Did I misinterpret this email?

I wanted to go over some details of my estate with my executor, so I sent him an email as to when would be a good time for him and the times I could be available before 3 pm (when the bank closes) so he could match a time. He replied:

Ok. I will be in town Wednesday afternoon. Not sure if exact time. I will call you when I'm there.

Now I assumed he meant he was coming sometime Wednesday afternoon. I waited until 3 pm and no call, so I sent another email asking if he wanted to re-schedule. Fifteen minutes later he phoned saying he didn't realize we had an appointment.

Did we?

Maybe not exactly an appt. But I read it as he would check in to see if you were available to meet. He dropped the ball, it seems. May have been an honest mistake, and he forgot, but maybe call back and schedule a specific appointment day and exact time. Then call day before and confirm

I'm hoping this was just an honest mis communication between you&your executor,.If you have had problems with him in the past,I suggest you find somebody else who is more reliable
I'm saying this because you mentioned months ago the problems you had with your tax guy who never responded in a timely manner. I wouldn't want to see you going thru that again with something as important as your estate plans Sue

I've found a new tax prepaper. She filed and I received my refund in less than 2 weeks. I never did get an explanation from the other one why he waited so long to file - it was November last year and I had to threaten him to get him to do it. The new one charges much less, too.

About miscommunication, I just think men and women communicate on different levels. Women tend to read more into things.

Yes what you thought was right. Your executor promptly forgot about you right after he hung up the phone. He's a scatter-brain. Next time when the day arrives, call him in the morning to remind him you want to meet with him in the afternoon. Be direct.
Yep. When asking about plans with people I don’t except vague. Vague means the person doesn’t care enough to commit so is leaving it wide open purposely so that no real arrangements are made and you end up stood up. 😒

Whenever communicating arrangements, make definite arrangements with an exact time and place. Make people accountable for the plans or lack of plans they make so it’s not wasting your time. 😏

I read it as he was telling you he was going to be available but uncertain of time so it would be up to you to say if this would work for you. Had I written that and got no response, I would have assumed there was no appointment.

He did call after I sent an email asking if I had misunderstood his missive. Then clearly stated the day and time we could meet. Just back from that. Mission accomplished.

Like most people with something to accomplish, I don't like vagueness that can lead to misunderstanding.

You have no one in your life that you trust completely? No one you would entrust with keys to your house and your safety deposit box? No one you would put on a POA?

If not your executor, then who?

Back