Does anybody still write in shorthand?​

Never been around anybody doing shorthand
Did have this secretary that typed like crazy
Electric typewriter
The words just sprayed onto the paper
...and no mistakes
Filled out all my export docs

Me, my two fingers are pretty good.....as long as I look at the keyboard

When I was very young, my Mom was a executive secretary at General Dynamics in Ft. Worth.
She was very good at shorthand as I recall.

When I started school and started to learn to write in Cursive, I would look at her Steno Pad ? with the shorthand.

Years later when I was in Project Management, I tried to teach myself Shorthand as I was constantly having to write Project related memo's and taking Meeting Notes and Minutes, etc.

It was No Joy for me to learn Shorthand.

Since retiring earlier this year, I have been making a effort to slowdown and try to write neater. I have been sending folks, relatives and Congress Members hand wrote letters. I have also been sending friends and relatives Post Cards when we are on our Road Trips all over the country.

When I sign Credit Card receipts - I have had young folks comment that they can read my cursive signature - as I am really slowing down and trying to write neater.

What is interesting to me is that several of the younger folks / clerks etc tell me that they do not know how to write in Cursive.

The only thing constant is Change....

Was an executive legal secretary for a while. Used Gregg shorthand a lot. And an IBM executive typewriter.
Remember white out? Uck. Better to be accurate in the first place. Fast and accurate was the goal!

Nope, but had a friend who was an expert in an archaic version of German shorthand.

Turned out Heinrich Harrer (Seven Years in Tibet) kept notes in that version of short hand whilst he was in Tibet. My friend, who had a family connection to Harrer, got to help translate some of his notes. Both are now gone, probably not many folks conversant in that left...

Took a class one year writing 'Notehand' which is a version of shorthand I guess. Mostly girls in the class which made it more enjoyable. Used it a few times later for college classes. Forgot most of it.

Two years of Gregg shorthand in high school, and I really didn't care for it - my dyslexia got in the way, and made it double hard.
I worried that my days of getting a good job depended on it.
Turns out I went into accounting, and shorthand never entered into the picture. WHEW!

After being out of university for a year, I decided to take a one year business course. This decision was based on the idea of getting into a business gave one access to other jobs within the organization. It was true. I only had to use shorthand once and was absolutely horrid at it.
Now that I rarely write anything now, I’ve forgotten the basic symbols.

I took Gregg shorthand in high school along with typing so I could do office work. The office work I have done never required it. I still remember most of it because I have been making mental notes with it ever since.
I learned sten and typing in high school too, never used either in the workplace. I can type fairly well, but don't remember any sten.

I took shorthand in business school, back in the early 80's. I don't remember any of it, lol. I was a good typist, averaging 60 wpm. Now I make nearly that many errors!:geek:

Back