Do You Like Your Laptop, What Brand Do You Have?

Question:
When you buy a laptop and also have a PC, do you have to connect the two somehow or does it do that automatically? I'm clueless with computers. In other words, when I use each, do both have the same emails, photos, websites or do I have to do something to do that.

Question:
When you buy a laptop and also have a PC, do you have to connect the two somehow or does it do that automatically? I'm clueless with computers. In other words, when I use each, do both have the same emails, photos, websites or do I have to do something to do that.
Yes they are in sync. They have the same emails, photos, websites. You just set them up accordingly on both.

I had a Lenovo with Win 8. Then I bought a refurbished Dell , loaded up Ubuntu 16.04 and never looked back. Lots of people said that once you tried Linux, you wouldn't go back to Windows and that was true for me. Most popular software packages are available for Linux and generally free.

I found some difficulty in finding a new printer that worked well with Linux, but found that HP offer very good support.

I'm now wanting a 'bigger' Dell. This one has a fast processor, but I'd like more memory and a bigger screen.

Most of my computers have been HP and if I'm not mistaken, HP manufactures computers for Dell. My last laptop had to be a 17 inch screen to accommodate my visual challenges. The larger screen laptops can get pretty heavy moving them around but I could take it on the road when my sister had to go to Houston for treatments. My laptop cost me about $1,000 +/- but the larger the monitor, the higher the cost. I purchased a wireless mouse and keyboard to use with it. It was easier on my arthritis to use a regular keyboard than the flatter one on a laptop.
I believe you are mistaken: HP does not manufacture Dell computers. You may be confused by the fact that there are overseas companies that manufacture laptops for both companies, in the same facilities, but HP and Dell remain separate entities. Their products are not identical.

The above being said, if someone is privy to information that belies my information, as given, I would be interested in reading any articles on the same.

Here is an interesting article that touches on this subject:https://www.npinc.ca/who-makes-dell-hp-toshiba-acer-apple-laptops/

Sea Breeze said:
I just bought this 17.3 inch HP at Best Buy on sale for $529.99...I like this laptop also because it comes with a DVD disc feature, I'm used to that and it's usually what I use to put photos on for saving.
Congratulations on your new computer purchase. Great price! Love that it has a dvd disk feature! WTG!

Saving to thumb drives is so much easier, and many vehicles now have a usb input on the accessory panel for the audio system. I do like having a DVD player in my vehicles, so I can play old discs, but these days I drop most of my tunes onto thumb drives. As for the computer, I'm sure that the majority of my DVD disc tracks can be found on online music sites, ready for streaming.

I just bought this 17.3 inch HP at Best Buy on sale for $529.99. I'm going to really try to use the mouse that comes with it, but it does seem so foreign to me. Will buy a regular mouse if I really have to. I like this laptop also because it comes with a DVD disc feature, I'm used to that and it's usually what I use to put photos on for saving.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your advice and experiences. 🧡

6299804_sd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000
Enjoy your new toy. @SeaBreeze

Depending on your needs, a Chromebook might be the best tool. You don’t have to deal with all the bloatware of Windows, and are safer from viruses and malware.

iPads are neat, and great for email, content, streaming, etc, but don’t have much in the way of a file handling system outside of Cloud based. The new iPad OS will allow you to move files to and from a USB thumb drive, but it’s a bit clumsy.

I own multiple Apple products and love the platform, but a well equipped MacBook Pro will run about $2,100.

I believe you are mistaken: HP does not manufacture Dell computers. You may be confused by the fact that there are overseas companies that manufacture laptops for both companies, in the same facilities, but HP and Dell remain separate entities. Their products are not identical.

The above being said, if someone is privy to information that belies my information, as given, I would be interested in reading any articles on the same.

Here is an interesting article that touches on this subject:https://www.npinc.ca/who-makes-dell-hp-toshiba-acer-apple-laptops/
LOL Consider myself corrected. I was quite a few years ago I read about a connection with HP and Dell. It may be what you're referring to and my gray cells didn't all cooperate. But, while we're kinda on the subject, I'm under the impression that the Dell computers you see in Walmart cannot be purchased through Dell. But Walmart isn't an OEM or a VAR. Are you privy on anything along that line?

LOL Consider myself corrected. I was quite a few years ago I read about a connection with HP and Dell. It may be what you're referring to and my gray cells didn't all cooperate. But, while we're kinda on the subject, I'm under the impression that the Dell computers you see in Walmart cannot be purchased through Dell. But Walmart isn't an OEM or a VAR. Are you privy on anything along that line?

Most big box retailers contract manufacturers for computers to sell at a price point. They are not the same models, in many cases, that are sold direct. Dell and HP have models that are only sold through certain retailers. Same with big screen TV’s. Samsung has models sold through specific big box retailers (Sam’s Club and Costco) that are slightly different in specs (and product ID) from those sold at Amazon, Best Buy, and other electronic retailers.

That's what I was thinking, too. That was another questionable statement I heard once but was never very sure of. Thanks.

It makes it difficult to compare when shopping. When it comes to large retail chains, it’s the norm for a lot of more expensive electronics. Apple products are an exception, but you must be very cautious to insure it’s the latest model.

Question:
The answer is, "it depends." If you have photos, documents, etc. stored on the hard drive of a computer, they are specific to that machine unless you copy them to the other. Email and other online programs will be the same as your credentials are stored on a remote server.

My 2015 13” MBP is still doing great but the new 16” MacBook Pro is calling my name :cool:
Yep, got that 13" one myself...just wonder if that 16" one might be too big overall...like when you
want to carry it around and plunk it down on the swing or outdoor chair to stab at a while. This one's
heavy enough.

This is a picture of my laptop taken 10 years ago, you can tell how old it is by the fact that my old Blackberry sits next to it, and I've had another Blackberry and 4 iPhones since then.

laptop2009.jpg

However, I'm still using that same laptop.. even though I use Macs for everything else and that Lappy is windows... because today it looks and works exactly as it did 10 years ago..in fact even longer than that...

I took this photo of it with my iphone, just 5 minutes ago, and you can see it's still in perfect working condition.... ( same lappy 10 years apart)

IMG-3925.jpg

The shiny marks on the edge of the keyboard and the screen are just reflections, not damage

Last edited:
I've never owned a laptop but I did use them a lot when I was working. I used whatever brand the techies bought for me but as I recall most were hp. I used them when I needed to take my office on the road. otherwise I used desktops.

Now I use an hp all in one and my tablet. I love the monitor on my all in one but the rest of the machine not so much and hp support and warranty has been a joke.

MacBook Pro. I DON'T Recommend it! Bought mine new at the Apple store and it is glitchy. They have a recall out on this model due to the battery catching on fire. The battery is permanently installed, so you can't just swap it out the way you can on older models.

Back