Describe a cherished memory in detail

It was the late 1950s. My dad bought a grill with a rotisserie/bun warmer. That was all the rage back then. My dad fired it up with charcoal. And then we waited. And waited. The charcoal never did seem to get really hot. Finally, my dad put hamburgers on the grill. We were all dying to eat. But they weren't cooking. Again we waited. And waited. It started to rain. So my dad opened the garage door and rolled the grill into the open door. Finally, my mom took the hamburgers off the grill , and cooked them in the kitchen. The rain had cleared. About an hour after eating, we were all sitting around, and we could smell some rubber burning odor. We looked for it. The grill was blazing hot. It was throwing off waves of heat, now. Unfortunately, my dad left the electric rotisserie motor in the bun warmer, which was now three degrees warmer than a blast furnace. I will always remember seeing my dad and brother hunched over a smoldering rotisserie motor. I'm not sure why this is so vivid in my memory.

Back