Does anyone subscribe to a digital edition of a newspaper?

I'm seriously thinking of it. Trying to get the news on tv is getting more and more hopeless, especially early in the morning when it seems to be nothing but 'magazine' programmes. You get far more information on the internet but there is a lot of celeb stuff, which doesn't interest me. I'm still looking for a good news site. Once I find one, I shan't mind paying for it.

The terms of their agreement state that after the year is up they'll bill $17 per month. That's presuming you don't renegotiate, which I always do.

CC companies are very good at catching and refunding egregious renewal rate bumps.

Despite Google News pushing NYT and Washington Post to the top of news searches, I still do not subscribe. There are enough news sources with ad revenue that are 'free' to read without subscribing.

I've just started using Newzit as my news homepage and am hopeful that it'll learn my reading habits. It's in beta. Statement in their 'about' section: "In time the home pages you visit most often will be presented to you first." I've only used it a week or so and it has still got Drudge Report, NYT, Fox News and Washington Post as the top four ...same as when I started using it last week. I'm hoping that eventually less biased homepages will replace these.

Last edited:
Despite Google News pushing NYT and Washington Post to the top of news searches, I still do not subscribe. There are enough news sources with ad revenue that are 'free' to read without subscribing.

I've just started using Newzit as my news homepage and am hopeful that it'll learn my reading habits. It's in beta. Statement in their 'about' section: "In time the home pages you visit most often will be presented to you first." I've only used it a week or so and it has still got Drudge Report, NYT, Fox News and Washington Post as the top four ...same as when I started using it last week. I'm hoping that eventually less biased homepages will replace these.
Thank you for sharing.

I don't use Google browsers or search engines and haven't ever checked into Google News. Interesting that it pushes NYT and WaPo. They must pay Google extra to be at the top of the ad heap.

But here's the thing. You can only read so many pages of the Washington Post and then you are cut off unless you subscribe. So if you go to Google News and there is an article there that you are interested in, it's behind a pay wall.
That's why I subscribed to the digital edition. I like the Washington Post because I belong to a political forum.

We gave up on print newspapers, too much propaganda. There are many, many better things online.

I find just the opposite to be true, too much propaganda from sourced that do not have print versions. When I subscribe to a newspaper with a print version I find it valuable that the writers are working for the newspaper and there is an editorial staff to both question the information and sources for their writer's articles and hold them to the standards of the newspaper.

I'd be interested in examples of propaganda from printed newspapers. There are definitely editorial and ideological slants, but based on my understanding or propaganda I wouldn't call anything there propaganda.

I subscribe to both the Washington Post and New York Times. I'm getting the NYT at $1 a week and paid $29 for a year of the WP. I have appointments on my calendar in my iPhone a few days before time to cancel my subscription so I don't get charged their standard rate when the special rate is over.

The free sources I find most valuable for information and news are Sciencenews.org, ProPublica, Huffington Post and Mother Jones. Yes I do get some of my information from sources that are slanted the same way I am.

@asp3, Propublica is indeed a great source. HuffPo and Mother Jones are unapologetically strong left-leaners, which I bear in mind when reading their articles.
I'd subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, but their rates are beyond what I'm willing to spend.

Will have to look into sciencenews.org, thanks for the tip.

The trouble is, most people do.

When trying to figure out the truth about an issue, I read a mix of known biased sources plus the most neutral ones I can find. Then try to figure it out from there.

If there is something that I become more interested in I do more digging and get more sources to try to get a full picture. The reason I read more of the left leaning publications is that they sometimes provide more information about issues that I'm interested in. From there I can determine whether or not I want to dig deeper and try to get a full understanding of the issues.

I generally think that most news outlets present the facts but they leave out some facts or emphasize facts that are more in line with their world view. I would also say that in many cases where inaccurate, incorrect or outright false information is often done unintentionally and is usually corrected. Some organizations corrections don't get put out as prominently as I feel they should be, but I think most can be found if one looks for them.

When something that I think is important happens I watch Fox News for a while to see what their spin on it is. Sometimes it's completely ignored, other times I disagree with the level of importance that it's framed as. Sometimes they surprise me and present it in a way that I think is fair and balanced.

Back