Dana’s Personal Classic Faves

@CinnamonSugar and @Dana Thanks for the information. I guess that this technique also prevents the dancers from becoming dizzy? This clip was also on Youtube and I think the ballerina wanders a long way down and across the stage. Would that mean she hasn't perfected the art of "Spotting"? Also noticed she doesn't perform any double fouettes at all. Most comments were very positive but one written in French was quite scathing.

Interested to hear your comments.

@CinnamonSugar and @Dana Thanks for the information. I guess that this technique also prevents the dancers from becoming dizzy? This clip was also on Youtube and I think the ballerina wanders a long way down and across the stage. Would that mean she hasn't perfected the art of "Spotting"? Also noticed she doesn't perform any double fouettes at all. Most comments were very positive but one written in French was quite scathing.

Interested to hear your comments.

While Odile’s fouettés are supposed to stay rooted to one spot, not many dancers are able to accomplish this, some even avoided fouettes altogether. If the incredible Margot Fonteyn was criticised for wandering around the stage as she spun, then the critics can be more lenient with Sharon Wehner, especially if they have not danced themselves let alone ever done a fouetté! Her “spotting” was spot on, or she’d be lying on the stage in a dizzy heap!

André Rieu - Lippen Schweigen (from The Merry Widow)

While Odile’s fouettés are supposed to stay rooted to one spot, not many dancers are able to accomplish this, some even avoided fouettes altogether. If the incredible Margot Fonteyn was criticised for wandering around the stage as she spun, then the critics can be more lenient with Sharon Wehner, especially if they have not danced themselves let alone ever done a fouetté! Her “spotting” was spot on, or she’d be lying on the stage in a dizzy heap!
Ah, okay, thanks again for the information. I wasn't sure if it had to do with "spotting" or not. If staying in one spot is so difficult then would it be right to say that Marianela Nuñez performance was exceptionally good?

Sorry to keep bothering you, but you said some dancers avoid fouettes altogether. Are they part of the original choreography and do some choreographers leave them out and replace them with something else?

I'll have to try to learn spotting because I'm about ready to fall out of my chair if my grandchildren spin me around a couple of times

Ah, okay, thanks again for the information. I wasn't sure if it had to do with "spotting" or not. If staying in one spot is so difficult then would it be right to say that Marianela Nuñez performance was exceptionally good?

Sorry to keep bothering you, but you said some dancers avoid fouettes altogether. Are they part of the original choreography and do some choreographers leave them out and replace them with something else?

I'll have to try to learn spotting because I'm about ready to fall out of my chair if my grandchildren spin me around a couple of times

The only two ballets that require 32 fouettes are Swan Lake and Don Quixote. Some dancers avoid fouettes and instead do piqué en dedans (turns in a circle) or even do a mix of both. Any changes are of course approved by both choreographer and artistic director.
:)

This story makes me feel so warm inside. Little Audrey Nethery, loves dancing. She suffers from Diamond Blackfan Anemia (DBA). It is a rare disorder when the bone marrow is unable to produce enough red cells. Sadly, this is a life-threatening condition that influences the body’s ability to circulate oxygen, and it has resulted in many health problems for the young child. The New York City Ballet helped Audrey realise her dream to dance on the ballet stage! 🌹🌹🌹

Only one word is needed in his case...love him!! Is there a favourite clip of his dancing that you like CinnamonSugar? You may have seen this one before.....

Only one word is needed in his case...love him!! Is there a favourite clip of his dancing that you like CinnamonSugar? You may have seen this one before.....

Yes, @Dana, I've watched just about anything I could get my hands on with him in it...

You've probably seen White Nights... This Roland Petit piece from the opening scene is so amazing... He does the most incredible things and some so quickly, you're left like, "Wait a min, did he just do what I think he did??" (For example, the--I believe--triple mid-air turn at 1:11) The control of his body, the ability to dance at that level and give a believable acting performance as well... Absolutely the best!

Yes, CinnamonSugar…I have seen White Nights. I found it quite disturbing but also mesmerizing. It must have taken a great deal of courage for him to dance that opening scene considering his own mother died by suicide. Here’s a longer version of the opening sequence….

Last edited:
E. Waldteufel - Les Patineurs The Skaters Op. 183

Kuss-Walzer op. 400 - Johann Strauss II

The wonderful Swedish tenor Jussi Björling

Yes, one of my Father’s favourite singers too…he particularly liked this duet with Victoria de los Angeles

Shame The Culture and Leisure Committee in Borlänge have decided that they cannot be bothered to continue funding the Jussi Björling Museum.

Yes, one of my Father’s favourite singers too…he particularly liked this duet with Victoria de los Angeles

Shame The Culture and Leisure Committee in Borlänge have decided that they cannot be bothered to continue funding the Jussi Björling Museum.
How odd, I listened to that as well and couldn't decide on which one to post so I settled for Nessun Dorma.

Apparently Luciano Pavarotti said in an interview in a Swedish newspaper in 1988 that when he was going to study a new role he always listened to how Jussi Björling had sung it, that he hoped he would be compared to Jussi and that was how he strove to sing. He also said how he regretted never having been able to perform with that other great Swedish Opera singer Birgit Nilsson.

Yes, sadly the Jussi Björling Museum closed at the end of last year. A decline over the years in the number of visitors and costs were the reasons given. Parts of the collection will be put on permanent display at the Borlänge public library which is small cconsolation for the Jussi Björling Society.

Odd fact. Jussi Björling is buried in the Stora Tuna church cemetery as is my Swedish great grandfather

Beautiful @Dana and @Glowworm .... so much lovely music to lift the heart!
How about something to get the adrenaline pumping? Classic dance/song fave from West Side Story

PS--wonder how the new version will compare???

Thanks both of you! CinnamonSugar.. enjoyed that clip. I love the original West Side Story…simply enchanted with Natalie Wood and, of all the dancers, my favourite was George Chakiris. When I was little and studying ballet, our teacher said, she was good friends with him..lucky lady! I am not too sure if I would like the Stephen Speilberg adaptation of West Side Story.

I loved Cyd Charisse too..what do you think of her dancing? I loved her talent for being able to dance any style. Being classically trained in Russian ballet certainly helped. A clip you may enjoy, you've probably seen it already!

Thanks both of you! CinnamonSugar.. enjoyed that clip. I love the original West Side Story…simply enchanted with Natalie Wood and, of all the dancers, my favourite was George Chakiris. When I was little and studying ballet, our teacher said, she was good friends with him..lucky lady! I am not too sure if I would like the Stephen Speilberg adaptation of West Side Story.

I loved Cyd Charisse too..what do you think of her dancing? I loved her talent for being able to dance any style. Being classically trained in Russian ballet certainly helped. A clip you may enjoy, you've probably seen it already!

Wow, @Dana, that was fabulous... yes she was so talented. I loved her comment about her partners in the musicals, "My husband could always tell who I'd been dancing with: if I had bruises all over, I'd been dancing with Gene Kelly. If I had no bruises, I'd been dancing with Fred Astaire." :LOL: And if I could ever switch body parts with someone else I would want Cyd's legs! haha

Translation: Songs my mother taught me,

In the days long vanished;

Seldom from her eyelids

Were the teardrops banished.

Now I teach my children,

Each melodious measure.

Oft the tears are flowing, Oft they flow from my memory's treasure.

🌹 🌹 🌹 🌹 🌹 🌹

A wonderful Mother's Day to all the Moms... Carers...all the people who look after children who do not have a mother...all the Dads who take on the mothering role...bless you.. enjoy your day...

💐💐💐💐💐💐💐

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

My Darling Mother loved Pavarotti…so in her honour today…

💐💐💐💐💐💐💐

Back