Did you know????

Did you know that North America's 200 million starlings have Shakespeare to thank for their existence?
William Shakespeare's works contain more than 600 references to various types of birds, from swans and doves to sparrows and turkeys. The starling, a lustrous songbird with a gift for mimicry, native to Europe and Western Asia, makes just one appearance, in Henry IV, Part 1. In 1890 an American aficionado of Shakespeare, one: Eugene Schiffelin, decided to import every kind of bird mentioned in Shakespeare but absent in the US. As part of this project, he released two flocks of 60 starlings in New York's Central Park. 120 years later, the highly adaptable species has taken over the skies, becoming invasive and driving some native birds to the brink of extinction.

Did you know11% of people are left handed?

I am one of them, though I do many things right-handed because I am rather ambidextrous and the world seems right-handed.

These days, the "right" seems to be "wrong" and the "left" seems to be "right" according to popular opinion, but what do I know? I have never been a part of "popular opinion" other than being a Beatles fan when I was a kid.

What a wacky world we live in.

Tony

I am a southpaw as well, but not a Beatles fan.
Funny thing about the Beatles. The first time I heard them, I was 10 in 1963. Though I didn't go crazy like the girls seemed to back then, I listened to them any time I could. But when they got into their drug-addled years, I lost interest or maybe had started growing up. :) Anyway, I don't enjoy listening to them anymore, but do like to arrange some of their more melodic tunes for solo instrumental fingerstyle guitar.

Paul McCartney was raised on the standards (the Great American Songbook) and that flavored the songs he wrote. As a result, a number of his tunes work well instrumentally on the guitar. By the way, I play guitar right handed because I am self-taught and that is how I saw everybody else (except Paul McCartney on bass) played it. I am glad I did learn that way because anything guitar-related for left handers is rare and expensive.

Tony

I simply did not like their sound. Plain as that. Paul and John wrote some good songs as did George.
Another thing...

I find it interesting that while I no longer enjoy listening to the Beatles, I do like what other people have done with their music. Orchestras, some jazz renditions, and of course solo acoustic and classical guitar renditions. :)

Few other tunes from that era make their way into such varied environments, and among the Beatles catalog, it is Paul McCartney's tunes that seem to work the best.

Tony

You, know Tony, I was born in the 30's, so the smooth sounds of classical, swing and the big band era were what I was accustomed to. The Beatles sounded so tinny to my ears. I never figured out how anyone could abide that sound. I love good music. I want to hear instrumentation that is full bodied.

Another thing...

I find it interesting that while I no longer enjoy listening to the Beatles, I do like what other people have done with their music. Orchestras, some jazz renditions, and of course solo acoustic and classical guitar renditions. :)

Few other tunes from that era make their way into such varied environments, and among the Beatles catalog, it is Paul McCartney's tunes that seem to work the best.

Tony
Oh, I quite agree. Which is what I meant by those boys having had written some good music.

By the way, I play guitar right handed because I am self-taught and that is how I saw everybody else (except Paul McCartney on bass) played it. I am glad I did learn that way because anything guitar-related for left handers is rare and expensive.

Tony
Same here. Actually it just feels natural now after all this time. I also play the drums right-handed but being left dominate I rock a mean boogie woogie bass on the piano. :cool:

You, know Tony, I was born in the 30's, so the smooth sounds of classical, swing and the big band era were what I was accustomed to. The Beatles sounded so tinny to my ears. I never figured out how anyone could abide that sound. I love good music. I want to hear instrumentation that is full bodied.
Funny you should say that, Lewkat. All I knew at the time is what I had grown up with, which is what I heard on the radio. What I heard is what all the other kids were listening to. The music you listed was something the "old guys" listened to. :)

When I started working as a musician, we played places that wanted to hear music from the era you grew up in because we played resorts and the better supper clubs rather than bars and rock clubs. After a while, I realized that my generation was musically cheated. The "good stuff" came before my time, but fortunately due to recordings, is still very much available.

Tony

Same here. Actually it just feels natural now after all this time. I also play the drums right-handed but being left dominate I rock a mean boogie woogie bass on the piano. :cool:
Boogie woogie is good stuff, though I couldn't take a steady diet of it. Albert Ammons and Pete Johnson are the main recordings I listen to from time to time.

Tony

Oh, I quite agree. Which is what I meant by those boys having had written some good music.
Yes, I understood that and do agree. A lot of rock (but not all), when you take it out of its originally recorded context falls apart. I saw Benjamin Verdery in concert once and he played some Hendrix on classical guitar. It really didn't work without all that distortion and feedback. It is interesting that I never hear the Rolling Stones in the contexts that the Beatles music is treated with. It just wouldn't work.

To me, a good indication of a well written tune is when you can approach it from a number of different styles and it holds up well. A solid melody and decent harmony allow for that.

There is a joke that says the difference between a jazz guitarist and a rock guitarist is that the jazz guitarist plays 10,000 chords for three people while a rock guitarist plays three chords for 10,000 people. I prefer the former.

Tony

You seem to be quite the well-rounded musician. :cool:

Tony

Back