Do you blog? Does anyone read it?

So Long, Good Bye, It's Been Good To KnowYou

I have been reading a blog for almost ten years, a blog I considered a model for comments on current events, on political matters, and opinion blogging regarding anything. The man who wrote this blog lives in Cincinnati. He blogged five days a week, fifty-two weeks a year for a little over ten years. I admired him as a blogger and as a writer.

Anyone can write a blog but few can write one for ten years, write something interesting each week and get and sustain a loyal following as he did. He had followers from Seattle, Washington to Tampa, Florida.

After I moved to Oklahoma I didn’t read his blog every day. Some time I would go two or three weeks and not look at it, Then I’d log on and read all he had written and catch up. Over the years we have emailed each other a number of times and I have long thought of him as a friend.

It was a shock yesterday when I signed on and read his last blog. He explained why he was quitting and he had several good reasons. He thanked his loyal followers. Someone commented she was glad she didn’t read this on Friday when it was published, it would have ruined her weekend. Instead she said she read it on Monday ad it ruined her week.

That was similar the way it struct me; he ruined my weekend. It left me sad. I’ve read him so long I supposed he would go on writing even someday as they scattered my ashes. Even when you couldn’t agree with him you admired the way he said what he said, and over the years he introduced me to some interesting people. I’m going to miss Grumpy. Damn it!

One of the other senior forums I frequent encourages blogging, so I have made 4 or 5 post to a blog on there. I think a few folks have read it but not many.

This is my issue also. I sometimes go to blogs through Pinterest. Recipes, sewing tutorials etc. The thing is for one recipe there are 15 pictures. They show flour in the measuring cup, flour in the bowl, a glass container of liquid on and on. Show the finished product and get on with the recipe. I know what a cup of flour looks like!

I find this over and over and it's beyond irritating. I don't get why this is done.

WOW!! This sounds exciting! "Flour in a bowl"!!! My knowledge of computers and the internet in general, is very limited. I never knew that such wonders as you describe were available for poor souls such as I.

Maybe I'll start one on interior house painting and others can come to my site and - - - watch the paint dry!! :)

So, I am having a “blog dilemma” , of sorts.
Several years ago, my oldest son asked me to write down some of the stories that my folks told me when I was growing up, and also some of the stories of my life that I remembered. He said that it would be good to have them somewhere that he and my other two children could read, and my grandchildren once they were older and if they were interested in family history.
I didn’t know the first thing about writing (or starting) a blog; but I followed the instructions on Google Blogger, and started writing stories.

Over time, I just kind of forgot about writing any more stories, so it has just sat unused for the last couple of years. Today, I thought of another interesting story that I wanted to add, but google has changed something on their blogger site, and I can’t sign in to my old blog anymore.
I can see it just fine, but I can’t sign in and add to it.

What I am thinking of doing, is adding the stories into our family facebook group instead. I can just copy and paste the old blog stories, and then add new ones directly into the facebook group as I think of them.

Now, my son says that he is making video stories to pass along from his childhood memories, and he thinks that I should get out my iPhone and make videos , too.
Not sure that I am ready to do that yet, but I can see that it has possibilities.

https://happyflowerlady.blogspot.com/ is my blog if anyone wants to read some of it. It is called “Footprints of Our Past”.

I see forums as kind of a variety menu, whereas a blog is more of a specialized interest kind of thing. With a forum, you browse, and if drawn by a category you spend more time there. It's a passing parade, a smorgasbord. A blog tends to be more focused and consistent. I've blogged occasionally on another senior's site, and maintained a blog on WordPress for over ten years, posting about once a week. While comments are few, the number of views can be surprising, especially those from outside the U.S. It's a pleasant enterprise, particularly if you enjoy writing and sharing perceptions and experiences...

I used to post on an American History blog. While the site's host and several readers enjoyed my posts, the site became inactive due to the advanced age of the posters and because there were too few members. We read many books and I learned quite a lot. If my readings and postings had that been school work I could have earned a BA and gotten a few MA credits. Sadly I will get neither.

Last edited:

Back