Cost of getting hair cut

I'm lucky. My bathroom has a mirror on the door and movable mirrors on the vanity. I can stand there and see the back as well as the front of my head.

I have been cutting my own hair for at least five years now using a battery operated gadget called Just a Trim. So I just trim every second day or so. It only takes a few minutes. I can even do the back.

I hated barbers. They take up time and I hated waiting. And now in our area you need an appointment. They charge about $20 .

For a female though the salons are a lucrative business styling and cutting.

Those attachments to the trimmer can be taken off for a close trim and the handle pulls out as an extension.

Attachments

• trimmer.png
    trimmer.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 38
Wow this thread has been a revelation to me and I'll keep my long hair cause I'm obviously saving money doing so. :love_heart: I like it better anyway.

I usually go to the Classic Cut when I get a coupon, normally $18, $15 with the discount. I've gotten a couple of cuts at more expensive stylists over the years, but there's really not much difference. I keep my hair around shoulder length, sometimes with layers and bangs. I do cut my own bangs at home if they start sticking in my eyes. I cut my husband's hair, have for years, he just doesn't want to bother going out to get it done and he's happy with the way I do it, back in the day when it was longer and now that he keeps it short.

My wife trims my beard when it gets too scruffy. I haven't had my hair cut for about 20 years. I've gone fairly bald on top, but the bit that's left has remained a constant shoulder length. I sometimes make it into a pony tail.

Mrs. T pays £12 ($15) for a trim every 6 weeks.

I used to trim my husband’s hair for him with the clippers but now he’s learned how to do it himself and does a fairly nice job.
He has cowlicks and when his hair is more than 1/2 an inch long they show up and stick out so he usually trimmed once a month. If he leaves it too long then trims sometimes he gets white patches where the sun hasn’t seen his scalp which can look a bit odd at times. He’s not too fuzzy about his hair. It’s always super short.

Like others have mentioned I go to the local Supercuts every few months.

The price is different almost every time I go but I always give them $20.00.

I think the stylists that know me punch in every discount/coupon they can find so they get to keep a little more for themselves. :):playful::eek:nthego:

Short simple white hair, long long time Supercuts fan. I try other places once in a while but I keep going back, usually about every 2 months. Now about $17.50 for just cut including $5 tip.
I use Supercuts too. With coupon 14.95 not including tip. Best cut I ever got. I cringe too at what I paid when working at salons

In my experience it’s tough finding a trustworthy hair dresser.
Most are only in it for the money.

:laugh: Of course they're in it for the money, Keesh. That's the way they earn a living. Besides, many small salons are owned by the hair dresser, who has to pay rent, utilities, insurance, etc. It's like any other business, especially if you aren't working for a chain.

:laugh: Of course they're in it for the money, Keesh. That's the way they earn a living. Besides, many small salons are owned by the hair dresser, who has to pay rent, utilities, insurance, etc. It's like any other business, especially if you aren't working for a chain.

Yes. I didn’t explain that well.
What I mean is that many hairdressers don’t try and offer you a cut that you can manage well on your own. They give you a cut that needs maintaining every 6 to 8 weeks. Usually they like to add layers everywhere. Layered hair is difficult to self maintain since you’d have to trim the layers at the same place. Most people can’t do that so you go back and get new layers everywhere.

My last hair dresser worked from home. When I made the appointment I told her that I didn’t want my hair washed and would wash it myself before I got there. I don’t like getting my hair washed by anyone else. All I wanted was an inch trimmed off the back of my hair. It was a super easy hair cut to give but she decided to add layers instead even though I’d told her I’d been patiently growing them out for two years . She didn’t care. She washed my hair with silicone filled shampoo, even though I didn’t want it. Gave me layers even though I didn’t want it and used the blow dryer when I’d asked her not to.

ALL so she could charge me for a fancy ‘cut & blow dry,’ instead of the basic trim I wanted.
That was the LAST TIME I went to a hairdresser. I paid a fortune to have someone do whatever they wanted with my hair.

What I should have done is walked out but I didn’t want to appear rude.

People in the business have told me this is often how they make their money.
Many hairdressers view themselves as hairstyle artists and our hair is what they practice on.
There are some nasty hairdressers out there who don’t like long hair.
Ask anyone with long hair and you’ll find this to be true.

So yes of course it’s a business but like any business, there can be much deception.

Note: I would have paid full price just to have the basic trim I wanted instead of being tricked.

It costs me nothing because I've been cutting my own to save money. You can get books on how to cut your own too or just kind of measure how much you want to cut off and then chop it off.

The place I used to get my hair cut at charges around $20.00 now.

she has yet to charge me for her services

...but she's only been doin' it for 50 years, so we'll see

X9De27V.png

KBbsLfW.jpg

she also taught me the art of sitting still

It costs me nothing because I've been cutting my own to save money. You can get books on how to cut your own too or just kind of measure how much you want to cut off and then chop it off.

I've thought many times about trying to do that.

Wish I were as brave and talented as you !!

The YouTube instructions Keesha posted are pretty good, they are a good guide for for cutting someone else’s hair as well
Just in case I missed saying thanks
:thanks: Keesha

I wear my hair in a short style. I get it trimmed & blow-dried every 5 weeks. Costs me $50 including tip. I do my own color.

I've been going to a guy 20 miles away for 10 years. I can't believe he still charges the same - $25.00. I always tip him $8.00.

I pay $10, plus $2 tip, at the local small town barbershop....usually 6 ot 7 times a year. My wife, OTOH, goes to the local beauty shop religiously every month for a basic trim....$30, and every other month for the full treatment...coloring, etc....$60....Oh, Well.

$25 for cut and style. I color my own since most stylists don't do red well. Mine was originally a medium auburn but is almost all white now. I mix three colors to get a light coppery, golden brown.

A lot of help we lot are. I cut mine also and have for the last 7 years or so.
I’ve got 3 feet of hair and hairdressers just want to create their ‘own’ style using my hair.
No thank you.

In my experience it’s tough finding a trustworthy hair dresser.
Most are only in it for the money. When I did get my hair cut I’d go to Super Cuts and it was usually about $18. I’d give $25.
A family member I know goes to a hairdresser every couple of months for a cut and highlights. It cost her $300 each time.

If you have short hair and just want it layered short why not cut it yourself?
Turn your head upside down and brush all your hair thoroughly. Then comb it.
Add a covered elastic and tie it at the very top of your head. Cut all the hair above the elastic.
Note: you can adjust the elastic to lengthen your layers.

This is will give you a perfect layered haircut. If you aren’t sure how to do this look it up online.
Once you learn how to do this you won’t have to rely or depend on someone else’s competency.
Keesha, fantastic idea on the do it yourself method. Maybe when I'm retired, I'll try that. I'm not brave enough now when i'm still working.

I go to the little town I live by to get my hair done. I like to go to the local haircutter's. She does a fantastic job. I usually pay between $25.00 - $30.00 for a shampoo, cut and blow dry. If I have to color it, though, I pay about $80.00. I'm willing to pay this while I'm still working, and she does a great job of coloring. I get a lot of compliments on it.

I just found out about a men's hair place in town called Scissors and Scotch. A guy can go in get a great hair cut, hot towel, razor cut with a straight razor if you want, shampoo, head massage, absolutely the works. Oh, and you also get a free drink while you're there. They have high end alcohol and beer. I'm thinking of getting a gift card to this place for my husband for his birthday. Do you think he'd like it? ;)

Keesha, fantastic idea on the do it yourself method. Maybe when I'm retired, I'll try that. I'm not brave enough now when i'm still working.

I go to the little town I live by to get my hair done. I like to go to the local haircutter's. She does a fantastic job. I usually pay between $25.00 - $30.00 for a shampoo, cut and blow dry. If I have to color it, though, I pay about $80.00. I'm willing to pay this while I'm still working, and she does a great job of coloring. I get a lot of compliments on it.

I just found out about a men's hair place in town called Scissors and Scotch. A guy can go in get a great hair cut, hot towel, razor cut with a straight razor if you want, shampoo, head massage, absolutely the works. Oh, and you also get a free drink while you're there. They have high end alcohol and beer. I'm thinking of getting a gift card to this place for my husband for his birthday. Do you think he'd like it? ;)

Yes I think that’s an awesome idea. Why not pamper your man. I think he’ll like it; especially knowing you thought for him. It’s usually the women that get spoiled but men of worthy of spoiling also.

I cut my own hair (haven't been to a beauty parlor since August 2011) and have nothing but compliments when I do. I can't say whether the remarks are sincere or if my hair is so ugly, people are over-compensating. All I can say is that I am certainly not going to be in any beauty contests and if I make a boo-boo, it will grow out in a few weeks. I have wavy hair, too. A photo of me at the last senior's club Christmas party:

Dec 2018a.jpg

Back