Do any of the ladies here cut their own hair?

I do. It saves money and since I am not going to be in any beauty contests it doesn't matter to me, I don't have to look at it. When I first started doing it, I made a few blunders and ended up looking like Cyndi Lauper (you know back when she cut it short on one side and left it long on the other). However, I have naturally wavy hair that help to hide miscalculations. Also, it grows out quick enough.

I know I answered this previously but I did cut my hair again when not having a drink and it turned out so well I was complimented on it by 2 people. I don't like going to the stylist either. The last time I went she burned my head 3 times with the blow dryer too close to my head, had to push it away.

I cut my own fringe and have on the odd occasion followed a youtube video to cut an inch off the length to tidy it up as well... but aside from my fringe I prefer going to the hairdressers to get anything done to the length because I get layers cut into my hair which I can't do myself.

yes....i do the whole shebang. ...with a hand mirror to see the reflection of the back in bathroom mirror. ..whew....

Something I do to cut the hair on the back of my head, along with mirrors all around, is get out some of those old-fashioned velco rollers in different sizes. Then figure out what I want the end result to be and start rolling the hair in different size rollers for that affect. ..largest ones at the top of the head.
Then unroll each roller, one at a time, and cut the hair in that roller 1" or whatever amount .. then move to the next one.
It works for me and I'm satisfied with the layering look I get.
Then shake it all out and put some mousse on...:D

I cut my bangs, and trim around my ears. I can cut the back but it takes a long time get it all even, and even then it's not quite. I wish I knew how to layer my hair but I can't get that right either.

I wear lipstick when I dress up, sometimes eye shadow and a little blush if I'm in the mood to.

There is a way to layer your hair. Gather it all on top of your head, secure it with an elastic band, then cut it as long or short as you wish.

No I use a coupon and go to Supercuts once a month or 5 weeks. When I worked I went to a salon for a cut and color. Supercuts here have great stylists and 2 locations close to me. If I could cut my own, I would but I only have one hand so it would be hard to do now.

I cut my own hair. It's naturally wavy and I sure am not going to be in any beauty contests, so why pay all that money for something that's going to grow out in a month or two. The front and sides are easy - I can see what I'm doing. It's the back that is more difficult, I have to feel and snip, but then I can't see the back anyway. Here a photo of me at the local senior's Christmas party after a shearing.

Dec 2018a.jpg

I cut my own hair for decades, to save money. It was easier to cut when I wore it long and straight. Back then, we had a main mirror with 2 opening mirrors at the sides - and a mirror on the wall behind, so it wasn't difficult when I started wearing my hair short and layered.

Of course, the salon does a much better job .. and now I get low-lights which is too much trouble to do myself.

No I use a coupon and go to Supercuts once a month or 5 weeks. When I worked I went to a salon for a cut and color. Supercuts here have great stylists and 2 locations close to me. If I could cut my own, I would but I only have one hand so it would be hard to do now.
Hey Terry. I haven’t seen you since the 4th of July.
You are missed here. I hope everything is ok.

Last edited:
The salon that my sister and I used went out of business because of the pandemic, and there are still so many restrictions at other places. So we bought clippers and barber scissors and started experimenting with trimming our own hair, We both wear our hair very short, so it isn't that hard. I used to enjoy relaxing at the salon, but the world is changing. At least we get a lot of laughs out of the process.

Since the lock down in my state of NJ began, I had no choice. I really messed it up the first time I tried and that was just trimming. But I bought a hairdresser's set and went to town Not bad. Just a tad shorter than I usually have it, but at least it is neat and symmetrical.

If I were to cut my own hair, I'd end up like this poor pup. Someone I know in Facebook posted these photos of her pup (before and after). I can't stop laughing at the owner's shock when she saw the finished look. Looks like a totally different pup.

Sorry for getting off track. Just had to share.118600420_3310738042318167_6512831115411937627_n[1].jpg

Last edited:

Back