Dealing with the VA about issues

TennVet

A while back my cardiologist diagnosed me with AFIB, fortunately treatable with some more pills. Then the VA decided to help me even more by scheduling an exam for sleep apnea, said it was part of the protocol when diagnosed with AFIB. I did some reading and there seemed to be some logic to it, even to my laymen's understanding. Here's the thing, a year or so ago while snorkeling I had an issue that ended with a panic attach and nearly ended up drowning. I have been unable to put a snorkel mask on again. Of course the preferred treatment for apnea is the CPAP gizmo.

I can reasonably accept that treating sleep apnea might allow me to quit taking the blood thinner and heart regulation medication prescribed, and I favor taking as few drugs as possible to maintain good health. Now as we look at alternates to the CPAP machine we keep running into issues that make each one we consider a no go. I couple my mask phobia along with the fact that stats say 50% or more persons discard the CPAP within the first year of starting. It may be a good treatment but I firm in saying its not for me. At this point I'm leaning toward the Inspire implant treatment, but there are a few hurdles to cross before that can be a reality.

I'm not unaccustomed to dealing with the VA on treatment and benefits, I view it as a process and maintain my position as a priority stakeholder when dealing with them. So far it has proven true for me that you must treat the VA as the beast that it is. It takes persistence, and using the word 'why' relentlessly, and sometimes you have to take it to the next authority level. We'll see how it turns out.

Good luck with that. (I mean that sincerely, and not at all sarcastically, as the phrase is sometimes meant. )

Hopefully your persistence and your excellent ability to clearly explain your very valid reasons, will pay off for you,
to eventually get the right match of treatment to your specific needs.

I don't know how the VA works, but I hope that they don't insist on the use some of the rigid required protocols, that some of the health systems now require....

that will only let a patient use a particular treatment that is not the usual go-to, if the other ones have been tried first, and failed.... that is, deemed not effective, or proven detrimental for that person, by some other outside authority.

That now common method of determining treatment options, might be appropriate or okay for some situations,

but obviously (to me) not in yours, and clearly not for some others, as well.

I hope it works out well for you and doesn't take too much extra delay time.

I've seen the advertisements for the Inspire Implant Treatment. I don't believe I could handle that. I've been on a VPAP machine with a Full Face Mask since 2008. I'm claustrophobic and the mask does not bother me at all. They also have all types of masks and small ones that only fit over your nose only. The upper portion of my heart was enlarged in 2008 and within a few years it went back to normal using the VPAP. CPAP / VPAP aren't for everybody. It takes a bit of getting use to. Some people just can't use them because sometimes they are a PITA to sleep with.
Which ever direction you decide to go, I wish you the best. Sleep Apnea is something to get fixed ASAP.

If you aren’t a mouth breather you can use the mask that is just a tube to your nose. There’s other small masks in between the hose to the nose and the full mask. I’m claustrophobic and it took getting used to but

I wear the full mask because I breathe through my mouth. I can’t imagine having surgery to have a device implanted for sleep apnea.

Good luck with that. (I mean that sincerely, and not at all sarcastically, as the phrase is sometimes meant. )

Hopefully your persistence and your excellent ability to clearly explain your very valid reasons, will pay off for you,
to eventually get the right match of treatment to your specific needs.

I don't know how the VA works, but I hope that they don't insist on the use some of the rigid required protocols, that some of the health systems now require....

that will only let a patient use a particular treatment that is not the usual go-to, if the other ones have been tried first, and failed.... that is, deemed not effective, or proven detrimental for that person, by some other outside authority.

That now common method of determining treatment options, might be appropriate or okay for some situations,

but obviously (to me) not in yours, and clearly not for some others, as well.

I hope it works out well for you and doesn't take too much extra delay time.
So far persistence has been my best ally, and I think it works in most areas, not just the VA.

Back