declutter

I am in desperate need to downsize and declutter- does anyone have any first hand experience with similar situations ?-most importantly a free local sell on line classifieds garage sale type of buy sell trade site—declutter convert to cash. These treasures are invaluable - most importantly I would like to avoid the hassle and uncertainty of craigslist. And the potential drama.

Nextdoor is another option.
I've used Nextdoor several times to sell things on and it's worked out pretty well. When cleaning out our garage I found 2 dryers, 1 washing machine and an old dishwasher. Don't know how long they had been in there but I knew it was longer than 5 years. Had no idea if they worked or just needed a part replaced. Had my nephew move them out by the road. He had moved one and was taking the second to the road. The first one had disappeared already. He went to put another at the road, got 2 down there this time. As he was walking in the house I saw someone stop and put them in their truck and drive off. Got them all cleared off the property in less than an hour. Now if I can just get rid of a 50 year old boat motor and a 40 ft sail!

I've used Nextdoor several times to sell things on and it's worked out pretty well. When cleaning out our garage I found 2 dryers, 1 washing machine and an old dishwasher. Don't know how long they had been in there but I knew it was longer than 5 years. Had no idea if they worked or just needed a part replaced. Had my nephew move them out by the road. He had moved one and was taking the second to the road. The first one had disappeared already. He went to put another at the road, got 2 down there this time. As he was walking in the house I saw someone stop and put them in their truck and drive off. Got them all cleared off the property in less than an hour. Now if I can just get rid of a 50 year old boat motor and a 40 ft sail!
Well done.

I've used Facebook Marketplace and local FB Online Garage Sale groups (you have to have a Facebook account to use these, though), Craig's List, and a regional classified magazine. However, I've virtually given up trying to sell individual items online. I either get no interest or a big hassle (i.e. people that don't show up when promised, or ones that keep asking for more an more details or photos with no intention of ever buying, or ask for a huge discount if they do actually show up). I'd prefer that if wanted to negotiate the price, they'd do it before arriving.

Take pictures of the things that have sentimental value to you. You might try eBay, except there's the hassle to take pictures, list, pack and ship and the nuisance of PayPal. Is Freecycle still around? Try that. No muss, no fuss, no bother. Tell them that the items will be at the curb and to help themselves. You won't make any money, but they'll be GONE. They aren't making you any money taking up space in your house, and for things that you've tried to sell (but haven't) when having yard sales, they are only worth something to you. I haven't missed anything that I've sold or given away in the process of downsizing. The benefit to me of not having all that stuff is incalculable. Priceless, actually, priceless.

Terry, if Deb were a hoarder, she wouldn't have yard sales and spend countless hours trying to figure out a way to unload her things. She's an only child with few living relatives who has inherited mountains of things that were, at one time, considered to be valued treasures. IMO, her problem now is that she can't reconcile the loss of monetary value of the items with the sentimental value. They meant a lot to her mother and have memories that mean a lot to her. Please don't dismiss her feelings with the sweeping generalization that all people who have a lot of "stuff" are hoarders.

IMO the whole clutter/hoarder thing is more about maintaining balance in your life than the actual stuff.

At some point, the law of diminishing marginal utility kicks in and you stop getting any satisfaction/thrill from accumulating more and more possessions yet you keep looking for that thrill.
420e88fe4d2c74a77dc1a5428ab1ea96.jpg

Y'all are not paying attention! Deb didn't and doesn't "collect" these things. They are things that she inherited and wants to get rid of. The unfortunate fact is that most of them were once worth a good deal of money but no longer are because people simply don't want them these days. Deb's attachment to them is that they were once her mother's. Occasionally she'll mention a particular item and recall that she remembered this or that thing from her childhood. As I see it, the problem is reconciling the fact that something that once had monetary value doesn't mean it still does and she's loathe to give away things that she perceives as having value. They do have value, but the value is sentimental, which is why I suggested that she take pictures of them (as a reminder of her mother and of her life growing up).

Even her mother (along with whichever other relatives) wasn't a hoarder. It was quite common in days gone by to have teacups, figurines, do-dads, objets d'art, as part of the décor, usually kept behind glass in china cabinets, on mantles, and on side tables, night stands, and dressing tables.

I guess the point I'm not getting across is that we all attach more monetary value to things that are ours (like our cars and our homes) than others do. It's very hard to be objective about our own possessions...one reason why an appraisal is necessary when, for instance, we put our homes on the market. It's "home" to us but merely a house to a third party.

Y'all are not paying attention! Deb didn't and doesn't "collect" these things. They are things that she inherited and wants to get rid of. The unfortunate fact is that most of them were once worth a good deal of money but no longer are because people simply don't want them these days. Deb's attachment to them is that they were once her mother's. Occasionally she'll mention a particular item and recall that she remembered this or that thing from her childhood. As I see it, the problem is reconciling the fact that something that once had monetary value doesn't mean it still does and she's loathe to give away things that she perceives as having value. They do have value, but the value is sentimental, which is why I suggested that she take pictures of them (as a reminder of her mother and of her life growing up).

Even her mother (along with whichever other relatives) wasn't a hoarder. It was quite common in days gone by to have teacups, figurines, do-dads, objets d'art, as part of the décor, usually kept behind glass in china cabinets, on mantles, and on side tables, night stands, and dressing tables.

I guess the point I'm not getting across is that we all attach more monetary value to things that are ours (like our cars and our homes) than others do. It's very hard to be objective about our own possessions...one reason why an appraisal is necessary when, for instance, we put our homes on the market. It's "home" to us but merely a house to a third party.
I'm not sure if your post was intended for me but I'm not talking about Deb or anyone else.

I'm talking about my own experience with learning how to deal with my possessions.

As far as monetary value is concerned stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and not a penny more.

If your stuff makes you happy then, by all means, hang on to it and enjoy it.

No, no, Aunt Bea! Posted for the benefit of anyone who has the notion that Deb is a hoarder. And I heartily agree that stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It's called "what a willing buyer pays and a willing seller accepts."

I guess I'm mostly trying to convince Deb that at this point she's not yet a willing seller! Or a willing giver-away-er. LOL

I am kind of going through that now, with Rick's stuff. It has been 6 months now, and I will have to say I have done well decluttering much of his stuff. There are a few items of some small value that I will try to sell, mainly have friends/family members interested in most.
A lot I have given away to friends, and have people at local Goodwill who now know me....LOL

I'm not sure if your post was intended for me but I'm not talking about Deb or anyone else.

I'm talking about my own experience with learning how to deal with my possessions.

As far as monetary value is concerned stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and not a penny more.

If your stuff makes you happy then, by all means, hang on to it and enjoy it.
Then why keep buying things or collecting things that you no not have an attachment with? I am keeping what I like and enjoy, the kids can do what they want when I am gone. They have already expressed what books they want and the collections they want so there will be no disagreements there between them. I am not buying anything else I have to dust. I don't know if Deb is a hoarder or not but I don't intend to die and leave my kids with a ton of things to deal with. She has no relatives so just give it away if you can. you cannot make money on things you think are valuable. Most of my books are gone. My beloved Christmas china is with daughter #2 that she loved. She enjoys setting a fine table at holidays and daughter #1 just as soon use paper plates so there is not much clean up. I am using my China and enjoying it everyday. Too long I kept it for special times and no more. I have suggested to them that they put my things on free cycle or Craig's List for free. Once it is out in the universe let it go. We have no control over it after that!

@terry123 I get you. I have no children, and neither did Rick. I have an adult niece who will be my executor when I die. But I plan to be as downsized as possible before she takes over. I have no plans to die any time soon, but she has indicated a few things she would like to have, which she will probably take possession of long before I go.
She and I are both avid readers, and she has already asked if she can come to look through my collection before I donate any out.

I've been downsizing the last few months as well. I use the Market Place on Facebook, and Craig's list. You have to have patience because about 70 % of the time the people don't show up.
A few weeks ago I sold all my canning supplies from years ago. I freeze most everything these days. I sold the jars for 25 cents each but I had a lot of them.
The lady who bought them is teaching her grand daughter how to can and was so happy to get them. Sometimes you meet people with very interesting stories as to why they want the item you are selling.
Makes selling the item enjoyable knowing it is going to be used again.

I've been downsizing the last few months as well. I use the Market Place on Facebook, and Craig's list. You have to have patience because about 70 % of the time the people don't show up.
A few weeks ago I sold all my canning supplies from years ago. I freeze most everything these days. I sold the jars for 25 cents each but I had a lot of them.
The lady who bought them is teaching her grand daughter how to can and was so happy to get them. Sometimes you meet people with very interesting stories as to why they want the item you are selling.
Makes selling the item enjoyable knowing it is going to be used again.
I gave away some new balance walking shoes that did not fit me right. I love the brand and have several pairs I wear but this pair did not fit me right. A lady got them for her daughter whose feet fit them exactly. She was so grateful as she had searched also for her daughter! Made me feel good that I helped her and it did not cost her a dime. I know how it is trying to find handicapped clothes and shoes that fit you.

I've got one more trunk load of my sister's things that will be going to Goodwill next week and then I can concentrate on completing the probate of her will. Then I'll start on mama's things I guess. Mama liked sewing and crafting and buying and storing everything related to sewing and crafting. She was bad at buying what I call 'stuff'. These things had meaning to her and a lot of the material she could tell you when and where she bought it and usually could remember what it cost per yard. Someone was talking on the forum about buttons. Mama has a large jar, a good 1.5 feet tall and maybe 12 inches round full of buttons that were cut off shirts, dresses, coats, etc., that are years old. If I needed to find a particular button to match it would be quicker to go to the store and buy a new set and replace all the buttons rather than go through that jar!

She has books, VHS tapes, even some reel-to-reel tapes that are over 60 years old. But all these things hold memories for her and she will go through them occasionally, touching them and reliving those memories. She can't watch the reel-to-reels but she remembers what is on each one. None of these things mean anything to me, monetarily or sentimentally, but to Mama they were priceless. It's hard to bring yourself to get rid of some else's memories when those things become your memories.

I’m sorry but I cannot disagree more with your post , especially this last paragraph. Yes everyone attaches more value and money to the things they own which is precisely how and why people become hoarders. Some people can also become obsessed with the money and the value of items where it becomes unhealthy and this is where it differs and becomes a mental disorder. Their lives become obsessed with ‘stuff’ and the monetary value of that stuff. These people have the same concerns and characteristics yet can’t see this about themselves. They don’t have the ability to view themselves objectively.

I’m VERY familiar with hoarders. My parents are hoarders. Everything they own has monetary value so parting with items is exceptionally difficult for them. These are people who add too much value to money and materialistic things. There entire lives become about saving money so much so that they actually start worshipping it. Everything in their life circles back to money. They are constantly calculating and figuring out how to save more each and everyday to add to their nest egg and this includes all the stuff they’ve collected over the years. If their parents were hoarders and have passed then they might even be hoarding their stuff in the same way they did. Unhealthy behaviour is often a ‘learned’ behaviour passed on by these same ‘relatives.

When your life revolves around money and collecting stuff, chances are you are a hoarder.
I’ve had friends who were hoarders and they have the same types of personalities and characteristics. If you try and discuss any of this with them, you are met with anger and resentment. In their minds they look at themselves as smart consumers. If you aren’t doing the same, then you are viewed as not as financially ‘savy’ as they are or just plain spoiled. Either way, your suggestions are met with hostility each & every time so YES there certainly IS a difference in the value system of true hoarders.

Trust me in this; It’s a mental disorder!!!😒

Back