Discontinued...sorry

Dana

Hans Christian Andersen said: “Where words fail, music speaks.”

Just as my body needs food to survive … my spirit needs music to soar. Although I love almost all genres of music, nothing stirs my soul more than the creative genius of the classical composers, both past and present. I grew up in a musical family and can’t remember a time when music did not play a significant role in our lives.

In this thread, I’ll present some of the pieces that inspire me, uplift me spiritually and stimulate my senses. So.. if you enjoy the classics..if you love opera as I do, sink into your favourite armchair, relax, close your eyes and let the magic permeate your being .. comment if the mood takes you, but please, no pictures, thank you my friends ❣️

One of my favourite choral compositions is a piece called Gaelic Blessings created by English composer John Rutter in 1978. Whenever, I feel slightly troubled, this piece of music has the power to reach the very depths of my psyche. Here it is sung by the talented Welsh mezzo-soprano Katherine Jenkins.

Katherine performs in the ruins of Rievaulx Abbey. The Abbey was founded in 1132 and was the first Cistercian Abbey to be established in the north of England. It quickly became one of the most powerful and spiritually renowned centres of monasticism in Britain, housing a 650-strong community at its peak in the 1160s under its most famous abbot, Aelred.

Rievaulx Abbey was shut down on 3 December 1738, as part of the Suppression of the Monasteries that took place under Henry VIII in 1536-40, but the spectacular abbey ruins became a popular subject for Romantic artists in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Posting my Mother's favourite piece of music yesterday made me feel so sad, that I have decided to discontinue this thread. I guess public diaries are not for me.

Since I have no idea how to discontinue a thread on this forum, I will leave it up to Admin.

You are a sweet and caring person Phoenix. It was not a recent event and I thank you for your kind words 💐
Thank you. I remember when my 85-year-old grand aunt whose mother had been gone for probably 30 years said, "What is life without your mother?" Aunt Lottie was one of the wisest most well-adjusted people I've ever known. Her mother was my great grandmother, a woman who was a midwife and went on horseback to deliver babies, back when. When I asked Aunt Lottie how she dealt with all her losses, she said, "Mostly I'm fine with it. But sometimes they gang up on me." I understand her statement more and more as I lose more and more people who are dear to me.

Thank you. I remember when my 85-year-old grand aunt whose mother had been gone for probably 30 years said, "What is life without your mother?" Aunt Lottie was one of the wisest most well-adjusted people I've ever known. Her mother was my great grandmother, a woman who was a midwife and went on horseback to deliver babies, back when. When I asked Aunt Lottie how she dealt with all her losses, she said, "Mostly I'm fine with it. But sometimes they gang up on me." I understand her statement more and more as I lose more and more people who are dear to me.

Thank you for sharing your story Phoenix. Yes, I relate to your Aunt Lottie, memories do suddenly "gang up"on one, even happy ones 🦋🦋

Life is sometime hard to understand. I often turn to music when circumstance is
not to my liking or I ponder lose. I hope you come to a place where things are better.

Life is sometime hard to understand. I often turn to music when circumstance is
not to my liking or I ponder lose. I hope you come to a place where things are better.

Thank you for your concern drifter. If you read the thread,, you will understand why I discontinued it. My Mother's birthday fell within that week and I missed her terribly. I will always miss her and my Father...thank you for your kind thoughts ❣️

Back