Did You Ever Not Plan A Trip But Took It Just To Get Away Spur Of The Moment?

fmdog44

Me and a buddy were just doing nothing living in the Chicago area when we were 20 then decided to load up his 1959 Chevy and drive to Hollywood Fl.
I took several trips on the spur of the moment to Minnesota by car and several to Milwaukee for a few nights of partying in my 20's
Now things being different I love to load up a small suit case and explore the small towns in Texas which I have not done in a year due to the virus. I never tak interstates, only backroads.

Yes! Did a spur of the moment trip when I was living in the Los Angeles area many years ago. Went by myself to the Grand Canyon and through southern Utah then back to LA across the desert of southeastern California. It was a really fabulous trip. No specific plan just a few must see stops. I specifically remember driving through the desert at sunrise and it was so beautiful! That's an image that has stayed with me for life. Really glad I made that trip :love:
Desert.jpg

Sometimes we’d have some points planned but the route there was never clear. I can’t think of anything worse than having AAA map my route and every hotel and every spot I’d stay.

I wrote a little diddy about how old Bus Lightyear came about.
Uh, that's more'n 'a little diddy', dawg.

'Bus Lightyear'
'Large Marge'
Love it

You stole that bus, considering condition

The machinist I used from time to time, gutted and re-built an old Greyhound
He did a really good job, with a quite nice master bed room
...aaaand a place for his little dune buggy in the baggage bay conversion
(don't ask me how)
Anyway, he got some kind of disease and had to stop touring
Sold it for a quarter million

Took an impromptu car trip from Toronto to Washington, DC (early 70's) with a g/f I worked with. Got stuck in a torrential downpour on the way, but made it. The weather was very hot, and some young men asked us if we were Quakers (we were dressed in black). They offered to show us around, but we politely declined. We were awed by the huge statue of Abraham Lincoln. Also shocked at the ghettos.

Another time, in the early 80's, I took a spur-of-the-moment trip out to Vancouver to stay with my brother and his partner, and her kids, for a week. They were both working, so I went walkabout every day, after dropping the youngest off at school in the mornings. I tend to like travelling and exploring on my own.

I used to hitchhike in the late '60's. Had many very surprising rides, some a little dangerous. (drunks mainly).

Then when I was 34 I decided to fly to California to see my parents all of a sudden. I was on a roofing job and the temp was in the 90's and I was recently married, but just did it. It was great, but when I got back I paid the price. I hadn't got a soveneir for my wife and she was really pissed, and the roofing crew almost told me to take a flying leap for abandoning them on such short notice during a very difficult job. Always some kind of Karma. I prefer to be a little impulsive rather than obsess about planning things. I guess it is best , like most things we do, is to do both.

Back