Computer help please.

Re your computer getting slow, are you using an anti-virus program? Viruses and malware can slow down your computer. A good scan may help.

No, I'm not. Now that it is so much improved ..... I'll look into one. Thanks.

No, I'm not. Now that it is so much improved ..... I'll look into one. Thanks.
I'm glad that you are back to "normal," rgp. The computer speak suggestions went right over my head. A Browser? A What?
I like the F-key idea, I do a lot of that when the computer plays up. Questions like, "What are you running on?" Nike trainers of course. "No your computer, what does it run on?" Electricity you silly arse, and I thought that I was computer illiterate.

The sound on my computer turns itself off. I know how to restore it but it will go off again. My computer 'expert' has had a look, got the sound back and before he had left, it went off again. When the computer starts up, it has always magically restored the sound, only for it to go off at some point, just to annoy me and demonstrate that it's so much more clever than I am.

It has become so common that I don't even bother with it anymore, I just restore the sound if someone has posted a song or something amusing. Can I say that if anyone does have a suggestion, I like the quote by Mark Harmon as, Gibbs in NCIS, when he stares at McGee, who has just gone off on one of his techno-babble rants: "In English, McGee!"

I am somewhat familiar with computers. I have fixed many problems friends had with computer. BUT I cannot fix any problems people have with their computers if I do not have it in my hands, mostly because you are to illiterate about computers to describe the problem enough for me to understand what your problems is...so my best advice,,, take the ^*(($$( to a local shop so the tech their can have hands on and fix your problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I say true enough, most 'tech savvy geeks' are not all that. I have fixed problems those quote could not...oh and as an aside I have fixed mechanical problems with my car that 'mechanics' could not!!

A browser is a program that you browse (or surf) the Internet with. You're using one to post here. Common ones are Microsoft Edge, Firefox, etc.

I think Microsoft intentionally puts little bugaboos in their operating systems so that eventually you get tired and upgrade to a new operating system which of course would carry other bugaboos. Planned obsolescence.

More computer help please ......... Hope I don't wearout my welcome here :cautious:

Why does this thing just stop, when I'm scrolling ? Up or down, doesn't matter, it just stops, then after a minute or so, sometimes seconds, it moves again.

Dell laptop, windows 10, about seven-eight years old.

yes if you can follow directions........
go into browser settings and uncheck anything that says autoplay as most browsers will play videos while loading. also click the delete history button.

Last edited:
as an update to the slow loading problem above....the new ipv6/html5 programming now has the ability to lock your computer for a time while it loads its advertisement. someone has to pay for the internet and you as a surfer suffer that payment by allowing those ads to play on your computer....advertising is BIG buiness.. without doing much more research I dont know if you can block all the ads. it dosnt matter which browser you are using your search engine is still likely some google product,try www.duckduckgo.com

more advice....
there are two ways to restart your computer.
1. warmboot.....just click the restart icon. this is not the best way...there are programs called tsr(terminate and stay resident) that will remain in high memory.
2. coldboot..the best way.turn off the computer for at least twenty seconds.

Some time back, my screen went to a black background, not sure why . First, I would like to get back to the normal white / blue , and so far have found no way .

But ........ my second concern is. In email, I have lost the ability to 'mass' delete. I can only delete by clicking on each email one @ a time. .......... I now have over 7[seven] hundred in my promotional tab !! A very long P.I.A. process.

Any ideas ? Any help appreciated.
on all delimmas-unplug -hold to power button while unplugged and router too.....for some minutes ...plug back in and reboot......

Some time back, my screen went to a black background, not sure why . First, I would like to get back to the normal white / blue , and so far have found no way .

But ........ my second concern is. In email, I have lost the ability to 'mass' delete. I can only delete by clicking on each email one @ a time. .......... I now have over 7[seven] hundred in my promotional tab !! A very long P.I.A. process.

Maybe it happened because you called my two favorite artists "screech queens". Karma is a bitch. ;)

Go the the upper right hand corner (...) when you are on line click it then click on Settings in the right column then on the left column click Appearance

A good idea also when PC running fine is to create a RESTORE point, (me once a week)then if anything goes pear shaped can always revert back to a previous date when all was well. Microsoft are notorious for messing up computers with some of their updates!!

Back