Compliments are wonderful....i think...

Well, I'm not sure this fits the definition of "compliment."

I've always looked young for my age...much younger.

Due to my looks, I was always required to show identification when purchasing alcoholic beverages. So I'm at the register one day and, of course, am asked for identification when the woman in line behind me leaps to my defense. "He's got to be at least 30," she says. "Look at his crow's feet!!!"

(for those who may not understand, "crow's feet" is a colloquialism for the age winkles at the sides of one's eyes)

I took it well. I told her to either fill out an application and get behind the counter, or to keep quiet until it was her turn.

Well, I'm not sure this fits the definition of "compliment."

I've always looked young for my age...much younger.

Due to my looks, I was always required to show identification when purchasing alcoholic beverages. So I'm at the register one day and, of course, am asked for identification when the woman in line behind me leaps to my defense. "He's got to be at least 30," she says. "Look at his crow's feet!!!"

(for those who may not understand, "crow's feet" is a colloquialism for the age winkles at the sides of one's eyes)

I took it well. I told her to either fill out an application and get behind the counter, or to keep quiet until it was her turn.
Had a lady in taco bell one day that asked me if I wanted my senior discount. I asked her just how old she thought I looked. She didn't believe I wasn't 55. She was like "really?" I ended up sliding my card back into my checkbook and leaving.

Had a lady in taco bell one day that asked me if I wanted my senior discount. I asked her just how old she thought I looked. She didn't believe I wasn't 55. She was like "really?" I ended up sliding my card back into my checkbook and leaving.
I have to laugh.

Those poor cashiers. If they ask, they've insulted you, and if they don't offer the discount the customer wets their pants (although that's a sure sign of qualifying.)

I've had a couple look at me and I could tell they could not decide whether to pull the trigger. I always tease them. It's not their fault.

After a very grueling, bumpy flight thanks to the weather all across the U.S. and the passengers were exiting the aircraft, I was standing at the doorway when the one passenger asked me, “What were in your last life, a stagecoach driver?” Then, he laughed and I just gave him a pleasant smile and nodded. (But, that’s not what I was thinking.)

Sometimes people think they are giving a compliment when they are actually insulting. When flying East to West into San Diego, the pilots have to fly over the tops of the buildings while landing. I was flying with a new First Officer who was with United only a month and never had made this trip, so he was unaware of the difficulty the landing was. He was going to handle this landing.

He did come in a bit lower than he should have, but it was still acceptable. Many pilots like to get low well before the airport, but that’s a different story. After we had landed and everyone was off the plane, the Purser told the F/O, “Nice landing, but you need to get higher over those buildings. I saw a bird hanging onto the side looking in the window.” Then, she kind of giggled. OK, point taken. I decided to let it go because the Purser is normally a very kind person, so I knew she didn’t mean to be cruel, just funny and I told the F/O the same.

After a very grueling, bumpy flight thanks to the weather all across the U.S. and the passengers were exiting the aircraft, I was standing at the doorway when the one passenger asked me, “What were in your last life, a stagecoach driver?” Then, he laughed and I just gave him a pleasant smile and nodded. (But, that’s not what I was thinking.)
Did you never get to say your real thoughts? Did you always have to be courteous, even when people were rude to you?

Did you never get to say your real thoughts? Did you always have to be courteous, even when people were rude to you?
I honestly believe that this crap of "The customer is always right" has done more to undermine civility than any other single thing.

The overt message is "If you have cash to spend, feel free to spit on us."

I applaud anyone who pushes back on that.

I honestly believe that this crap of "The customer is always right" has done more to undermine civility than any other single thing.

The overt message is "If you have cash to spend, feel free to spit on us."

I applaud anyone who pushes back on that.
If you want repeat business this is the way of it. Sometimes I feel like some of them wouldn't be that missed financially. :D

Yeah, just wait till some 8 year old kid comes in and calls them "old"...lol.
When I was 9 or so, I was uncanningly good at guessing the ages of adults...at least, that's how I recall it. I always wanted to be one of those "Guess Your Age/Weight" carnival guys.

So one day my father takes me into work with him, and this woman thought my shtick was cute until she asked how old I thought she was, and I looked her right in the eyes and said "55."

Game over.

I can still see the look on her face. 🤬

Not sure you can call it a compliment but the worst comment I ever had was in the way home from a UGA football game with my then-boyfriend and his brother, I fell asleep in the passenger seat. When I came to, I said, “ I must have dozed off”. Boyfriend's brother said, “ yeah, you looked like a dead possum.” Wow. Just wow

Not sure you can call it a compliment but the worst comment I ever had was in the way home from a UGA football game with my then-boyfriend and his brother, I fell asleep in the passenger seat. When I came to, I said, “ I must have dozed off”. Boyfriend's brother said, “ yeah, you looked like a dead possum.” Wow. Just wow
That's pretty funny.

But how can you tell a dead possum from one that's just playin'?

Back