Come for a Peaceful short meander up the river with me....

hollydolly

SF VIP
A few days ago we went boating at the local river.. just took out the little 4 person's motorboat, which travels about 4mph...

We timed it just right, the day before the children broke up for Easter holidays, and the river gets very busy with canoes , sailing boats, and tripper boats , so it was wonderfully peaceful and calm. I took a Video just 6 minutes long, to give you an idea what it's like in preference to photos...

( the voices you may hear in the background are a few people in the distance walking along the towpath)

Nice!

Very peaceful. About a minute 10 seconds in, there's a long, dark blue boat? I think it is, on the right hand side. I've never seen a water craft life that. What is it?

Nice video, Holly. Thing is, most of the boats in your video are different than the boats we've seen on the river or Intracoastal here. Definitely different than the boats that go on the lakes in Colorado.

The boat you are filming from appears to be a bowrider and there are many of them here in the U.S., but it's the boats that are tied up that look different. Apparently those are houseboats and one lake here in the U.S. is very, very popular with houseboats...…….Lake Mead and Lake Powell.

Funny thing is, when we are cruising around a lake, we love to have our cd player on HIGH with Classic Rock songs, like Heart or Van Halen.

Ronni, the long Blue boat is a Narrow boat ( or canal Boat)..sometimes known as a Barge... They are Houseboats. We have a 4 berth which is 70 feet long, that's the longest you can have.

there's a smaller one coloured green at the end of the video ...The narrow boats are only permitted on the Canals not on the open seas...

Most are moored up during the winter and don't go out, but now it's easter the waterways will get much busier with them, mostly hired ones for day trips and holidays throughout the summer

This is our own boat...

matty.jpg

Here most people like to cruise on the river quietly, no-one would be thankful for someone else's music blasting out ....

You mean you folks in the UK are like us here in the U.S., where, not only do boats blast their music on the water, but cars have Boom Box type speakers in them and blast music, like Rap, with the windows down. This doesn't happen all over America, but definitely does where we live.

We have Wake Board boats here with large speakers on the bar where the Wake Boards connect to overhead of the cockpit.

Or, as Dan Ackroyd says to John Candy, in the movie The Great Outdoors...…."do you want to cruise the lake in a pontoon boat or skim the waves in a jet boat?"

You mean you folks in the UK are like us here in the U.S., where, not only do boats blast their music on the water, but cars have Boom Box type speakers in them and blast music, like Rap, with the windows down. This doesn't happen all over America, but definitely does where we live.

We have Wake Board boats here with large speakers on the bar where the Wake Boards connect to overhead of the cockpit.

Or, as Dan Ackroyd says to John Candy, in the movie The Great Outdoors...…."do you want to cruise the lake in a pontoon boat or skim the waves in a jet boat?"

Absolutely Not !!!!!, I can't imagine anything more horrible while out boating.. or sailing...

Absolutely Not !!!!!, I can't imagine anything more horrible while out boating.. or sailing...

Sorry, we just aren't the "relaxing while cruising" type of couple. Now, when we are fishing it's different. I didn't know that UK boaters were so quiet?? But, then again, you're not a loud person anyway, are you?

Me either. Sounds very irritating.

That's my last word, hoping to avoid another long, drawn out argument.

No "long, drawn out argument" going to happen or happening. Just a difference in the way people boat. We just simply like hearing Joan Jett singing I Love Rock and Roll...…..not really loud, but loud enough. We don't serve wine on our boat either, only Bud Light and perhaps a shot of Butter Baby. Believe me, this old couple KNOWS how to party on the water! LOL

No "long, drawn out argument" going to happen or happening. Just a difference in the way people boat. We just simply like hearing Joan Jett singing I Love Rock and Roll...…..not really loud, but loud enough. We don't serve wine on our boat either, only Bud Light and perhaps a shot of Butter Baby. Believe me, this old couple KNOWS how to party on the water! LOL

We have wine and beer on our boat , we have a galley, so we have all cooking facilities.... ...we have music and a tv on the boat but we'd never play them loud enough to annoy other people..

if anyone was playing loud music on the river, they wouldn't be making any friends amongst the boating community I can assure you of that!!

We have wine and beer on our boat , we have a galley, so we have all cooking facilities.... ...we have music and a tv on the boat but we'd never play them loud enough to annoy other people..

if anyone was playing loud music on the river, they wouldn't be making any friends amongst the boating community I can assure you of that!!

Yes, but your music would be played inside of your boat, not outside. You wouldn't want to blast your guests ears apart. Like other boaters in the U.S., we play our music on the deck of our boat (outside). We don't have any speakers in our cuddy cabin.

Is your "boating community" an older one? A lot of boaters here are in their 20's thru 40's and they do love hearing their music loud. Apparently just different type of boaters here than there. Do people there drive around with their music blasting? Done quite a bit here.

Funny thing is, when we are cruising around a lake, we love to have our cd player on HIGH with Classic Rock songs, like Heart or Van Halen.
I'm sure the nearby boats appreciate your idea of good music ruining the serenity of the day. There's always one. Do you open your car windows and blast your crappy music as you cruise through quiet neighborhoods?

Yes, but your music would be played inside of your boat, not outside. You wouldn't want to blast your guests ears apart. Like other boaters in the U.S., we play our music on the deck of our boat (outside). We don't have any speakers in our cuddy cabin.

Is your "boating community" an older one? A lot of boaters here are in their 20's thru 40's and they do love hearing their music loud. Apparently just different type of boaters here than there. Do people there drive around with their music blasting? Done quite a bit here.

The boating community is all ages from 18 to 80 plus... the music we and they play is quiet can be heard by us on deck, not need for it to be louder for other boaters to be blasted with it...it's called respect Cody..!! As there are rules and respect for other drivers on the roads so there is a similar respect on the rivers and waterways..

I understand you have a little tiny boat that you rarely ever take out, why is that Cody?...is it because the younger ghetto music blasting youngsters around your waterways laugh at you both trying to look ''cool'' playing oldie Rock music at full blast..?

Whenever we go out on the water we actually try and be as quiet as can be because sound is amplified.
Most people seem to want to have a relaxing peaceful experience so the people blasting the music are often the ones ruining it for others. Most people who love the water understand that one.

My feeling is there is something fundamentally wrong with the jerks who find it necessary to prove how little they respect others by bombarding them with music they could play themselves if they wanted to hear it. If the offender is in a car here, they get a fat ticket!

Back