Doctor Arrested For Hit & Run Fatality

win231

SF VIP
For months, investigators searched for the driver of the SUV that they say stopped, got out of the vehicle for a moment before getting back in and driving away. Eight months later, there was a break in the case when an anonymous tip came in through Crimestoppers.
Just as the investigation was hitting a dead end, the tipster provided a possible location of the suspect vehicle.
Officers were able to cross-reference the information with surveillance from the area of the crash.
CHP issued a search warrant and 68-year-old James Comazzi, a doctor from Sonora, was taken into custody without incident Monday night.

https://abc7.com/juliana-ramos-doct...tuolomne-county-arrest-fresno-crash/11089769/

This morning the news is reporting that a little 3 year old boy followed a dog into the woods. The dog came back but the 3 year old did not. Searchers have been out looking for him. What really bothers me is that there is a lake near there. They are searching there too. I know how easily a 2 or 3 year old can slip away as I remember how my girls were at that age. Hoping and praying they find him well.

wow. And his victim was a nurse, and her 4-month old baby was in her car when this POS hit and killed her, and took off.

He's in deep deep doo doo. Deservedly.
Not so deep as he should be.
His Attorney: "Your honor, this heroic doctor has devoted his entire life to saving countless lives, while risking his own life to treat patients while we're in the grip of this Covid pandemic. One...... mistake doesn't cancel out all the good he has done. Besides, the doctor didn't realize he hit a person; it was dark & he was tired, sleepy & overworked because of his utter devotion to helping people. He thought he hit a deer."

He will probably accept a plea deal that involves only a fine & probation. If it goes to trial, jurors will be carefully chosen based on their sense of "Hero Worship."

Last edited:
Not so deep as he should be.
His Attorney: "Your honor, this heroic doctor has devoted his entire life to saving countless lives, while risking his own life to treat patients while we're in the grip of this Covid pandemic. One...... mistake doesn't cancel out all the good he has done. Besides, the doctor didn't realize he hit a person; it was dark & he was tired, sleepy & overworked because of his utter devotion to helping people. He thought he hit a deer."

He will probably accept a plea deal that involves only a fine & probation. If it goes to trial, jurors will be carefully chosen based on their sense of "Hero Worship."
Hopefully His or Her Honor won't be so swept away.

I worked as a psychiatric nurse for a while, and even a lowly psych nurse takes an oath to stop and help in emergency situations, no matter how tired you are. Wasn't the nurse he ran over doing exactly that? I mean, there had to be a scene there, right?...an injured person being attended to by a heroic nurse? And she probably had some light source....which she won't be able to testify to.

That old fart's got me PO'ed.

This morning the news is reporting that a little 3 year old boy followed a dog into the woods. The dog came back but the 3 year old did not. Searchers have been out looking for him. What really bothers me is that there is a lake near there. They are searching there too. I know how easily a 2 or 3 year old can slip away as I remember how my girls were at that age. Hoping and praying they find him well.
I hate stories like that. But most of the time a child gets lost in the woods, they are found. Doesn't seem like it because those stories don't get as much publicity as the ones with tragic endings.

Hopefully His or Her Honor won't be so swept away.

I worked as a psychiatric nurse for a while, and even a lowly psych nurse takes an oath to stop and help in emergency situations, no matter how tired you are. Wasn't the nurse he ran over doing exactly that? I mean, there had to be a scene there, right?...an injured person being attended to by a heroic nurse? And she probably had some light source....which she won't be able to testify to.

That old fart's got me PO'ed.
Whenever our pathetic justice system is involved, we can expect to be PO'ed.

I hate stories like that. But most of the time a child gets lost in the woods, they are found. Doesn't seem like it because those stories don't get as much publicity as the ones with tragic endings.
As of this morning he still has not been found. They were unloading groceries from their car and he was playing with the neighbor's dog. They called for him and the dog came back but he didn't. They have drained the water nearby. I need to check the local news to see if he has been found.

He thought he hit a deer.
A claim likely to be made, who knows if it's true.

I doubt it was premeditated, more likely negligence, the accident anyway. However I would be suspicious about the leaving, good chance he knew or suspected what had happened and just wanted to escape blame. He got out and looked, did the nurse and baby really appear to be a deer? If he knew or suspected the truth that would be particularly bad for a doctor, he might have been able to render aid and save her and/or the baby.

If I were on the jury the "saving countless lives" argument would just appear as arrogance to me, and I'd have no sympathy for the "tired, sleepy & overworked because of his utter devotion to helping people." thing. The only relevant question should be did he or should he have known what he had done, and was he drunk or otherwise voluntarily impaired at the time. Of course I would also want to know if the knew or had any relationship with the woman. But then I ain't likely to make it onto such a jury.

terry123 post about the little boy. They found him on day four and he is dehydrated with some scratches on his body. Spent one day in the hospital getting checked out and then went home. Finally great ending to a sad tory. The mother was heart sick and I'm sure now she will keep close tabs on her little boy from now on.

Back