Do you still use a dish cloth in the kitchen?

My mother used a “dishcloth “ when I was growing up & I hated the icky thing. I used sponges till Handiwipes came out& I use one of them for wiping down counters and appliances & a scrubber/sponge that come 6 in a $1 bag at the $ store for dishes & pans. My cooking doesn’t require the steel scrubbers at all. Handiwipes can go thru quite a few machine washings before falling apart.

Do you still use a dish cloth in the kitchen?

I don't even use the kitchen
(haven't been let in there since the compost salad episode)

But

If I did use the kitchen;
Yes, I'd use the dish cloth
And bar towels
Love the bar towels

I use a nylon brush for dishes. For tougher dried-on food, I use the "Scrub Daddy."
For counters, I use a paper towel & Windex. I'd rather use something on surfaces that will be thrown away.

Never used dish cloths, only sponges.
Yes, I use sponges also...but just cleaning after dinner....like the counter and the tables...
dish cloths are only for drying the dishes, cups and anything you have washed...
I put the dishcloths in the washer every day..I have many dishcloths.....
Also, I do put the dishes in the washier, daily...
I also put sponges in hot hot water.....We never died yet!!!!!

Sponges are filled with bacteria. To kill the bacteria wet them and microwave on high for 60 seconds. I add a little bleach to the Dawn soap and use dish rags. I have not used my dishwasher since the water occasionally makes everything stink like Sulphur so you have to wash everything by hand.

I got into the habit of using a dishrag years ago for counter clean up, and still do.... And I use Clorox Wipes for food spills.
My supply of Clorox Wipes is down to two tubes ... hope they get some in the grocery store soon. It's been a while since I've seen any.

I knit my own dishcloths. Toss whatever one I am using in the washer every other day. I need to get on the stick (literally) and knit a few new ones. I like them better than sponges.
When knitted larger, I much prefer a knitted dishcloth to that of a cheap, rinky-dink store-bought version, because a knitted cloth is more fuller, and I actually feel as though I'm holding onto something.

Sponges are filled with bacteria. To kill the bacteria wet them and microwave on high for 60 seconds. I add a little bleach to the Dawn soap and use dish rags. I have not used my dishwasher since the water occasionally makes everything stink like Sulphur so you have to wash everything by hand.
My dishwasher doesn't have a smell....sponges can go in the dishwasher....But mostly I get rid of them and by new ones...
We don't have a Sulphur smell....It's a new dishwasher....I really like to wash the dishes with hot water....I only use the dishwasher
when we have people here for dinner.....

My dishwasher doesn't have a smell....sponges can go in the dishwasher....But mostly I get rid of them and by new ones...
We don't have a Sulphur smell....It's a new dishwasher....I really like to wash the dishes with hot water....I only use the dishwasher
when we have people here for dinner.....
I hear that using a dishwasher saves more money, even over the amount of electricity it needs.

It was dish rag when I was growing up but is now a dish cloth. A dish towel is used for drying dishes and my oven handle also holds a hand towel for my hand washings which were numerous even before C-19.

In honor of Mother Earth, I do wash and reuse as opposed to disposable or single use whenever possible/practical.

I used to use dish cloths but found they start smelling quickly so instead I use the packaged handy wipes and I put them in the washer and dryer too they are reusable. I also use a metal scrubber and soap pads.

I've been doing dishes more by hand now because I'm trying not to use the dishwasher as much. The dishwashing pods are so expensive so I'll cut down using them by washing dishes by hand.

I used to use dish cloths but found they start smelling quickly so instead I use the packaged handy wipes and I put them in the washer and dryer too they are reusable. I also use a metal scrubber and soap pads.

I've been doing dishes more by hand now because I'm trying not to use the dishwasher as much. The dishwashing pods are so expensive so I'll cut down using them by washing dishes by hand.
Once, sometimes twice weekly, I soak my dishcloths (overnight) in a little bleach and water - right in the kitchen sink. They come out so clean and fresh and stain-free, and the freshness lasts for days.

Back