Computer Security Question

I change my wifi password from time to time and is very easy really..you need to access your router and to do this type 192.168.1.1 in the browser address bar...Access to your router now available,will be asked for login and password normally is "admin" for both, if not opening with this will written on the back of the router.
All configuration options are now available, just click WIRELESS and proceed to change. My router below.

Maybe on your computer - mine does nothing when I type this in.

Secure wifi requires a password before allowing you to connect to the network.

When out and about I never connect to public wifi, such as those available at coffee shops, etc.
Yes, my home wifi requires a password before signing in for the first time with each device.

My computers aren't networked with each other. On the rare occasions when I need to transfer a file from one to another, I email it or put it on a thumb drive.

Normally one of these: router’s default IP address (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). or google your routers IP address IE Netgear or whatever the brand.

Some interesting thoughts on this, to remove completely 100 % sure you would have to format or fill a hard drive to remove your data. The system simply removes the headers hiding your data from you, not removing it. Formatting the drive removes it, filling the drive writes it over. Or it did 20 years ago. Best protection, unplug your internet line.

Much of what my son suggests you are already doing.

Passwords:
  • Use upper and lowercase letters
  • Use special characters
  • The longer the password the better, but no fewer than eight characters
  • Use two factor authentication
  • Change passwords every ninety days, monthly is even better.
  • Use different passwords for each online instance that requires a password
  • Don't allow browsers to save your password
  • Don't store unencrypted passwords on your computer
  • Keep written lists of passwords separate from your computer.
  • If password lists are stored on your phone password protect them
Computers
  • Use antivirus/malware/pop-up blocker/ransomware protection software
  • Use VPN (Virtual Private Network) software
  • Don't open emails or email attachments from unknown sources
  • Keep your software updated
  • Secure your wifi and periodically change the password
  • Remove and destroy hard drives before trashing old computers
Just coming back to this. Over the past week I changed all passwords that connect to financials or shopping. Next up will be my email passwords - total pain in the neck because I use an email client that signs in and downloads all my messages. Have been considering moving to Outlook anyway though.

I haven't changed the router password because it will be such a hassle to reset our TVs and security cameras. With none of our computers being networked with each other, it's hard to know how important this is.

Just coming back to this. Over the past week I changed all passwords that connect to financials or shopping. Next up will be my email passwords - total pain in the neck because I use an email client that signs in and downloads all my messages. Have been considering moving to Outlook anyway though.

I haven't changed the router password because it will be such a hassle to reset our TVs and security cameras. With none of our computers being networked with each other, it's hard to know how important this is.
Do you live in an apartment or condo? Do other family members, friends or friends of either of these two groups have access to your wifi? Have you notice a marked reduction in Internet speed for no apparent reason? If not and your current password is strong, I would not be too concerned with changing it. There is software (some free) that you can use to see who is on your network, but then again this might be over kill.

Do you live in an apartment or condo? Do other family members, friends or friends of either of these two groups have access to your wifi? Have you notice a marked reduction in Internet speed for no apparent reason? If not and your current password is strong, I would not be too concerned with changing it. There is software (some free) that you can use to see who is on your network, but then again this might be over kill.
Private home. I just checked my network and recognize all the sign ins. That's when I realized how many passwords I'd have to update if I change the router PW! :eek:

If you have Comcast/Xfinity, you can go to their website or app and see which devices are connected to your network.
I can look at my router through my computer. It shows everything that's using the router and how it's connected (wifi or ethernet). Shows each camera, our Alexa, laptops, phones and TVs. Everything is individually connected, nothing networked to each other.

Back