Cure worse than the disease?

With 85 employees, he could have gotten a pretty big bailout through the PPP. Instead, it sounds like he used that money for remodeling. Plus, his father built that business -- he didn't...

Really? REALLY? A man tries to improve his business and you respond that way? Shame on you. Some people, you may be surprised to know, want to be self sufficient. This is so sad. So sad.

What concerns me is.... that hospitals get more government money for people who died from COVID, then if they died from something else.
So are they saying "oh Mr. SoandSo died of covid, when in reality he died of injures due to the auto accident. If anyone in the hospital has a fever and dies ... Oh they died of COVID, when 5 tests show negative for COVID.
So are the COVID death numbers really as high as they say they are, or are they that high because of greed?

What concerns me is.... that hospitals get more government money for people who died from COVID, then if they died from something else.
So are they saying "oh Mr. SoandSo died of covid, when in reality he died of injures due to the auto accident. If anyone in the hospital has a fever and dies ... Oh they died of COVID, when 5 tests show negative for COVID.
So are the COVID death numbers really as high as they say they are, or are they that high because of greed?

Hospitals do get reimbursed for COVID deaths. But falsifying a DRG for gain is a Federal crime. Any hospital administrator doing that would go away for a long, long time.

Our COVID death numbers seem high because our system is pretty good and the numbers are kept accurately. We really have no idea about places like Mexico, Brazil or India.

What I can't understand is all this paranoia about hospitals, doctors, etc. "lying" about the number of COVID cases, in order to get some more money. These people are exhausted, working around the clock, living through incredible tragedies with their patients. This is not some kind of poker game played by clever gamblers, it's a worldwide plague of Biblical proportions. We have not lived through anything like it in modern times, and maybe the only mental resources some of us can summon up is looking for the same old nasty economic motives that drive a lot of businesses. That's just applying old patterns of thinking to a hideous situation that is new to us.

What I can't understand is all this paranoia about hospitals, doctors, etc. "lying" about the number of COVID cases, in order to get some more money. These people are exhausted, working around the clock, living through incredible tragedies with their patients. This is not some kind of poker game played by clever gamblers, it's a worldwide plague of Biblical proportions. We have not lived through anything like it in modern times, and maybe the only mental resources some of us can summon up is looking for the same old nasty economic motives that drive a lot of businesses. That's just applying old patterns of thinking to a hideous situation that is new to us.

Well said, Sunny!

What is the source of your assertion that hospitals "get more money for people who died from covid?"

It is my understanding that hospitals get money for the services rendered to patients, rather than their causes of death. Perhaps they get more money, if they do, for having to take heightened precautions for covid patients, or for having to cut back on routine surgeries, etc., in an effort to halt the spread of covid.

If our officials had paid attention at the beginning instead of trying to gloss it over, maybe we'd be like many other countries that got a grip on it early and rode it out (so far) with proportionately far less illness and resulting deaths.

Too little - to late and still we have no nationwide plan to handle it. Seems like every state (and county) for themselves. The above is a sad tale and no one can feel other than sad when reading it. If these folks had their restaurant in Florida, they might well have still been open with no precautions whatever, masks, social distancing, etc..

Maybe after the election, no matter who wins, there will be some sensible handling of the crisis when decision can be made by our medical and scientific community. In the meantime folks like this will continue to suffer due to political motives.
You are exactly right Dave. Way back in November, the intelligence community issued a warning that was not heeded. Then the lies (glossing over is too kind a term). The handling of this has been unconscionable....criminal even.

Re the OP: @Sunny I read about a restaurant owner who increased business during the height of the pandemic by offering take out with a gift for each customer.....toilet paper or paper towels, which of course was in very short supply at the time. I thought it was genius. While I feel for the business owner you posted about as well as many others, allowing indoor dining and other indoor activities has proven to be a bad idea, even a fatal one. It's a tragic situation for business owners.

Some of those who ridiculed the idea of how serious this virus is have been shown they were wrong. Some didn't live to tell about it. And unfortunately, some were leaders of congregations whose congregants also got infected. The over 208,000 who have died are un-living proof of just how serious a situation this is and will continue to be if not properly contained. Unfortunately dumb politics have entered into this rather than following the science and epidemiologists who are trained in how to contain pandemics "It’s like Trump said: The cure has been worse than the disease." Yeah....I guess so because he sat on this for months (he knew since November), then misled the public about it's seriousness along with discrediting his own Pandemic team!!

Last edited:
Hospitals do get reimbursed for COVID deaths. But falsifying a DRG for gain is a Federal crime. Any hospital administrator doing that would go away for a long, long time.

Our COVID death numbers seem high because our system is pretty good and the numbers are kept accurately. We really have no idea about places like Mexico, Brazil or India.

And any doctor who would falsify a death certificate is endangering his license in addition to risking jail time. Why would one of them take the chance of risking their freedom and livelihood to get a few more $$ for the hospital they work for? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Sadly, we haven't seen nothin' yet.

This is my feeling also. Just wait til it's winter, there's a serious second wave due to enclosed recirculated air, a foot of snow on the ground, bone chilling temps, supply chain disruptions, financial destitution, and let's not forget, in the US, a civil war.

The cure is as bad as the disease for those who have been hurt by it. My friend who moved to TN is no better off there. Another friend of mine moved back to my state because he can no longer manage financially where he was.
I don't know if he's living with friends and don't want to embarrass him by asking.

6 houses went up for sale in my neighborhood in Sept. A rarity up here because it takes time to sell a house and no one wants to move in the winter weather we get. Neighbors are even selling their furniture and I don't live in a socio - economically depressed area. So far none of the houses have sold. I've thought of moving and taking mom w/me but what if we go through all that just to encounter the same trouble in another state if they change their rules and mandates similar to ours making life equally impossible?

What is the government's grand plan here? To keep us all alive to face financial ruin in our senior years? How does this help anyone?

And those who are not hurting financially as of yet will do so in the future when pensions and benefits are cut to the bone. Only billionaires will survive, for a time.

This whole thing was handled badly from the beginning and I have no clue how people are expected to survive this either way.

That's just my 2 cents on the situation.

If our officials had paid attention at the beginning instead of trying to gloss it over, maybe we'd be like many other countries that got a grip on it early and rode it out (so far) with proportionately far less illness and resulting deaths.

Too little - to late and still we have no nationwide plan to handle it. Seems like every state (and county) for themselves. The above is a sad tale and no one can feel other than sad when reading it. If these folks had their restaurant in Florida, they might well have still been open with no precautions whatever, masks, social distancing, etc..

Maybe after the election, no matter who wins, there will be some sensible handling of the crisis when decision can be made by our medical and scientific community. In the meantime folks like this will continue to suffer due to political motives.
I love the way you worded that, Dave... "gloss it over".

You couldn't have said it any better.

It's a bit of a tough call.

Here's what puzzles me;

Worldwide deaths from TB; 1.5 million last year

Worldwide deaths from Covid-19 since March to now; less than a million

No pandemic/masks for TB?
This is an interesting comparison, it motivated me to read a little about TB. I remember in elementary school we all got TB tests every year, and my daughter has to get them for her job. According to the laws in my state, if a person has TB and won't isolate and correctly take treatment, they can be involuntarily committed for treatment. It sounds like serious stuff. I suspect if TB was pandemic in my state we would be on serious restrictions.

Right now the "excess death rate" (number above or below average weekly deaths) is lower, rather than higher than average. So fewer people in the US are dying each week than there were before the virus.

I don't know how that should affect public health policy, if at all.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid
Perhaps it means that we should keep the restaurants closed because apparently more people survive without their high-calorie unhealthy menu choices?

Perhaps it means that we should keep the restaurants closed because apparently more people survive without their high-calorie unhealthy menu choices?
That may not help because fast-food joints allow outside dining......cheeseburger, fries & coke? :ROFLMAO:

Back