Cost of getting hair cut

I haven't had my hair cut since the pandemic started. It's kind of fun, seeing what I look like with long(ish) hair for the first time in about 50 years. And it's saved me an incredible amount of money!

I go to a hairdresser who owns her own shop and has other beauticians working for her.
She charges $44 for a cut and blow out, so with tip it is $50.

I got a Walmart salon haircut once and she did an awful job. It was different lengths on each side and she couldn't make it even after two extra try's. My husband ended up fixing her mistake. I'm sure there are some hairdressers there who do good haircuts, I just didn't happen to find one. It seems like it was under $30.

My husband does as well for trim ups as I can get professionally cut.

I haven't had my hair cut since the pandemic started. It's kind of fun, seeing what I look like with long(ish) hair for the first time in about 50 years. And it's saved me an incredible amount of money!

Me, too, but I'm going to have to trim my bangs, at least, because they now actually get into my eyes and irritate them. I hate to try to cut my own hair because I have hard to manage hair in the first place and if it is badly cut it is even worse.

I guess it doesn't really matter much because anymore I don't go much of anywhere or see much of anybody anyway. And my dog Henry doesn't mind what I look like, tho I don't think he approves of sunglasses.

I have gone twice since the salons were allowed to open. I have an appointment for later this month. It is $20. and I give her a $5. tip. It is worth it for me.

I haven't had a haircut or salon visit since early January. Was about to go when California shut down the salons.

A minor silver lining of COVID - Being at home 99.9% of the time has made it easy to try growing out the gray. Turns out I quite like it. Am enjoying longer hair, too. When salons reopen and I'm comfortable going, I'll have my hair cut, but not as short as before. May have a few blonde highlights added, but no more brown or lowlights.

I used to get a cut AND color and it was about $120 every 5 weeks and $150 if I had highlights.
In January I decided to go gradually gray and natural, which I am LOVING. Now I get a haircut every 5 weeks and I pay $45 plus a tip. She does a gorgeous cut. I'm happy and I save money!

My short hair grows quickly and loses its shape because it’s thick. Every 5 or 6 weeks, I go for a cut only. Even though I’ve washed it, she conditions and rinses it. A very quick blow out prior to shaping it some more. With tax it’s around $50. Also I tip and it was more because she was off for four months this year. She’s a nice young kid.

I’m trying to extend the length of time between cuts, so tonight I got out my thinning shears. It feels better even if it doesn’t look better.

DH only wants to go to a barber. His didn’t open as quickly as the salons. In desperation he went to a Super Cuts type place. At least it was cut. Next time he returned to his barber. There was a lineup. I think for the cut only, he pays $17, plus tip.

@Kadee46 thanks for the tip about TAFE Hairdressing Campuses
We go to the University Of Adelaide Magill Campus for our Podiatry....really good thorough job done by final year students
overseen by a qualified Podiatrist who has her own Private Practice
Fortunately we have 2 local hairdressers one that Bob likes and one that I like and neither 'charge an arm and a leg'
I have medium length 'salt and pepper' hair and I get mine cut 2-3 times a year @ $30 a time
Bob gets his hair cut about 5-6 times a year @ $20 a time
I really don't know why most women's hairdressing is so hugely expensive either?
I know some styles and treatments might warrant extra but $90 for a cut....I'm glad you went elsewhere
Our hair salons are open and have been for 2 months but all precautions taken 💇‍♀️

Last edited:
@Kadee46 thanks for the tip about TAFE Hairdressing Campuses
We go to the University Of Adelaide Magill Campus for our Podiatry....really good thorough job done by final year students
overseen by a qualified Podiatrist who has her own Private Practice
Fortunately we have 2 local hairdressers one that Bob likes and one that I like and neither 'charge an arm and a leg'
I have medium length 'salt and pepper' hair and I get mine cut 2-3 times a year @ $30 a time
Bob gets his hair cut about 5-6 times a year @ $20 a time
I really don't know why most women's hairdressing is so hugely expensive either?
I know some styles and treatments might warrant extra but $90 for a cut....I'm glad you went elsewhere
Our hair salons are open and have been for 2 months but all precautions taken 💇‍♀️
I found them quite good @peramangkelder think the last time I had a cut and they suggested a wash out colour it cost me $9. ( total ) I only have short fine hair
TAFE is walking distance from King William street, I leave the car out at the parklands ( free 4 hour car park ) near where Coke cola was and catch tram into city
https://www.tafesa.edu.au/docs/defa...client-salon-price-list.pdf?sfvrsn=4c52f415_6

When I could go to a hair dresser and have it done prior to this pandemic, it was $25.00 plus tip for a simple cut. Now, I've had to resort to doing my own and while it isn't such a terrific job, it serves the purpose. Might just stay this course.

Back