Do you regret moving to Florida?

That's an interesting comment. I've checked summer temps for a long time between central FL and here in western NY. We typically get 5-10 days of 90 or higher per summer, usually with high humidity -- FL isn't much different except it is like that for months instead of a few days in July/August.

Also, overnight temps are much higher in FL. Here in the boonies it cools off quickly in the evening. Being at the eastern base of a hill, the sun disappears around 7:15 in June, then I have 2 hours of twilight. I don't have AC and I don't even have a fan in my bedroom.

You're right ,Old Dummy, but temps in the 90s are measured more in weeks than months and if you are away from the cities = all asphault and concrete = and live rurally with a lot of trees and grass, nights drop to somewhere in the 70s even when it has reached 90 during the day. Of course, AC and ceiling fans are essential. I'm comfortable with my AC on 80 so even on 85/90 degree days AC is not overworked.

But it isn't for everyone, thank goodness, otherwise my small, quiet, inexpensive, rural community won't stay that way forever.

You're right ,Old Dummy, but temps in the 90s are measured more in weeks than months and if you are away from the cities = all asphault and concrete = and live rurally with a lot of trees and grass, nights drop to somewhere in the 70s even when it has reached 90 during the day. Of course, AC and ceiling fans are essential. I'm comfortable with my AC on 80 so even on 85/90 degree days AC is not overworked.

But it isn't for everyone, thank goodness, otherwise my small, quiet, inexpensive, rural community won't stay that way forever.
We call it "the mean season" in Texas and the South. LOL.

Red above: Yes, I've noticed that when checking summer temps at my friends' farm near Williston.

And the other extreme: Key West, mid-summer highs usually 89-90 with overnight lows of 83-85. I like heat to a point, but how in the world did people live there before AC?

Have any of you grown up in the north, retired and moved to Florida but found out you don't like it there so much, and are considering moving back north?

I'm toying with the idea of buying a small house in The Villages or some place similar. I'm planning on flying down there this summer with my buddy to check things out. He and his wife have a house there (not in a community) and live there for 7 months or so per year, and come back here for the summer at their original house.

For me I would sell what I have here in NYS and would live in FL all year. Been at this spot since 1981 -- on a dirt road in the boonies, surrounded by big hills, right next to a burbling year-round stream. It's pretty nice, but there's a lot of work that goes into living here.

So here we are, more than a year and a half after my OP.

I'm thinking more seriously about this, for political reasons. My friends, mentioned above, had a small house built next to theirs, with plans on renting it during the winter. He wondered last night if I might like to buy it. Wow.

They are way out in the boonies (in the north, near Williston) and that's fine with me. I may go down in the late winter and take a look around.

Back