Do you remember when you first started doing the black power handshake instead of the more traditional one?

I started it back in the seventies with friends that I worked with in the military. To me it was fun trying to do the hand movements the same way they were. They would teach me how to do the style of style of handshake they were doing. It was fun to me for we were friends. I have not started that style of handshake but if the other person starts it, I will play along. There have been a few times since the seventies that I have done it with other guys. The latest one for a group that I am with is doing the fist bump and they say they do it because of the covid thing.

If I could of remembered the sequence I would of been all in. It is a handshake between friends. Never ever heard it described as a black power thing…but if it anything like dancing they would surely have me beat

Nope - never.

One of the weapons based martial arts I was involved with years ago did a thing where you clasped forearms then did a fist bump. More about checking for a concealed dagger than anything 'ethnic.'

My kids tried to teach me that handshake but I'm not that coordinated. Never heard that it was connected to Black power. Furthermore, I gave up the traditional handshake about 4 years before COVID-19. I fist bump anytime someone sticks out their hand. I don't need whatever is on someone's hand from scratching wherever or picking their nose. ;)

Last edited:

Back