Delaying Dementia

Thank you for posting these, @hollydolly I’d seen the first but not the other two. That change in the elderly persons face when they hear the music— it’s like a lightbulb went on inside them. Brings tears to my eyes
..and mine CS. I just hope that if I ever suffer the same fate that someone will remember just how much I love music and play it to me every day....

I read somewhere recently that coffee would delay
the onset of dementia, but I don't know who wrote
the article, it could have been a coffee company or
bar.

Mike.

Ran across this tidbit on Dementia and The Power of Ice Cream from the Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Tips & Tools: The link was posted on another forum and I've no idea as to its validity,

"Ice cream. It takes all of your worries away. It is soothing and delicious, and personable: everyone has a favorite flavor! Ice cream brings people with dementia to happier, warmer times when the treat was shared with friends and loved ones at special, joyous occasions. Ice cream has the power to immediately elicit soothing feelings at the very first taste of a single spoon-full. It erases all the negative feelings related to the frustration and continues to stimulate pleasure receptors in the brain with every new scoop. And dementia allows one to fully enjoy the treat, with no concerns for calories, weight gain or dietary needs, completely guilt free! For people with dementia, ice cream is far more effective and safe than Prozac, or any other “happy” drug on the market!"

I have personally noticed someone who, over time, significantly increased ice cream consumption with the onset of dementia. This person never ate ice cream before. Of course, one instance does not a statistic make.

Last edited:
I have a reasonably good diet, stay active, and watch very little TV. My biggest commitment to staving off Alzheimer’s is to continue learning new things. To that end I have dived head-first into technology and do my level best to increase my technical knowledge. On a daily basis I study and apply my knowledge to computer technology and programming/coding, and also continues mastery of devices such as smart phones, tablets, etc.

I am a self-taught coder, simple coding but still, I can create a custom spreadsheet for a client’s needs, build a simple website, construct any kind of Word document, manipulate photos and images etc. I was clueless about all of that 10 years ago, relying on my kids to set up all my devices and teaching me jist the fundamentals so that I could operate them by rote with no understanding of how they worked.

I dance. I learn new dance moves and patterns and hone my technique. I also have discovered tools and their various applications thanks to my husband! I no longer ask him if I believe I can do a repair, I dive in. Power tools are now my friend! 😂 Just last week I took the washing machine door apart to replace the latch mechanism that was broken and the door wouldn’t close. I’ve refurbished several pieces of furniture, and am continuing to become more and more physically involved in our house renovation as I learn more about the operation of the different power tools etc.

I am always on the lookout for more areas in which I can expand my knowledge base. It makes me feel powerful! 💪

Back