Do you ask the prices of things?

Victor

I have a life long habit of asking the prices of stuff or tickets where ever I go. Does this look cheap?
Like I am poor? Its not that I don't have the money. I do. But I just like knowing ahead of time. I want to know whether it is worth it Some merchants, doctors, dentists, vets, shopkeepers etc. are annoyed or insulted by this. Small business owners take it personally-- to their profit.
They prefer you buy it without questions... many items where I go, have no price tags.

Do you ask the prices of things?​

Can't imagine not asking

If it's not marked, I surely ask

Those that don't mark their goods don't want to limit their profit

Opens the door to dickering, and that's fine with me

Walmart has been a litigant in multiple suits about it' policy of it's the price at the register, not what is posted that you will be charged. A sticker at the bottom of a shelf says, "4.97", but at the register, you are charged , "$5'97". Supposedly 1 in 10 items are like priced. To legally get around this, Walmart has small screens at the checkout, which shows the 'register price'. Of course, as the clerk scans your items, you have seconds to notice the difference from the 'shelf price' and what you are charged. Next you're at Wallyworld, notice the price screens at the check out .And i don't buy anything I don't know what it costs.

If I don't see the price, I don't buy. I think it is the responsibility of every store in this country to show the price. Are they getting so lazy starring at their dumbphones that they no longer can do the retail job the way it ought to be done? Geeee!

Attachments

• smartphone crazy.jpg
    smartphone crazy.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0
Another price checker here: merchants, professionals, service providers like yard work etc. Any business or professional transaction.
The only time I wouldn’t is be like some people I know who when they see a friend or host/hostess has something new ask how much they paid for it. I think that is socially very rude.
I’d ask my son or daughter and they’re welcome to ask me.
Haha, ,anyone else asks me, I’d respond “Are you sure you want to ask me that?”

Years ago we were in a nice restaurant. The special of the day was very similar to a couple of regular meals. Got the bill and it was $10 or so higher. Something like $35 instead of $25. Nothing that special about it either.

Now when they tell me the specials, I ask the price. Probably seem like a picky old lady, but what the heck.

I have a great Vet. She will tell me what a procedure will cost before she does it. course my dog(s) past & present were my life. They are family to me. No $$ is too high. Another good thing is she will tell me if my dog is suffering or will continue to suffer & time to let them go.

I use to buy most of my stuff on Amazon. Then a friend told me about this program called "Honey. https://www.lifewire.com/honey-app-4171926

I'm looking at something on Amazon & Hoey will pop up & show me a place that I can get it much cheaper. I might have to wait a week instead of the 2 days but for $50.00+ better price it's worth it.

The prices are not marked because they are high or the merchant can change them at will. They want you to ask in some places---it shows an interest, and I know a few who feel they are entitled to my business. No browsing, just buy and leave. For examples candy bars are often not priced and no one asks.

At a store like Walmart I use the Price Check if there’s no price on the shelf. Sometimes the same brand is on sale but a similar product within the same line isn’t marked. It may or may not be and without double checking I’d never know.

At a store like Macy’s I hunt down the Price Check, if I wouldn’t buy the product at that price. It’s amazing how many things are on sale and not marked.

The worst place for having to ask the price is at a jewellery store.

Back