Cup or Mug?

Treacle

My grandmother always drank from a cup with a saucer (bone china I might add). We may have been working -class but we had standards. ☺ We children did the same. Can't remember when I started drinking from a mug. But it seems to me that a cup and saucer was for tea and mugs for coffee. Would guess that we now drink more coffee than tea hence the mugs. Can't remember the last time I saw a cup and saucer or anyone drinking out of one:unsure:

I prefer a mug.

9980812.jpg

Class Aunt Marg, happy to 'virtually' take you to tea at the Ritz with cucumber sandwiches :D
I'm in, Treacle! :)

This topic actually reminded me of my late single digit years and into my mid teen years, when I'd help serve tea at our church when the ladies would put on a bazaar. All of the attendees (all women) dressed in proper formal attire (as in the picture above), complete with hats and gloves and sticking ones baby finger out just like you see in the movies.

There was baked goods and sandwiches, the kitchen abuzz with women in aprons turning-out tea and coffee in large batches, and then us younger girls serving tables and chatting up a storm with everyone. It was an event unto itself, lasting from late in the morning until late in the afternoon.

My grandmother always drank from a cup with a saucer (bone china I might add). We may have been working -class but we had standards. ☺ We children did the same. Can't remember when I started drinking from a mug. But it seems to me that a cup and saucer was for tea and mugs for coffee. Would guess that we now drink more coffee than tea hence the mugs. Can't remember the last time I saw a cup and saucer or anyone drinking out of one:unsure:
Would a mug and saucer count? :) IMG_20200705_122540_4CS.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 antique cups with saucers that belonged to my grandmother. I don't use them. One I could use. The other looks iffy. Many fine cracks in the glaze.

Back