Do you still drive? Age?

I am 67. Still drive. But I do limit my night time driving and bad weather driving. If an errand or trip can wait until good weather, or day time, then I wait. I think I will know when it is time to give it up. There are plenty of busses and services here for transportation. At my apartment building, the bus comes every Tuesday to go to the grocery store, then will come back after an hour and a half to pick people up.

Audi fan here as well. They sure are fast but I never want to test its full capability in public. Mine is a 2021 SQ5.

Yes, off topic, but I'm still active on Audiforum. Here are a few pics of my previous S5's.

S5 Cab 1.jpg

daytona_gray_cab_6058de08172611df994dab14396c2f4dbcdaa45f.jpg
s5_side_outside_5feee84437c46ca92c304b89603862b5dd798507.jpg

I needed more trunk room because my career required a lot of travel, so I traded for the A4. It has been the best all-around car I've ever owned.

BTW, I LOVE the SQ5. Well done! 👍

Yes, off topic, but I'm still active on Audiforum. Here are a few pics of my previous S5's.

View attachment 202219

View attachment 202220
View attachment 202221

I needed more trunk room because my career required a lot of travel, so I traded for the A4. It has been the best all-around car I've ever owned.

BTW, I LOVE the SQ5. Well done! 👍
Yes it's quite a big and wonderful change after driving a 20 year old beat up truck for so long. I do a lot of road trips so had to go with a SUV. Not gonna win any races (mainly due to my driving skills) but it's fine by me.

Nope, hardly at all anymore (I can drive to a nearby dog walking park and that's it); I'm 71. The peripheral vision in the human eye starts going downhill at the age of 50 (mine sure has); so the Mature Driver Course from AARP I took recommended that no one over the age of 50 should ever try to make an non-signalized left-hand turn (right-hand turn if your country drives on the left side of the road). And my reaction times have gone to h*ll as well.

72 here and still drive. Ever since my grandson introduced me to gaming, I have been able to maintain and improve my reaction time quite substantially.
Yes it's quite a big and wonderful change after driving a 20 year old beat up truck for so long. I do a lot of road trips so had to go with a SUV. Not gonna win any races (mainly due to my driving skills) but it's fine by me.
Curious you should say that. I'm older than you are, but when I was working I got heavily involved with PCs early in their introduction to business, and took up gaming at home. I've been playing for years and am completely comfortable driving. Much easier than defeating a rift guardian at level 120. (-8

Curious you should say that. I'm older than you are, but when I was working I got heavily involved with PCs early in their introduction to business, and took up gaming at home. I've been playing for years and am completely comfortable driving. Much easier than defeating a rift guardian at level 120. (-8
Is that a Destiny reference? :D

Diablo 3 on a PC. Destiny sounds interesting. My desk is pretty clustered, but maybe it's time to make room for an X Box. (-8
Oh I see. I don't play Destiny but my grandson does. Shooter instead of RPG but just as loot heavy and also on PC. Nowadays I play games I can do in short bursts. While on the subject, I find Forza Horizon 4 and 5 very relaxing driving games. I play on a steering wheel controller and it keeps my reaction time quick and sharp.

road train1.jpgroad train.jpgroad train2.jpg
In her sixties, Lyndal Denny has earned herself the title of Australia's most unlikely trucker. At 54 she traded in her stilettos for a pair of steel-capped boots, a move she admits might be seen as strange by some, but it's a life the South Australia-based mother of two, Ms Denny loves. 'In my previous life as an HR manager, my mechanical capabilities were stretched when I had to put staples in a stapler,' she said.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...y-truck-driver-reveals-changed-career-54.html

I'm 65 but have been retired for several years so my driving skills have gotten rusty.

I do my best to avoid interstates, driving at night or during peak hours/days when most people are on the road but I still manage to drive approx. 5,000 miles per year.

The next step for me is to upgrade my phone and begin exploring the use of car/delivery services to help me maintain my independence.

The most difficult part of the change for me will be the attitude adjustment that comes with giving up car ownership.
I'm down to about 100 miles a month and could easily cut that in half.

I still haven't tried to use the car/delivery services or the local bus service.

I really should begin experimenting with them while I still have other options and can gradually ease into a life without a vehicle.

I keep reminding myself that I made it the first twenty years of my life without a vehicle. :giggle:

Last edited:
I drive on a daily basis, mostly short trips around the area. Covid has limited travel more than driving problems. Recently renewed my license (which required an eye test) and it'll need renewal in 2024. I no longer drive after dark through my own judgement - no restriction on my present license.

My wife and I drove to our daughter's home last week and I drove the 200 miles for a stay at the cottage last August. Both trips out of state. I prefer the Interstates as there are less concerns with bicyclists, pedestrians, and stop and go traffic.

No problems so far and I just turned 88 last month.

69 and still driving.

My grandfather owned a car and drove to 95. He still had a valid driver's license when he died, just a few days before what would have been his 100th birthday.

His eyesight was not too good, but under restrictions on his license it just said "uncorrectable vision". He failed the eye tests but still got the license and was legal to drive. He had a letter from his eye doctor saying that there was nothing more that could be done to fix his vision. Apparently at that time in Louisiana all you had to do was give it a try...

Back