DIY jobs, do you handle them yourself?

My husband does most of everything....He has been for 54 years....knocking down walls, making furniture, takes care of the lawn, plowing the snow, mostly fixing anything in our home and property if it requires....We did get a service for the summer, we have stones in our backyard near the Pool....The service is great....They get rid of the weeds and grass....(That's the only service we use) Except for our Air conditioner twice a year..
It's in the attic.....
My husband is getting older to do much but he does go out to the garage and made Shutters for the windows....I love them...
I don't have to put curtains up in the Living areas and our bedroom...He will tackle anything he can do, unless the roof falls in.....

We're sawing up a couple big downed trees and burning them. Talked about getting a tree guy in, but hey, we can do it...told hub "just don't want another chimney tree"...lol. He's a fire commissioner. We had a couple issues with chimney trees.

We both love to work around the property, "usually".

We're in the process today of installing a new cooker chimney hood... , it's all in pieces waiting to get installed, and hubs who is supposed to be on Christmas hols first in years, has been called into work today and tomorrow.. so goodness knows when this thing will be installed.

We're in the process today of installing a new cooker chimney hood... , it's all in pieces waiting to get installed, and hubs who is supposed to be on Christmas hols first in years, has been called into work today and tomorrow.. so goodness knows when this thing will be installed.
Just keep jumping over the pieces and pretend its all done 'n pretty, gal. Visualize, you know.

I handle most of these myself, for the house and for the vehicles. Anything big, like having windows replaced or roof replaced, I call in the pros. I like to give most things a try and if it becomes too much I call in the contractor.

Yesterday was a snowy "stay indoors" day, so I tackled another household project. Our kitchen sink has been draining slowly, so I started looking for a clog, etc. Everything seemed ok and I didn't find anything in the pipes with my assortment of drain openers, etc. Finally, I looked up the symptoms on UTube, and found reference to something called an "air admittance valve". Bingo! It seems that in recent years, most houses are built without roof vents for the plumbing, and instead, these Valves are being used. After checking all of our bathrooms, etc., we have these valves. The one under the kitchen sink was loose, and after tightening it up, the drain works great. I did some online shopping and found all sorts of these valves at Lowe's, Menard's, etc., and next time we go to town I think I'll buy one to keep on hand. The part is only $7, and is sure a lot cheaper than calling in a plumber.

Things that are exclusive to my apartment I do usually with the help of my son. I've replaced doorknobs, painted (need to do it again) and had him install blinds for me. Right now I need him to change a lightbulb for me in my walk in and storage closets. I'm short and he's tall.

Apartment living is just great ...nothing to do, but pick up the phone and call the maintenance office. ... and if needed, cell phone # for after hours and weekends. They are wonderful here.

I do some yard work. I got a nice "EGO" string trimmer & got rid of the weeds in my back yard - 1/2 acre. It took 3 days with one day of recovery after each day. I also do the hedge trimming. But nothing mechanical or electrical & NO plumbing. Mistakes are costly & dangerous.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Not that I can do a lot of these things, but it's good to be at least somewhat self-reliant.

I do all the repair and renovation on all the properties as well as the vehicles. My properties are historic so I do a great deal of wood working, electrical, plumbing and roofing. Currently welding wrought iron fencing for a 1850 Gothic Revival, tomorrow I need to start putting in a new garage door. A/C work is the only thing I don't do, IF I had the certs to get the material I would do that as well. Its tough to hire anyone to do anything.wrought iron.JPG

Last edited:
I 'laid Mexican saltillo pavers throughout all of my gallery and patio. I' ve installed lights, garbage disposals, toilets, cast iron sinks, put up sheetrock, finished it out, painting, staining, a lot of wood finishing and tile installation. tongue an groove ceiling, a HUGE concrete floor which I colored and made to look like huge pavers. woodworking, woodcarving, made lamps. Really don't care for gardening though!

and Needsshave? Your work is awesome!

I 'laid Mexican saltillo pavers throughout all of my gallery and patio. I' ve installed lights, garbage disposals, toilets, cast iron sinks, put up sheetrock, finished it out, painting, staining, a lot of wood finishing and tile installation. tongue an groove ceiling, a HUGE concrete floor which I colored and made to look like huge pavers. woodworking, woodcarving, made lamps. Really don't care for gardening though!

and Needsshave? Your work is awesome!
Gaer,
Thank you so much, you're very kind. I got a lot done today, Hopefully there is a picture belowIMG_6047.jpgIMG_6053.jpg
Thanks so much for your kind words.

Back