Did you ever think about running away from home?

Not quite a runaway, but a cute story. When my wife's sons would misbehave, she would threaten that she would run away to Tahiti if they did not behave.
Many years later, she got her opportunity to go to Tahiti. She applied for a passport, and they needed the address of next of kin. She had to call her son to ask for his address. He asked why she needed it, and she said she nedded it to get her passport.
He said, "Mom, why do you need a passport?". She said," Because I am running away to Tahiti " and hung up.

Yes I ran away several times when I was little, and once alone with my brother who is a year younger than me.. we were caught and taken back..

When I was 15 my father locked me out of the house all night when there was snow on the ground and was only wearing a thin sleeveless dress. I sat on the snowy dooorstep all night convinced I was going to die from the cold .. even my mother wouldn't allow me in. This was my punishment for being 5 minutes late home.(My brother looked out of the upstairs window and called to me he wanted to throw a blanket out to me but had been threatened by my father if he did..
A couple of days later I got on a train with the very little money I had.. my friend who was also going through troubles at home came with me., we didn't know where we would end up, or what would happen to use but we had to go.. and we did.

Long story short, we ended up in the Salvation army hostel for women in Dundee Scotland ..without them I have no idea where my life would have ultimately ended up
I have often thought that parents who do this kind of stuff to their children should be charged with child abuse.
Because that is exactly what it is.
It is called tough love, no, it is child abuse.
We who went through it should have the right to charge them. Even if it is years later.
This kind of stuff is the reason I never sought out my Mother after she left. I detested her for her actions against me and my siblings.
I have never seen or spoken to her for over 52 years and I do not know if she is still alive.

I have often thought that parents who do this kind of stuff to their children should be charged with child abuse.
Because that is exactly what it is.
It is called tough love, no, it is child abuse.
We who went through it should have the right to charge them. Even if it is years later.
This kind of stuff is the reason I never sought out my Mother after she left. I detested her for her actions against me and my siblings.
I have never seen or spoken to her for over 52 years and I do not know if she is still alive.
I totally understand that.
When I told my ex husband that I didn't care nor want to know if my father was alive or dead ( after years of physical and mental abuse) and in fact if I heard he was dead I'd be relieved .. he said quote '' you don't mean that , after all he is your father''...

sadly, people who haven't been seriously abused just don't understand

Last edited:
When I told my ex husband that I didn't care nor want to know if my father was alive or dead ( after years of physical and mental abuse) and in fact if I herd he was dead I'd be relieved .. he said quote '' you don't mean that , after all he is your father''...

sadly, people who have been seriously abused just don't understand
They do not understand that there can be no love directed towards those who seriously hurt their children. None at all.

I ran away from home when I was 16. My boyfriend (my son's biological father) borrowed a car and stole it. We went to St. Simon's Island in GA where his father lived. I was pregnant and was afraid to tell my parents. That was in 1969.

Before I moved here in 2018, for about ten years, I dreamed of running away from home. In the end I didn't have to run away but left.

I ran away when I was 16 or 17. I took my pillow and a book and whatever money I'd saved from working, and left my mom a note under the vodka bottle in the freezer. I figured she'd need a drink, but she didn't find it.

A friend of mine took me to a house where some friends of his lived, and they welcomed guests. They turned out to be hippies - heroin addicts who stole fur coats to support themselves. One of them shot up right in front of me! Two others came home from a "shopping spree" with two full length, very expensive mink coats. The drugs, the stealing, the stories they told me about their lifestyle, all scared me to death.

Luckily my mother was a super detective. She figured out who I was with, even though she had never met him, and I doubt she knew his last name. She went to house and talked to his parents, and the boy told her where I was. She called the police, and they, she, and the boy's father went to the house. The police got me to come out by telling me my father was there. It was the boy's dad, and I was very mad about that. I hated living with my mother, and I was shocked when my parents got divorced and he wouldn't let me live with him. My mother told me about a decade ago that he said no because she told him she would take us away and he'd never see her again. At that point, my dad didn't know my mother was a bully, I guess. When I realized it, much later, I wasn't afraid of her any more. Mostly talk, little action except from her words.

The problem was that I'd been suspended from school for spending 3 days flying kites and climbing a mountain. It was my idea, which made me the ringleader. We were supposed to be at the legislature listening to arguments about the Equal Rights Amendment. That got boring since most legislators were not interested in women having equal rights.

I figured I would be in a lot of trouble, so I left before she kicked me out or killed me. My mother the detective located me before I had to spend the night. I was more afraid of her than I was of the hippies. And I was really afraid of the hippies. In the end, nothing bad happened, except that I had to talk to my dad about it, which was fine with me, more than fine.

I was living on my own when I was 18, but never thought about running away from "home" before that time. I knew I was too immature and lacked confidence, so even though home was hell, I never considered leaving without a means to support myself. I did stay away quite a bit, though. I'd often eat dinner at a friend's house and spend a lot of time there. They didn't seem to mind.

Do you mean when I was a kid or since I've been grown?

I ran away once on the day after Christmas. We'd just come back stateside after the war and were living with my maternal grandparents. I don't remember why I was running away, just that I did. Took my new doll buggy and new dolly and wheeled them through the sNOw to my paternal grandparents' home, just a few blocks away.

It was time for lunch, and my grandfather always had lunch at home, so after Grandma called and let my mother know where I was and had fed us, Grandpa drove me back from whence I came! By then I'd had some exercise, had eaten, and just wanted a nap.

Since I've been grown? Oh, yeah! Especially when my kids were teens.

Since they've been grown? Nope.

Since DH died and I moved here? Often. Except it wouldn't be called running away from home, it would be running to home. However, my self knows that it's just not a great idea. I'm not about to live in a brutal climate where winter usually starts in mid-October and lasts until May, where the annual sNOwfall is between 150-200", where it's not unusual for the winter temps to dip below -30F, where nearly all of my old friends have already died.

So I stay. Besides, I don't have a doll buggy so what would I use to take my belongings along?
I'm thinking that you probably have some kind of garden cart...you could use that. Load it up, run away, come stay with 🐐 and me! Today is cold (25° now, 46° for a high), but by Fri we will be near 80° again.

When I told my ex husband that I didn't care nor want to know if my father was alive or dead ( after years of physical and mental abuse) and in fact if I heard he was dead I'd be relieved .. he said quote '' you don't mean that , after all he is your father''...

sadly, people who haven't been seriously abused just don't understand
No....they don't. Sending you hugs! 💕

Back