Do you agree that Wolf Whistling should be made a criminal offence ?

hollydolly

SF VIP
Wolf whistling or cat calling at passing beauties has been something that's always been around since most of us have been alive..

Most of us women have experienced it in our lives, and even some men..

In the UK it's about to be banned and classified as a criminal offence with sentences of up to 2 years in prison

A poll in the UK has 78 % disagreeing with the proposition to have it made illegal..

Do you agree , or disagree ?.. and why ?

Back in the 80s I had lost a lot of weight as I had been fairly large. At the moment I heard a wolf whistle I smiled and thought cool, I look nice to someone. No I don't think it should be banned because it's not such a big deal or bad thing. It may upset some but not me. Geez, before you know it they will be banning saying "how are you?" LOL

Last edited:
Any articles I found in the internet are from as far back as May 2022 and they all say it's unlikely to pass. It's more political smoke and mirrors to make it appear that politicians are doing their job. They make a case for something nobody wants passed and then one of them pretends to be the one who keeps things in perspective. (Most of what politicians do in the United States is like this).

I don't know if I consider it criminal behavior but imagine plenty would label it harassment.

I will say it's not something I have ever done. My goal with women was to pick them up, not insult them. I had friends that would whistle or shout crude things and I would always ask "how's that approach working?". In all my life I don't ever remember a woman responding to a wolf whistle by running over and taking her clothes off.

I don't know if I consider it criminal behavior but imagine plenty would label it harassment.

I will say it's not something I have ever done. My goal with women was to pick them up, not insult them. I had friends that would whistle or shout crude things and I would always ask "how's that approach working?". In all my life I don't ever remember a woman responding to a wolf whistle by running over and taking her clothes off.
The whistle part wouldn't bother me but obscenities would.

Any articles I found in the internet are from as far back as May 2022 and they all say it's unlikely to pass. It's more political smoke and mirrors to make it appear that politicians are doing their job. They make a case for something nobody wants passed and then one of them pretends to be the one who keeps things in perspective. (Most of what politicians do in the United States is like this).
Nope it's going ahead....

The Home Secretary announced at the end of last year that she would be introducing harassing people in the street as an offence - with sentences of up to two years in prison.
Suella Braverman unveiled the move as she insisted perpetrators who stop women feeling 'safe' will face the 'consequences they deserve'.
The change is expected to come into force later this year year, after a consultation that found overwhelming support.
It will cover behaviour or 'gestures' that deliberately harass, alarm, or distresses someone a public space on the basis of their sex.
This will include catcalling and stalking, however Home Office minister Sarah Dines clarified that behaviour such as 'low-level' wolf-whistling would not necessarily meet the threshold for the new offence.

Ok
Nope it's going ahead....

The Home Secretary announced at the end of last year that she would be introducing harassing people in the street as an offence - with sentences of up to two years in prison.
Suella Braverman unveiled the move as she insisted perpetrators who stop women feeling 'safe' will face the 'consequences they deserve'.
The change is expected to come into force later this year year, after a consultation that found overwhelming support.
It will cover behaviour or 'gestures' that deliberately harass, alarm, or distresses someone a public space on the basis of their sex.
This will include catcalling and stalking, however Home Office minister Sarah Dines clarified that behaviour such as 'low-level' wolf-whistling would not necessarily meet the threshold for the new offence.
Okay. this makes sense. They're not making cat calling and wolf whistling an offense unless someone takes exception to it.

Never as civilian adult been an issue in regions I've lived in, at places I frequented. But as a Viet Name War military veteran that has lived in some morally filthy places, am very aware of the kinds of men that readily do so and places they frequent. Likely varies greatly between ethnic groups, cultures, and world regions.

How might someone quantify harassment these days? It seems to be something different to different people. Some people’s opinions on this seen to change only based on what they see other people’s opinions as being. Who defines what harassment of this kind is when it comes to the law.

In the past women have wolf whistled me on numerous occasions; I’ve never felt embarrassed about it. The last time it happened was when I entered a full movie theatre before taking a seat. I’ve never taken offence, & I’ve never wolf whistled a woman.

If I’m out shopping or in a restaurant, sometimes a woman serving me, someone I’ve never met, might call me ‘love’ or ‘darling’, yet god help me if I were ever to do the same. Men I know now won’t even compliment women anymore due to the potential embarrassing retribution, & sorry to say, neither will I. Not through any sense of animosity, but because it seems too dangerous to do so.

I kid yee not, as a joke I’ve wolf whistled some men I know. Some women close by took offence because they thought I was doing at them. It then all seemed ok to these particular women when I pretended to be gay. You can't make this stuff up!

From my own experience of woman around me. When I have seen a man whistling at them the woman’s response can changed depending on how good looking the man might be, or how old the woman is. I see the woman turn around with an expression of disgust, only to turn their face away as a smile develops when they realise how good looking the man is. It’s surprising what a good looking man can get away with, up to a point that is. If a man’s not good looking, than it can be a completely different story.

Last edited:
No, don't agree to criminal offense but if there is harrassment; maybe. How would you prove this? I may have had wolf whistling to me when I was younger but I am hearing impaired and probably didn't hear it...hee hee.
I'm afraid it's going to go down the road of an innocent person being accused of something they didn't do..like so many other things in this country now..

The last time I was wolf whistled was quite a while ago, to say the least. He followed up the whistle with "Hey baby, will you marry me?" It struck me as hilarious for some reason and I laughed and laughed and laughed and he joined in and we laughed together at the absurdity. We parted 'friends!'

eta, NO, I do not think this is an illegal act!

Do you agree that Wolf Whistling should be made a criminal offence ?
No, I am a believer in free speech. No matter how obnoxious or disagreeable, I don't want the government making those decisions...

However I don't like it and would support any and all social pressures to eliminate it.

Never done one, never received one either.

Back