Do you eat ramen noodles?

iu

My kids and their friends would come home from school and beg for dads Ramen. Al-dente, strained, only one packet. Olive oil, garlic/onion powder, parmesan, brown sugar. A fork.

I thought it was the best, until I saw (Radishrose's) bowl. That's just not fair.

No, I don't eat them anymore since I switched my diet. I do eat rice noodles instead.
No MSG for me, if I can avoid it. I used to eat at an asian restaurant that had delicious, inexpensive food. One day I went to the restroom and nearly tripped over a large sack of MSG. Never went back to that restaurant again.

We keep some in the cabinet, and if my wife has had a busy day, she makes a quick Supper using these as a primary ingredient. She finds several ways to mix them with other ingredients, such that they always turn out delicious. While we wouldn't want to make a habit of eating them often, once every couple of weeks is good.

We keep some in the cabinet, and if my wife has had a busy day, she makes a quick Supper using these as a primary ingredient. She finds several ways to mix them with other ingredients, such that they always turn out delicious. While we wouldn't want to make a habit of eating them often, once every couple of weeks is good.
Same here. Especially handy if there are bits of left-overs in frig. Never exactly same but my recipe always begins with "saute some chopped onions and ends with a splash of toasted sesame oil."

If it needs more protein, I add a beaten egg drizzled from a fork as you would in making egg drop soup. Let sit without stirring until egg is done.

Last edited:
I heard somewhere that a person could live on a food budget of $140 a year if they just ate ramen (this probably means unadultereated with added ingredients which would cost extra). I am thinking, "Yeah and pay a $20,000 hospital bill when they become malnourished." Ramen is okay once in a while for a quick meal, but I wouldn't want to have to live on it.

No, I don't eat them anymore since I switched my diet. I do eat rice noodles instead.
No MSG for me, if I can avoid it. I used to eat at an asian restaurant that had delicious, inexpensive food. One day I went to the restroom and nearly tripped over a large sack of MSG. Never went back to that restaurant again.
Some spices/seasonings, snacks, canned food and frozen meals have MSG. There is a good chance you will find MSG in your food pantry or frozen food labels. If restaurants use seasonings containing MSG then what you order could have MSG too. I don't like MSG and rarely eat out. The instant noodles from Aldi have no MSG but I don't use the seasoning anyway. When I buy seasonings or processed foods I check the labels to ensure there is no MSG.

I make it sometimes. It's more like a Korean vegetable noodle soup the way I make it.

I start off with waaaay more water than called for(at least 3X). Bring it to a boil, then dump in half of the stuff in the seasoning packets. Add a heaping tsp of low sodium miso and the same amount of (Korean) low sodium hot pepper paste. Bring to a boil.

Then I add half of the ramen noodles. Bring back to a boil then throw in a ton of raw vegetables. Whatever's in my always loaded crisper, plus some from the even more loaded freezer. Zucchini, celery, carrots, mushrooms, bok choy, spinach, baby napa cabbage, shredded red & green cabbage, green onions, bell pepper, snow peas, power greens, etc. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until veggies are tender crisp. At the end I put in a small handful of previously prepped little tofu rectangles that I keep in my fridge.

I eat this once every two weeks or so. Really tasty. Since I don't eat meat and only rarely consume dairy, my meals are loaded with vegetables and fruits. Lots and lots of them!

My current favorite ramen is Nongshim's Shin Black, spicy pot-au-feu flavor.

I learned that cheap ramens have cheap flavorings - mostly salt and msg. Better ramens (this costs about $8.00 for a four pack) have better flavorings and better noodles.

Usually they're sold in Asian markets, but our regular supermarkets have stocked them for years. Maybe if there's a section where they stock Asian food .. ?

Y & Y brand is dried chow mein noodles (virtually the same thing as ramen noodles). They sell them in our Walmart stores and Tesco (which we don't have here).

Y & Y 3 minute chow mein noodles.JPG

Last edited:
I average about once a month. I usually put aside the seasoning packet which I find makes it too salty (I can use that when I need flavoring for a large dish). Cook and drain the noodles then toss with some salt, pepper, margarine, garlic powder, wilted spinach and shredded cheese.

What do you add to yours?
I really liked them when I first tried them, but kinda lost my taste for it.
I'd cook and drain the noodles, never leave water in, and add only half of the seasoning packets.

It's sometimes joked that ramen noodles have kept many a college student from starving due to their low price! As the only member of my household who loves and craves Asian food, I keep ramen noodles in the pantry to provide my "fix" for when it's inconvenient to get Chinese take-out. Ramen noodles can be a nice light lunch when you're tired of sandwiches. I drain the water fully after cooking them as I don't like eating ramen swimming in water. Nissan and other manufacturers also offer larger bowls of the product beyond the basic blocks that include freeze-dried meat and veggie packets to amp up the meal a bit, yet are still a cheap food item...

Back