Do deep discussions interest you?

bobcat

If you could have a deep discussion for hours with any person you choose, what would you want to talk about?

Science. Probably with Sabine Hossenfelder. Her field is physics, so most of it would go over my head, but she's super-cute so the 4 hours would fly by. And she could explain exactly how time does that.

If you could have a deep discussion for hours with any person you choose, what would you want to talk about?
Right now, there are only two people that I'd want to have several hours of long, deep discussions with. It would entail finding out what their fundamental beliefs are, because to me, that's the bedrock thinking that determines who they are. Finding that out is most important when getting to know someone and deciding whether you want to pursue getting to know them better. It's also important to find out if they like chocolate. 😊

Right now, there are only two people that I'd want to have several hours of long, deep discussions with. It would entail finding out what their fundamental beliefs are, because to me, that's the bedrock thinking that determines who they are. Finding that out is most important when getting to know someone and deciding whether you want to pursue getting to know them better. It's also important to find out if they like chocolate. 😊
Ahh, well, the chocolate thing is of vital importance, as one would be left wondering, if someone doesn't have a passion for the nectar of the gods, then what other passions might be lacking. Although, that does bring up an intriguing topic of said discussion. Apparently, a small study was done that showed women who consume more chocolate often had a decreased libido, but oddly enough, the relationship didn't show up in men. If there is any truth to that study, it would call into question the wisdom in the time-honored tradition of men buying chocolates for their girlfriends on Valentine's Day (If you get my drift).

As for getting to know someone and discovering their fundamental beliefs, no doubt it is important, but I would also want to know if they have an open mind that's willing to modify those beliefs if they don't line up with reality. Having a closed mind is like mental constipation (pardon that graphic image). It is my philosophy that an unexamined belief is not worth retaining.

That being said, I do have the upmost respect for beliefs that others hold, but it doesn't work well for two people to be in the same boat if they are rowing in different directions. So yes, long revealing discussions would certainly help find out if you're dealing with a Rolex, a Timex, or a cuckoo clock.

Last edited:
Also puppies and kittens! ;)

I always wanted to visit the Pyramids. On TV, an Egyptologist said the Pyramids weren't the real story, but it was the logistics of building them. When you think how far back in history the Pyramids were, and what it took to build a 45 story tomb, it amazing. They had such a civilization that everybody, today, can identify artifacts as having to be Egyptian. To me, that's fascinating.tut.jpg

Last edited:
There are probably less than a handful of people who I would want to have an in depth discussion with about anything because, so many people just can't accept ideas and opinions which do not align with their own and, although I hope not, there is a possbility that I might be one of them!!! o_O

Some discussions at SF can get deep once in a while and you get different points of view, but for a discussion with some expert on a subject, I would probably just listen more than discuss since they would know much more than I. Two people with similar levels of knowledge would have an actual discussion.

I also enjoy discussions about recent history. Sometimes when we live that history, there are various things we miss. So, it is interesting to revisit the situation again and have another look at it all.

Ahh, well, the chocolate thing is of vital importance, as one would be left wondering, if someone doesn't have a passion for the nectar of the gods, then what other passions might be lacking. Although, that does bring up an intriguing topic of said discussion. Apparently, a small study was done that showed women who consume more chocolate often had a decreased libido, but oddly enough, the relationship didn't show up in men. If there is any truth to that study, it would call into question the wisdom in the time-honored tradition of men buying chocolates for their girlfriends on Valentine's Day (If you get my drift).
I read about that study. Here's the article. Chocolate’s Effects on Women's Interest in Sex

I think the part quoted below is particularly important for a man to read if he's even thinking about trying to separate his woman from chocolate. Just a note of caution. 😲

"The first thing to realize (otherwise, nothing that follows will make sense) is that chocolate is like a drug. Chocolate is an ancient food, whose name is derived from the Nahuatl word cacahuatl. The Mayo-Chinchipe people cultivated cacao 5,300 years ago in Central America. For some religions, cocoa was considered to be of divine origin and gifted by the gods.

In 1648, according to the diary of English Jesuit Thomas Gage, the women of Chiapas Real arranged for the murder of a certain bishop who forbade them to drink chocolate during mass. In an ironic twist, the pontiff was ultimately found murdered after someone had added poison to his daily cup of chocolate. Second point: Women love chocolate."
As for getting to know someone and discovering their fundamental beliefs, no doubt it is important, but I would also want to know if they have an open mind that's willing to modify those beliefs if they don't line up with reality. Having a closed mind is like mental constipation (pardon that graphic image). It is my philosophy that an unexamined belief is not worth retaining.
Someone's fundamental beliefs directly affect how they deal with others and function in the world. That doesn't mean that they're not open-minded, are unwilling to understand, or can't or won't compromise with someone else whose beliefs differ from their own.
That being said, I do have the upmost respect for beliefs that others hold, but it doesn't work well for two people to be in the same boat if they are rowing in different directions. So yes, long revealing discussions would certainly help find out if you're dealing with a Rolex, a Timex, or a cuckoo clock.
Having differing beliefs doesn't mean you can't respect someone regardless of their beliefs or even get along. It depends on just how different those beliefs are. It becomes much more problematic if you're in conflict with each other over a particular matter. If you're rowing in completely different directions, you won't get anywhere. Try as you might, sometimes you just have to abandon ship and paddle your own boat. I agree that long, revealing conversations certainly help, but whether it's a Rolex, a Timex, or a cuckoo clock, it doesn't matter how much you wind it if the battery is dead.

Gee, are we having a deep discussion? 😊😉

Ahh, well, the chocolate thing is of vital importance, as one would be left wondering, if someone doesn't have a passion for the nectar of the gods, then what other passions might be lacking.

As I've stated elsewhere, drinking alcohol was part of doing business, and over the years I've had my fair share of it. Probably more than my fair share. Once I stopped working, I had no need for the alcohol, so I stopped. Still, it was at the very time that chocolate truly came to be a "thing" for me. So I got rid of one thing, and grabbed another. :D

Back