Delectable Batter for Fried Chicken!

MrPants

This recipe if not your standard fried chicken breading but a batter that will fry up to give you anon-greasy and rather puffy crisp coating. It keeps the chicken oh so tender and juicy inside too! I was surprised at just how good it was. I have used it on fish & shrimp as well as scallops too. Works really well - worth a try I think!

Batter for Fried Chicken
I normally use either a mix of drumsticks & bone in thighs but I’ve also used it to coat chicken wings – sooooo good!
Marinate chicken pieces overnight in the fridge soaking in 2 cups of buttermilk, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp kosher salt (+ a dash of hot sauce if you like). I have skipped this step and the result was still excellent. So if you don't have that extra time; don't worry.

Coating ingredients:
- 1/2 Cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder (not baking soda)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper (optional if you like just a hint of heat)
- 1 bottle (approx. 350 ml) of beer (can substitute water for the beer if you like. I prefer beer as the liquid.)

Cooking Instructions:
- Have your batter mixed and ready in a dish or bowl.
- dry chicken pieces of all marinade .
- lightly spice each piece with a sprinkle of kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper & garlic powder.
- Preheat oil in your deep fryer or fry pan to 350F. High heat oil is best.
- Once the oil is up to 350F, coat chicken pieces (or wings) in batter then submerge in fryer for 8 mins. (less for smaller wings – maybe 4-5 mins.)
- Remove to bowl or basket lined with paper towels to absorb any remaining grease.

These will be nice and crispy on the outside & super juicy inside – Sooooo Good! Eat as is or with your fav. Dipping sauce – YUM!

@MrPants , where are you situated now? I may have missed it but see that you are homeless! 😮😲 That chicken sounds delish.
It is Pam! Well worth a try next time you're in the mood for some fried chicken :love:

I'm currently in a place called St. Catharines, Ontario; Canada and staying with a previous work colleague who's living alone as his wife died recently and he's still in recovery mode so there was a good fit there - at least temporarily. I was initially on my way to Brazil but the Covid scene there is still a little 'hot' so just biding my time for now. Not to worry though. I'm not sleeping on the streets ;) I'm unemployed because I'm retired now and homeless cuz I don't own a place or even have a rental contract anywhere. Vagabond I suppose would be the correct term?

It is Pam! Well worth a try next time you're in the mood for some fried chicken :love:

I'm currently in a place called St. Catharines, Ontario; Canada and staying with a previous work colleague who's living alone as his wife died recently and he's still in recovery mode so there was a good fit there - at least temporarily. I was initially on my way to Brazil but the Covid scene there is still a little 'hot' so just biding my time for now. Not to worry though. I'm not sleeping on the streets ;) I'm unemployed because I'm retired now and homeless cuz I don't own a place or even have a rental contract anywhere. Vagabond I suppose would be the correct term?
I prefer "livin free" over vagabond

This recipe if not your standard fried chicken breading but a batter that will fry up to give you anon-greasy and rather puffy crisp coating. It keeps the chicken oh so tender and juicy inside too! I was surprised at just how good it was. I have used it on fish & shrimp as well as scallops too. Works really well - worth a try I think!

Batter for Fried Chicken
I normally use either a mix of drumsticks & bone in thighs but I’ve also used it to coat chicken wings – sooooo good!
Marinate chicken pieces overnight in the fridge soaking in 2 cups of buttermilk, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp kosher salt (+ a dash of hot sauce if you like). I have skipped this step and the result was still excellent. So if you don't have that extra time; don't worry.

Coating ingredients:
- 1/2 Cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder (not baking soda)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper (optional if you like just a hint of heat)
- 1 bottle (approx. 350 ml) of beer (can substitute water for the beer if you like. I prefer beer as the liquid.)

Cooking Instructions:
- Have your batter mixed and ready in a dish or bowl.
- dry chicken pieces of all marinade .
- lightly spice each piece with a sprinkle of kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper & garlic powder.
- Preheat oil in your deep fryer or fry pan to 350F. High heat oil is best.
- Once the oil is up to 350F, coat chicken pieces (or wings) in batter then submerge in fryer for 8 mins. (less for smaller wings – maybe 4-5 mins.)
- Remove to bowl or basket lined with paper towels to absorb any remaining grease.

These will be nice and crispy on the outside & super juicy inside – Sooooo Good! Eat as is or with your fav. Dipping sauce – YUM!
Thank you! Once I am able to, I am going to try this. I have always been unable to make good fried chicken.

Question: If it is cooked with beer, does it taste like beer. I am the only person I know IRL who doesn't like beer.

This looks really good so I’ll copy it for my DD and maybe she’ll make it when I’m there. My husband won’t eat chicken skin so I’d be wasting my efforts.

Thank you! Once I am able to, I am going to try this. I have always been unable to make good fried chicken.

Question: If it is cooked with beer, does it taste like beer. I am the only person I know IRL who doesn't like beer.
No! No beer taste what so ever(y) As I said, you can substitute water for the beer if you prefer. I think the carbonation in the beer adds something to the process but I can't be sure of that. If you don't like beer, then I would suggest getting a bottle of a light lager type beer such as Bud light or something similar. They have little taste to begin with. Don't use something like Guinness or any kind of stout beer.

This looks really good so I’ll copy it for my DD and maybe she’ll make it when I’m there. My husband won’t eat chicken skin so I’d be wasting my efforts.
I'm sure you could use it with a skinless chicken breasts too if you like. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I have used it for deep fried shrimp and scallops. You just need to start with uncooked items. The fry time is only a couple of minutes for seafood though (2-3 mins).

Heck; anything you can imagine that you can deep fry you could use this batter recipe for; pickles, fish fillets etc. You just have to adjust cooking time depending on what you are cooking. Google is your friend although, I have found google recipes often overstate cooking times.

No! No beer taste what so ever(y) As I said, you can substitute water for the beer if you prefer. I think the carbonation in the beer adds something to the process but I can't be sure of that. If you don't like beer, then I would suggest getting a bottle of a light lager type beer such as Bud light or something similar. They have little taste to begin with. Don't use something like Guinness or any kind of stout beer.
Thanks. I will try it with beer. Guinness or any stout, I'm quite familiar with. I don't like it, but I have tried it. I used to put 6 bottles of Guinness in my ex-husband's gigantic Christmas stocking every year. He loves the stuff.

I only like fried chicken with skin on it. Thighs, preferably. I haven't tried fried pickles yet, although they are on menus at restaurants around here. I think I'll try that, too. Fried mushrooms are good.

Allrecipes is a good site to go to for recipes. You have to read the reviews by "most helpful". There you will get tips you may agree makes the recipes better. Once in a great while, the recipes have typos which readers correct. Also, pay close attention to the star ratings. The one-star reviews for otherwise 4+ star recipes usually say I totally changed this recipe (with details) and my family hated it. Lots of people change the recipe in the "most helpful" reviews, but they always give a good reason. So I pick and choose from the (minor) changes and try the recipes that appeal to me. More gravy especially appeals to me.

Thanks. I will try it with beer. Guinness or any stout, I'm quite familiar with. I don't like it, but I have tried it. I used to put 6 bottles of Guinness in my ex-husband's gigantic Christmas stocking every year. He loves the stuff.

I only like fried chicken with skin on it. Thighs, preferably. I haven't tried fried pickles yet, although they are on menus at restaurants around here. I think I'll try that, too. Fried mushrooms are good.

Allrecipes is a good site to go to for recipes. You have to read the reviews by "most helpful". There you will get tips you may agree makes the recipes better. Once in a great while, the recipes have typos which readers correct. Also, pay close attention to the star ratings. The one-star reviews for otherwise 4+ star recipes usually say I totally changed this recipe (with details) and my family hated it. Lots of people change the recipe in the "most helpful" reviews, but they always give a good reason. So I pick and choose from the (minor) changes and try the recipes that appeal to me. More gravy especially appeals to me.
Yeah, not a fan of pickles so I have never tried that but this batter would work well for those I ecxpect. I like your suggestion of fried mushrooms :love: Those would be great! Not sure on the cook time at 350F but expect it would be only 2 or 3 mins. If you are doing only mushrooms, I would cut the measures in 1/2 for the batter mix unless you're doing a big pile of them, lol.

And for sure go with a lite beer like bud light or miller light. You would taste the Guinness I think.

Back