Do You Know What Percentages You Spend In Each Category?

Our spending is roughly equal to our income (not yet drawing both SS checks or IRA draws). No mortgage, no car loans, no debt and we have a nice cushion. We're conservative in our spending but can buy what we need or want.

At some points in my life I needed to track every penny. Fortunately that's no longer true, nor is it likely to be for the rest of our lives - God willing and the creek don't rise.

What I know about myself is that the more attention I focus on money, the more focused on money I become.
I'm debt free too Star. It's a nice feeling isn't it ! And as indicated above, my income exceeds my expenditures by a nice percentage. I don't need to tap into my retirement nest egg at all. But out of force of habit, I still track my spending. Like you said "God willing and the creek don't rise"..we'll be okay. :D

Hub says he doesn't want to be the richest man in the graveyard so we don't focus a lot on a budget. Love our home and our lifestyle and son is well off so don't have to obsess over finances. Its so nice to be able to give to those less fortunate.

So very grateful. Love the little things, we do - our book budget does need some tightening though...lol. Can't let hub alone in a bookstore for more than 10 minutes!

Life is good, very good for us lucky old folks...lol.

We are into retirement and our spending equals SS, Pension plus Required Minimum Distribution (from IRA).
We are debt free and investments continue to grow. Percentages are roughly the following:
17% Taxes
30% Food and Housing
18% Insurance (Medical, House, Auto)
8% Travel & Entertainment
12% Charities & Gifts
15% Other

Hub says he doesn't want to be the richest man in the graveyard so we don't focus a lot on a budget. Love our home and our lifestyle and son is well off so don't have to obsess over finances. Its so nice to be able to give to those less fortunate.

So very grateful. Love the little things, we do - our book budget does need some tightening though...lol. Can't let hub alone in a bookstore for more than 10 minutes!

Life is good, very good for us lucky old folks...lol.
So glad to read about your comfortable lifestyle Liberty. "Its so nice to be able to give to those less fortunate." I feel the same way. My 19 year old granddaughter is the same way about books, as is my son. My granddaughter's idea of a good time is going to Barnes & Noble. 😅

Interesting discussion, Diva! Without any debt, and a comfortable lifestyle, I'm happy to say I spend less per month than I take in, which allows me a cushion to give to charity and family, or save. I haven't done a percentage pie chart, though.:)
I'm glad you find this thread interesting and I'm happy that you are in a good financial position.

Thank you. As you can see my housing-utility expenses are quite low, as is everything else really. Because of that my income exceeds my expenses, so I have a lot left over to "play" with. More factors are taken into consideration when determining what my obligatory charitable donation will be which is why it's on the high side.
Love your avatar, Diva!

We live in a HCOL area (coastal NorCA) so our fixed expenses are high. I recently worked with our insurance broker and doubled/tripled our coverages, which were woefully out of date. Sent our total insurance bills skyrocketing, but c'est la vie, that's what was needed.

We also have LTCi policies so that is our second biggest expense next to food/dining out, which I lump together because for us the two go hand-in-hand. Spouse is happy to eat at home but I get antsy if I can't dine out regularly. There are literally thousands of restaurants within an hour or less drive in any direction, from our home, and a number of them are deservedly famous in foodie circles.

Fortunately we have a good net monthly income which more than covers everything. It is from pensions (his very large - 40 yrs with one company! - mine modest), my SocSec, and a $3K monthly distribution from our portfolio which is less than 3% of total assets. Last year we established a DAF (Donor Advised Fund) on the advice of our financial advisory firm, for the majority of our charitable contributions.

Charity donations was not a large category for us - probably no more than 15% - but 4 yrs ago we agreed to a sizable donation to an organization we've been affiliated with for almost a decade. They are doing a remodeling project to bring their facility up to date and it's already made a big difference. Because the donation was so large, we spread it out over five years, and after a couple of years our advisors suggested the DAF as a way to front-load our deductible expenses for 2021 taxes. Haven't given all the paperwork yet to our CPA but I think it will make a big difference for this one year.

As others have mentioned, because travel is so restricted these days, that money just sits around unless we find something to spend it on. So, we're getting those minor but annoying small house projects done, when we can get any workmen scheduled. All the tradespeople are BUSY! Good for them, but the consumer has to just be patient and get in line, sigh.

With no kids, a small mortgage at rock-bottom interest (we took it out last year to free up some equity, as we had a costly partial foundation project to fund), our discretionary monthly income is roughly 40% of our net income. This is after paying for all fixed costs except groceries/dining out.

Food/dining out is a large category for us. I love to cook but hate cooking every day, seven days a week. So we dine out two or three times a week. This is down considerably from when we were able to do our multi-day car trips, where we ate out twice a day, for 3-6 days!

We usually traveled every 6-8 weeks, so not that often.....but I really miss it and want to schedule at least 2 or 3 trips this year. One to Napa Valley, at least two to Sonoma County - yum, food and wine for days ...... :D

We live in a HCOL area (coastal NorCA) so our fixed expenses are high. I recently worked with our insurance broker and doubled/tripled our coverages, which were woefully out of date. Sent our total insurance bills skyrocketing, but c'est la vie, that's what was needed.

We also have LTCi policies so that is our second biggest expense next to food/dining out, which I lump together because for us the two go hand-in-hand. Spouse is happy to eat at home but I get antsy if I can't dine out regularly. There are literally thousands of restaurants within an hour or less drive in any direction, from our home, and a number of them are deservedly famous in foodie circles.

Fortunately we have a good net monthly income which more than covers everything. It is from pensions (his very large - 40 yrs with one company! - mine modest), my SocSec, and a $3K monthly distribution from our portfolio which is less than 3% of total assets. Last year we established a DAF (Donor Advised Fund) on the advice of our financial advisory firm, for the majority of our charitable contributions.

Charity donations was not a large category for us - probably no more than 15% - but 4 yrs ago we agreed to a sizable donation to an organization we've been affiliated with for almost a decade. They are doing a remodeling project to bring their facility up to date and it's already made a big difference. Because the donation was so large, we spread it out over five years, and after a couple of years our advisors suggested the DAF as a way to front-load our deductible expenses for 2021 taxes. Haven't given all the paperwork yet to our CPA but I think it will make a big difference for this one year.

As others have mentioned, because travel is so restricted these days, that money just sits around unless we find something to spend it on. So, we're getting those minor but annoying small house projects done, when we can get any workmen scheduled. All the tradespeople are BUSY! Good for them, but the consumer has to just be patient and get in line, sigh.

With no kids, a small mortgage at rock-bottom interest (we took it out last year to free up some equity, as we had a costly partial foundation project to fund), our discretionary monthly income is roughly 40% of our net income. This is after paying for all fixed costs except groceries/dining out.

Food/dining out is a large category for us. I love to cook but hate cooking every day, seven days a week. So we dine out two or three times a week. This is down considerably from when we were able to do our multi-day car trips, where we ate out twice a day, for 3-6 days!

We usually traveled every 6-8 weeks, so not that often.....but I really miss it and want to schedule at least 2 or 3 trips this year. One to Napa Valley, at least two to Sonoma County - yum, food and wine for days ...... :D
I'm glad you're able to enjoy a very comfortable lifestyle. I feel ya about eating out. What sealed the deal for my (then future) husband was that he took me out to eat at least 5 days a week. Part of the reason was he owned a store that closed around 9, sometimes later and he never knew what he felt like having. Another thing was he knew I hated to cook...so I got spoiled. We became the diner king and queen. N.J. has lots of excellent diners with great choices. We also enjoyed the Chinese buffet places. Before he passed, we had cut back quite a bit though and I hardly eat out any more.

I pay no taxes on my RMDs because they are sent from the brokerage to St. Jude's. I know what you mean about needing that vacation time. Before my husband got so sickly, I spent 6 weeks at our timeshare (not concurrent) and would have spent more time but his ailments escalated during the last quarter of 2018. in fact we were supposed to be vacationing his birthday week. I went ahead because he had some business to take care of. He wound up being hospitalized so I had to come home. Shortly after he died, I went to Tampa for 10 days to visit my honorary son and his GF. The same year, I took my first cruise (to Bermuda). I also stayed at our timeshare a couple of weeks. I miss being able to go so often. I vacationed less than 14 days in 2020 and last year. I hope to be able to take at least 3 - 4 weeks this year, more if this pandemic gets under better control. I put the trip I was supposed to take to Tampa this month on hold.

Back