Does anyone know how to use these sauces?

Ruth n Jersey

I do love to cook although mine has to be gluten free. I had a large coupon for Kikkoman sauces and bought these two. I often do this because if I have a recipe and it calls for a particular item I rarely follow through and buy the ingredient. If I buy an item I know nothing about then I'm forced to find a use for it. It seems I can put the Katsu sauce on pork like a BBQ sauce. The Oyster sauce I'm not sure of. Have any of you tried these sauces? sauce (800x600).jpg

I've never cooked with them, but have eaten them in restaurants. I saw this online-

Use as a sauce with tonkatsu (fried pork cutlets, or chicken cutlets) and katsudon, or as a sauce to accompany grilled chicken, turkey, pork, steaks or fish.

Mama uses the Oyster Sauce all the time in oriental stir fried veggie dishes......a little goes a long way.

I'm not sure what the Katsu sauce is used for.

I think the Katsu is more used in Japanese dishes. I only ordered Chicken Katsu once in the Japenese restaurant where we used to have lunch at least once a week. Didn`t really care for it too much. Oyster sauce is used more in Chinese dishes-at least as far as I have seen.

Katsu is made from catsup with some other added ingredients, mostly catsup with a build of umami added to it. It's used as a dip for panko chicken or pork, and I've seen it used in place of catsup on burgers. If you're interested in researching, you might want to go onto the internet and read the history of catsup or ketchup. It's pretty interesting.

https://www.thespruce.com/ketchup-catsup-history-1807618

Oyster sauce is used to add a umami depth to other sauces. I don't think I've ever seen it used as a principal ingredient, always one of several other sauces used to build a flavor. A bottle can last a verrrry long time.

Oyster sauce is often used in stir fried recipes such as "Beef Broccoli". At least that's what I use it for. I have not checked on the web but I'm sure you could find dozens of ways to use it.

Oyster sauce alone is pretty potent. The big issue with it is the taste varies by brand so you may try one brand and not like it and another you may like. Lee Kum Kee is one brand I like. Stir fry sauce recipes are also varied so try this- mix equal parts of a little oyster sauce with soy sauce (Kikkoman), hoisin sauce, sherry and a pinch of brown or white sugar. Heat it up for a few seconds to taste it then modify as you like. Try this if you are a steak eater. Mix equal parts of oyster sauce and Lee & Perrin Worcestershire sauce. I know nothin about Katsu sauce but it sounds Japanese.

Back