Do you enjoy crossword puzzles?

Bretrick, I enjoy crosswords, yes. Because I started doing them when I was younger, my parents bought me a dictionary and a thesaurus in case I needed to reference. I've been grateful ever since. I love words.

hollydolly, I can't get my head around Sudoku either...

Bretrick, I enjoy crosswords, yes. Because I started doing them when I was younger, my parents bought me a dictionary and a thesaurus in case I needed to reference. I've been grateful ever since. I love words.

hollydolly, I can't get my head around Sudoku either...
I always have a crossword book with me. Coffee and crosswords go together :)

To all the responders here. I apologise for just now liking your posts. I have stopped receiving notifications for a whole lot of posts.
Admin says it is a problem with my server?
Doubt that but I miss out on so many responses and only come across them when going through my posts.
So, I am not ignoring you all. I simply am not being notified :cry:

I was going to start a thread asking the same question B! And use it as a segway to ask if anyone plays Cody Cross, one of my favorite games. It's a different kind of crossword puzzle. I've done other crosswords in the past but since playing CC, I haven't gone back to them. I remember doing the in the newspaper decades ago. While playing CC I sometimes have to refer to the "cheat" because there's no way anyone can guess all the answers. And you can't go to the next level without finishing a group of puzzles. I always feel smarter when I finish puzzles on my own. 😅 There are Here's a video about CC.
@hollydolly A couple of years ago my honorary daughter and granddaughter, who are whizzes at it, tried to teach me how to play Sudoku. It was very frustrating to think I'd done it right only to find out I didn't (and not understand why I was wrong)!

I was going to start a thread asking the same question B! And use it as a segway to ask if anyone plays Cody Cross, one of my favorite games. It's a different kind of crossword puzzle. I've done other crosswords in the past but since playing CC, I haven't gone back to them. I remember doing the in the newspaper decades ago. While playing CC I sometimes have to refer to the "cheat" because there's no way anyone can guess all the answers. And you can't go to the next level without finishing a group of puzzles. I always feel smarter when I finish puzzles on my own. 😅 There are Here's a video about CC.
I have never heard of Cody Cross. I enjoy a hardcopy myself.
For future reference, Segue, in your context is spelt Segue.
Segway is a personal transportation device.

I have never heard of Cody Cross. I enjoy a hardcopy myself.
For future reference, Segue, in your context is spelt Segue.
Segway is a personal transportation device.
Thank you for the correction...I knew I spelled it wrong! :LOL: So I've heard people say "seg-way" is "seque" pronounced that way? The dictionary says the Segway is "an invented word based on seque". If I thought I could stay upright on one of those things, I'd try it...they look like fun.

Thank you for the correction...I knew I spelled it wrong! :LOL: So I've heard people say "seg-way" is "seque" pronounced that way? The dictionary says the Segway is "an invented word based on seque". If I thought I could stay upright on one of those things, I'd try it...they look like fun.
Driving instructions for Segways
You only need to lean a small amount to start moving forward; too much and the Segway will fall over. Take it slow as you lean.
Once you have control of that speed you can lean further forward for more speed. To slow down, stop leaning and stand upright to slow down and stop.

I like those crossword books where the answers are at the back of the book. ;) 😊
Always good to have the answers.
Once I do the crossword puzzle, those words I do not know, I look at the answer, meaning I learn new words. But I never say I completed the crossword if there are words I do not know and had to look at the answer. :)

I did the NY Times every day of the week
I liked them because the answers were not available until the next day

Mondays were simple/easy
Done in minutes
Triumphant
Rather nice on the ego

Tuesdays were.....doable

Wednesdays...there were lookups
Thesaurus was my bible

Thurs/Fri.....put it down for a bit
Try again
and again
Put it in the bathroom
Tucked into my thesaurus
When I'd visit there, I'd look at it
until both legs fell asleep
Finally resigned to wait 'til tomorrow

Saturday
Settle in with a steaming cup of java
Two hours later; There just isn't enough coffee in the house!!

The clue is vague to the long ass poser of which runs clear across the puzzle, and the answer is so tenebrous there are no lookups
.... here on earth

I do chores
It lays there
neatly folded
by my La-Z-Boy
Waiting for me
Mocking me
Reading light beaming down on it
RELEE (confederate leader) is the only fill in

Saturday evening.......my thesaurus is nothing more than a doorstop
I resolve that I'm too flipping nescient to even have the privilege of owning a newspaper
....except for starting the morning fire

Now....Highlights Magazine puzzles?
Let's talk

Last edited:
My Father was always doing the crossword in the papers and he was really good at it. He would usually be able to complete the whole crossword without referencing any dictionary, et al.
Somehow I started doing crosswords as well and have been doing them for more than 35 years.
My vocabulary is astronomical. If I hear or see a word I have not encountered before then I find out what it means. That is called learning.
I regularly buy a crossword book called, "Mister Wisdoms Whopper", it has 27,
400 word crosswords. I can complete these crosswords in less than an hour. Missing on average 10 words.
When completed, those that I did not know, I look up in the back of the book.
I was doing this one day in a cafe, and someone sitting beside me said, " That's cheating"
I looked at him and simply said, "If you do not know something, what do you do? You find out, yes? It is called learning, not cheating"
Unfortunately he took umbrage and got uppity.
Some people.
I love doing crosswords....Keeps the mind sharp. 😄

I become frustrated trying to do crossword puzzles for I don't spell all that good. To me it's like trying to fit five letters in a seven-block row or 9ine letters in a five-block row.

Back