Do You Like Your Laptop, What Brand Do You Have?

I've never owned a laptop but I did use them a lot when I was working. I used whatever brand the techies bought for me but as I recall most were hp. I used them when I needed to take my office on the road. otherwise I used desktops.

Now I use an hp all in one and my tablet. I love the monitor on my all in one but the rest of the machine not so much and hp support and warranty has been a joke.
I'm the same I prefer my Desktop... but I use take the lappy away with me on holidays.. or occasionally I'll use it in the house if I've got to be in another room... . I've also got an Ipad ..and an Iphone so I have plenty options, but for comfort and eae of Use I prefer my desktop Mac.. and 24 inch monitor...

MacBook Pro. I DON'T Recommend it! Bought mine new at the Apple store and it is glitchy. They have a recall out on this model due to the battery catching on fire. The battery is permanently installed, so you can't just swap it out the way you can on older models.
Wow, Duster...thanks for the info. Will as our Apple guys about it. Don't anticipate buying a new one, but sure hoping they get the battery glitch fixed. Seems like batteries are exploding all over the place now days. Look at
the recent Tesla car!

MacBook Pro. I DON'T Recommend it! Bought mine new at the Apple store and it is glitchy. They have a recall out on this model due to the battery catching on fire. The battery is permanently installed, so you can't just swap it out the way you can on older models.

I have two MBP’s never had one minute of trouble out of them. The battery is replaceable on the new ones, just not by the user. The Apple replacement program applied to only one model of the 13” MBP.

Wow, Duster...thanks for the info. Will as our Apple guys about it. Don't anticipate buying a new one, but sure hoping they get the battery glitch fixed. Seems like batteries are exploding all over the place now days. Look at
the recent Tesla car!
Ok, just found out from our "Mac Pro" guy...batteries not an issue now, issues/ complaints on the "butterfly keyboard".

Ok, just found out from our "Mac Pro" guy...batteries not an issue now, issues/ complaints on the "butterfly keyboard".

The 16” has a new scissor keyboard (similar to the old ones), it will migrate to other MacBooks over the next couple of years. Also has a ESC key 👍🏻

The 16” has a new scissor keyboard (similar to the old ones), it will migrate to other MacBooks over the next couple of years. Also has a ESC key 👍🏻
Hey, that might be where the complaints are coming from. Sometimes it takes time to get used to something new.
I've had Macs for so long, everything else would probably be like Greek to learn now.

Hey, that might be where the complaints are coming from. Sometimes it takes time to get used to something new.
I've had Macs for so long, everything else would probably be like Greek to learn now.

The “butterfly“ keyboard never felt quite right. Not as much travel, I missed hitting keys right. I’ve held off on a new one until the keyboard issue was solved.

I looked at the new 16” today, great keyboard, not a much bigger than the 15”. The sound system was unreal, nothing like a normal laptop. I would consider it as a desktop replacement.

The “butterfly“ keyboard never felt quite right. Not as much travel, I missed hitting keys right. I’ve held off on a new one until the keyboard issue was solved.

I looked at the new 16” today, great keyboard, not a much bigger than the 15”. The sound system was unreal, nothing like a normal laptop. I would consider it as a desktop replacement.
Thanks for the info. I use mine mostly on the desktop...do take it out the back deck or around the house once in a while, though. Do you think the new one is heavier than the former models?

It is lighter than my 13” 2008 MBP but it about a pound heavier than current 13” versions. It weighs the same as the 15” it replaced (4.02 lbs). The big deal with it is capacity and speed, up to 64Gb of RAM and up to a 8T SSD. That’s heavy lifting for a laptop. It is expensive, very expensive when loaded. I paid about $2100 for my 2015 MBP with 16Gb and a 512 SSD, $500 or more for a much faster larger version with 1 T SSD is not so bad. But again, I don’t need it right away. The 16” screen is a lot bigger when side by side, and it’s quite a bit brighter than my 2015. They are not upgradable, just like all the newer MBP’s. I’m hopeful the 13” gets similar upgrades in the next year or so, but I’m not holding my breath, nor am I getting any younger. I truly hate the butterfly keyboard.

It is lighter than my 13” 2008 MBP but it about a pound heavier than current 13” versions. It weighs the same as the 15” it replaced (4.02 lbs). The big deal with it is capacity and speed, up to 64Gb of RAM and up to a 8T SSD. That’s heavy lifting for a laptop. It is expensive, very expensive when loaded. I paid about $2100 for my 2015 MBP with 16Gb and a 512 SSD, $500 or more for a much faster larger version with 1 T SSD is not so bad. But again, I don’t need it right away. The 16” screen is a lot bigger when side by side, and it’s quite a bit brighter than my 2015. They are not upgradable, just like all the newer MBP’s. I’m hopeful the 13” gets similar upgrades in the next year or so, but I’m not holding my breath, nor am I getting any younger. I truly hate the butterfly keyboard.
Thanks, I hear 'ya. Macs aren't cheap, but they sure are good. We sold our biz and retired a couple of years ago, and in biz our biz partner nearly always replaced our Macs with used but almost new ones purchased online. Hmmmm.

Ha ha. Mine is working great now, so like you, no plans to upgrade, but it doesn't hurt to keep in the "Mac loop" to keep up to date. Thanks!

I just bought this 17.3 inch HP at Best Buy on sale for $529.99. I'm going to really try to use the mouse that comes with it, but it does seem so foreign to me. Will buy a regular mouse if I really have to. I like this laptop also because it comes with a DVD disc feature, I'm used to that and it's usually what I use to put photos on for saving.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your advice and experiences. 🧡

6299804_sd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000
Just ordered a similar laptop to this one. The outside case broke in the corner a long time ago, and the area where you plug into an electrical outlet is loose. It doesn't close anymore, so it's awkward to carry.

Today I had to jiggle it to get it to work, because the battery doesn't last very long anymore and usually use the laptop to stream a cable news show, while I use my desktop for most other things.

I ordered one for delivery today at BestBuy. HP N5030, 17.3 inch screen, and I believe this one has touch screen option plus regular keyboard. I'm not interested in using a touch screen at all, but hard to find a computer without it these days. Color is silver. $494.99 + free shipping.

6503896_sd.jpg;maxHeight=2000;maxWidth=2000

Can't go too wrong with HP

Love mine
I agree, my husband bought a small HP laptop a couple of years ago, our newspaper delivery was very spotty since Covid, and we just canceled it and he reads it online now. His has a 14 in. screen, but with my bad eyesight, I don't want to go any smaller than the 17.

I just noticed that I posted on this thread in 2019...5 years ago.... and said I had the Mac desktop with a 24 inch screen well it actually has a 27 inch screen... but regardless, I still have it, and I still have my Toshiba Laptop which is 15 years old... I have an upgraded iphone since then..Iphone 12 pro... and my Ipad no longer supports updates yet it's like brand new....8sgh*

...so my 15 year old Toshiba laptop has outlasted my 10 year old Apple Ipad.. which I barely used tbh...

DSCF0971.jpg
this was my laptop in 2009 ( in hotel room while on business). already 2 years old at the time, ... and this is it still a few weeks ago... 15 years later....
laptop-HD-Nov-23.jpg

Last edited:
When the battery on my Dell 'Latitude' failed and the replacement was expensive, I bought a new Dell 'Inspiron' which is fast, light and doesn't get hot like the old one. However I had great difficulty setting up the printer and now some years on, the keyboard is troublesome. Unlike some other models, this laptop does not have an easily replaceable keyboard.

All new or refurbished laptops seem to come with Windows 11 which is bad or 11s where s = satan. As a Linux user, I can wipe the disk and install Linux or dual boot and keep Windows hidden in the background. I just wish I could get a laptop without the OS or one with Linux pre-loaded.

I have a HP tower/desktop with windows 10 which I used for many years, mostly for recording music. Back in 2018 I made the switch to using a Chromebook and semi-retired the tower. I still use it and keep it updated, but my go to device is a Asus 15" Chromebook.

Last edited:

Back