Does anybody live in a foreign country?

We live in the US but our son who, who has lived in Sweden for the last 30 + years has tried to talk us into moving to an apartment over his garage. I love Sweden but I just wouldn't be happy living out of the U.S. I am a visitor when I go there and I'm sure that's always how I would feel.

I felt like a foreigner when I moved to the UK for many months even though I loved living here. But it's felt like home for many years. Been here 15 in April.

I lived in a small village in northern India for two years - shopped in their outdoor stalls and markets, cooked food in an Indian floor kitchen and had my clothes made by a local tailor. I was sad and at the same time glad to return to the west.

I lived in a small village in northern India for two years - shopped in their outdoor stalls and markets, cooked food in an Indian floor kitchen and had my clothes made by a local tailor. I was sad and at the same time glad to return to the west.

I was really torn when we left Uganda after two years. I was homesick for Scotland but knew I'd really miss Uganda and the people. Burst into tears several times during our last week or so.

I understand that completely AS, I cried all the way to the airport when I was leaving, but I could have kissed the ground when I returned to Canada.

I understand that completely AS, I cried all the way to the airport when I was leaving, but I could have kissed the ground when I returned to Canada.

After we arrived at the airport and were being driven along a country road I saw a field of sheep and I nearly burst into tears! I did have a strong desire to kiss my washing machine, my hot shower, and the clean tap water.

Thanks for sharing your blog, AS, I can really relate to what's in there. :)

I'm really glad I kept a blog the entire 2 years. It's nice to go back and read sometimes.

How did you feel on your arrival in India? When we arrived in Uganda I was scared to death and on the ride from the airport I was thinking 'oh sh*t, what have I agreed to????'. Much different on the way home.

It was late at night when we arrived and I was exhausted, hungry and dirty, but relieved to finally get there after a very long trip. I think I was in some kind of shock -- I just couldn't believe I was there and the whole thing seemed very unreal.

I might write about it sometime in a journal -- Your blog is a good idea.

It was late at night when we arrived and I was exhausted, hungry and dirty, but relieved to finally get there after a very long trip. I think I was in some kind of shock -- I just couldn't believe I was there and the whole thing seemed very unreal.

I might write about it sometime in a journal -- Your blog is a good idea.

I had regretted not keeping a journal or blog when I moved to Scotland, so decided that wouldn't happen with Uganda. We had dead slow internet using a mobile phone signal on my laptop, so uploading photos took forever. Had to reduce the size on them a lot to get them to load.

For the past 23 years I have spent 5 to 6 months living in New Zealand and the other 5 to six months in a age restricted active adult retirement communityin Roseville Ca. Now except for some travel I am permanately in California.

For the past 23 years I have spent 5 to 6 months living in New Zealand and the other 5 to six months in a age restricted active adult retirement communityin Roseville Ca. Now except for some travel I am permanately in California.

That sounds wonderful, Lon. I have yet to visit NZ as we keep going other places first.

I guess you could say we are living in two countries now since we spent 2 months in Thailand last winter and will spend 3 months this coming winter. A few people asked if we'd thought about living in Thailand permanently but I'd miss Scotland too much even with it's less than perfect climate. So, no.

I live in the same foreign country as Lon does - California. :bigwink:

I lived in Germany for almost ten years from the early 70s to the early 80s. My husband was military and instead of being transferred back and forth to the US every 2 or 3 years, we elected to just stay for an extended time. I loved every minute of it. I went everywhere and saw and did everything I possibly could. I felt quite at home there. One of the high points was when my mother came over on a visit and she and I spent a week in Italy. It was wonderful!

I lived in Germany for almost ten years from the early 70s to the early 80s. My husband was military and instead of being transferred back and forth to the US every 2 or 3 years, we elected to just stay for an extended time. I loved every minute of it. I went everywhere and saw and did everything I possibly could. I felt quite at home there. One of the high points was when my mother came over on a visit and she and I spent a week in Italy. It was wonderful!

I've known several people who have lived in Germany and loved it. Except for going down the motorway, I haven't visited Germany.

Shortly after I retired about six years ago I moved to Thailand. It is a country that I have visited about twice a year since 1987 and decided years ago I would move here. For me with not much income than SS it was a great move financially as well safety reasons. The people are great, the food is delicious and with the exception of the monsoon season the weather if always warm.

Are there anybody else on the forum living in a foreign country?
Yes, moved to Australia in 1972 on a 2 year working contract.
At first I felt we'd landed on the moon-so different from what we were used to in San Jose, Calif.
Middle daughter adjusted quickly, was treated well by other immigrant families, but not so the youngest daughter (then 11).
The "last straw" when kids encircled her chanting: "Yankee Doodle Dandy" or some such!
From then on I took her to work with me and placed her in the adjoining primary school.
The beginning was both harsh and exciting. :jumelles:

Yes, moved to Australia in 1972 on a 2 year working contract.
At first I felt we'd landed on the moon-so different from what we were used to in San Jose, Calif.
Middle daughter adjusted quickly, was treated well by other immigrant families, but not so the youngest daughter (then 11).
The "last straw" when kids encircled her chanting: "Yankee Doodle Dandy" or some such!
From then on I took her to work with me and placed her in the adjoining primary school.
The beginning was both harsh and exciting. :jumelles:

My husband's brother went about 1975 or 76. Married an Aussie and has two beautiful daughters. Two daughters of another brother moved there much later and their uncle sponsored them. Husband's cousins moved there in the 1950's.

I moved to Panama about 5 years ago. It is the best decision I ever made. The weather is perfect and my living costs are about 60% less than staying in Texas. Health care is super affordable and Panamanian doctors (who usually speak English) put CARE back in to healtcare.

I was born in the states, Mother hated it here, took me back to Italy when I was a few months old. Lived there until I was five.
Do not know if I lived in a foreign country then or if I am living in a foreign country now. :bigwink:

Last edited:

Back