Did You Accomplish Anything Today?

Boring story———

This morning, I had to go to the bank. Beside the bank is a Starbucks, so I will usually grab a cup to go. On the way home, I decided to drive down to the fruit farm we generally visit to buy some fresh sweet corn and peaches. It’s only about an 8 mile drive into the country. I saw this well groomed man on the side of the road with his car and the hood was up. I also noticed that he had an out of state license plate. We don‘t see this much anymore with cell phones now, people will usually just call someone they know.

I felt compelled to stop. You know how it is; old habits are hard to break. He said that his car just stopped and wouldn’t start again. I told him there was a garage a few miles down the road and I could drop him there. He agreed and got in my SUV. He noticed my badge on the dash (actually, it’s only a decal), and we spoke about it for a moment when he said how ironic this was. I told him that I didn’t understand. He said he was a cop from NYC and last night, he had enough and decided to just throw in the towel, went back to his apartment, packed a bag and headed south. He had no idea where he was going. I knew (or thought I did) that he was either suffering from a breakdown of some type or was having a PTSD moment.

It was then that I asked him if he called the hotline. (We (Cops) have a hotline we can call when life is closing in on us.) He said no. I pulled over at a restaurant I frequent now and then and we went inside. We sat there for just over an hour talking about most everything. When we were finished, he had decided to go back home and speak with a Counselor. I think talking helped him. He was really having difficulty dealing with all that’s going on in the city. I think talking to his Counselor will be a big help for him.

We never know what some people are going through.
@911 That was a great thing you ran into him and set him on a better path. I'm so glad to hear that police officers have a hotline they can call when things get rough on them--I have often wondered how they keep going dealing with so much trauma on a daily basis.

The heatwave has broken...Hurrah!!!! :pwell at least for now... we have a Massive lightening storm, and torrential rain...just started about 10 minutes ago...and apparently been doing this further west of the county all day ( floods reported in most places) , so we were fortunate we didn't get that earlier today while were out sawing wood to make shelves for the new office... ..lots of painting (ceiling and walls), sanding down, shelves being made and re-positioned,

Thankfully everything had been put back into the barns and sheds , including all the garden furniture cushions before the rain started.. ..another hour or so and it will be dark anyway
I bet your redone rooms are going to be just great! I wish I could paint my living room walls something other than this blah white that's on them now. Can't do it because the fumes would harm my birdies. They are sensitive to fumes.

I bought blue star creeper as a ground cover a while back. It was very expensive, paid full price, but it said it would grow in poor soil which is what I have. Put in over two hundred tiny plants in the ground covering two pathways in my front lawn.

Apparently it grows in any soil but mine. 🤦🏻‍♀️ 8 of the plants have died and so once again I am moving a horrific amount of little tiny plants to a different location. I have moved about half of them. Can only work in the cool of the morning with 95 plus weather by 9 o’clock.

Watering a side yard in anticipation of planting a different ground cover there. Laid down mulch. Getting close to finishing the front yard before winter. YAY. Back is hurting though, whine, whine.

I accomplished getting the oil changed on my car. They tried to sell me the real expensive oil package but I didn't fall for that. Yet, it wasn't the price I wanted to pay. Oil has gone up quite a bit, though, so I'm not really surprised. I also filled the gas tank up and the price was right! I need to do the towels laundry but don't know if I will today yet. I'm tired already and just feel like relaxing now.

I did my morning chores, got in a walk while it was still relatively cool, washed and folded the dark clothes and took my afternoon nap.
Right now I am sitting here with my cat in my lap contemplating the world. She is not any happier about the way things are going than I am. Neither of us has a plan yet, but we are working on it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Today I hooked up the brush hog to my tractor and mowed our walking trail through the woods....probably about 1/2 mile. The weeds were all waist high or more, but now we have a nice wide path again for a walk. One of the son-in-laws has a tree stand set up for his Fall bow hunting, and now he can get to it. Enroute, I found 6 big dead trees...2 of which are already on the ground, so when October arrives, I'll get the chainsaw out, and add them to my Winter firewood pile. At least we are having a few mild days...unusual for this time of year....so I'll get a bunch of mowing done this week.

My new office room is coming along nicely, although everything has had to be put on hold now until the weekend while hubs is at work this week. he's a perfectionist so there would have been no question of hurrying through it just to get it finished quickly.. The ceiling and walls are all done, the coving and the skirting boards are all on.. the lights have been re-affixed... so the major work is done.. . I would usually help but I put my back out a few days ago, and although I'm able to walk properly again, the back isn't up to doing any moving of heavy furniture yet!!

In other news, today I did manage to get one freezer emptied into another (just) ..because I'm expecting a deliver of a new larger Freezer this week and they'll remove the old one for me at the same time, so it had to be emptied and defrosted.

I also got 3 large Sacks filled with clothing to donate. ( 70 items I'm serious)... All in perfect condition, many of it unworn and still with price tags on, but now I'm retired I just don't wear the same amount of clothes that I used to, and we need the space ! I have to say I had to steal myself to give the new stuff away, but most of it is a size too small now anyway ....so I'll get that taken to the shops when my back feels strong enough to drive

Cooked sausages mash & baked beans for dinner for me... and a Vegan Spag Bol for hubs tonight when he got home from work... washed up, dried up... checked in on my daughter who had a massive bush fire on her mountain yesterday.. all out now thanks to the Air and land fireman , but very scary for a while because she could see the flames from her porch :eek:

Almost 9pm now and almost dark , so I'll just sit and read the forum, and upload some videos to my Youtube channel , and have a rest :D

Yep! Made my breakfast of: 2 fried eggs, one potato (fried), 4 strips of bacon, 1 toast and two cups of coffee. Loaded, ran and emptied dishwasher. Wash/dry pillow cases and towels. Changed bed sheets and put on pillow cases.

This evening, will make supper for us of: baked shrimp and crunchy fish fillet, oven French Fries, Bud Light and a shot of Jose' Cuervo.

Yep! Made my breakfast of: 2 fried eggs, one potato (fried), 4 strips of bacon, 1 toast and two cups of coffee. Loaded, ran and emptied dishwasher. Wash/dry pillow cases and towels. Changed bed sheets and put on pillow cases.

This evening, will make supper for us of: baked shrimp and crunchy fish fillet, oven French Fries, Bud Light and a shot of Jose' Cuervo.
Hey Cody nice to see you again.... hope all is well with you and Mrs C :D

Didn't accomplish much today; it was a blur of a day. Did some cleaning and rearranging cabinets. Slept this afternoon for about 2 hours. Now, I'm wide awake. Received a call from a cousin back home.

The biggest surprise was receiving a huge flower arrangement from another cousin in Austin, Texas. It was quite a surprise. ppaaaaam.jpg

Not done too much this morning, after getting quite a bit done yesterday.

Just dusted off all the cobwebs that gather every night on the trellis just outside my back door , but it means climbing onto a ladder to do it.. so I had to haul the big ladders out of the barn at the end of the garden to climb up to reach, and while I was up there I cleaned down the very top of the window kitchen frames , the part you can never see ordinarily.

Got all the recycling out ready for the bin collections.. and I dried out the inside of our old chest freezer after I defrosted it yesterday. ready for collection when our new one arrives ..

I watched a documentary on TV as to how Baked beans are made and then canned.. absolutely fascinating high tech stuff, I'm amazed that after all that goes into making them, that they cost so little to buy for the consumer.

Showery off and on, with thunderstorms due today , so no going out for a walk today

When we were about to get hit with the hurricane last week I brought in some of my decorative items that were outside and put them on the porch, garden flags, wreaths from the doors and a few other items that could have been destroyed.
Today I was going to put them back outside and decided not to. We aren't expecting company during the last part of the summer so I cleaned it all up and put it in our basement for next year.
I left a few things in the front but as far as I'm concerned summer is over, just waiting for pumpkin time and nice brisk weather to enjoy my fall yard work and hopefully a healthier fall for everyone

Hey Cody nice to see you again.... hope all is well with you and Mrs C :D

We are doing ok, Holly. Contending with this virus thing and now wildfire smoke smell from a wildfire northwest of us. Want to take our boat again, but can't with this smoke smell.
Funny, we moved back here to Colorado for things we did in the summer when we lived here before, but that sure hasn't happened!

Back