Does it bother you that your grandkids will live a different lifestyle than you did?

You were born in the age of the gas engine, your grand and great-grandkids will be born into the age of self driving electric cars. We don't now know what huge changes will come in the future- nobody in the 17th Century saw personal computers coming.
Does it bother you that your great -grandkids and your grandkids will live a different lifestyle than you did?

I worry more about a couple Nukes going off and ruining all the GPS etc stuff. People get used to stuff gradually. Roads being fixed that sort of stuff too. Our Generations faced challenges, so will our Great Grand Children. They will do their best most likely. Some will still be homeless too. Maybe the massive movement of populations away from seacoasts to higher ground / making barriers, will be the largest challenge.

Looking at high tides and Tsunamis. It's most likely easy to foreplan for all the harsh weather events and the expansion / effect to /of the peoples affected. The Lowlands of Earth maybe unlivable most of the time passable by boats. Places like the Smokies leveled for large building sights. Inhabitable like normal. One can notice it already happening, even along the cliffs of the river Valleys.

Growing up a Rural Farm Boy and watching the Creeks flood several times a year taught me to always live at or near the top of a hill.
The Big City, Burbs bunch know no better than to live low elevations. Jobs etc. many in flood plains.

Basically 100' above flood / high tide has been my belief. Most likely the Future level will be 200' above flood / high tide if I were to live to 200 years of age. Around 2014 I looked at a home in the Florida Panhandle. 24' above high tide. Walked away, it will all flood most likely many times.

FEMA Updates Flood Maps in Sonoma County, Santa Rosa and Windsor
Even the Gov. tries to hide stuff. Most likely the strain on the people will be much worser than we can imagine. Of course the flash floods are nothing like a large River flooding for a month and a half. But adding that to the High sea Water at the wrong times and the River Valleys become uninhabitable for months also when the Levies are breeched / topped. Mississippi, Louisiana, East Texas, even some of Arkansas in
deep H2O.

Sure, the future is all doom and gloom. Nothing has changed.

Last edited:
Not really. I know that it is easy to complain with all that is going on in the world right now and all of the changes that have come so fast but I would not trade my time era for the era my grandparents lived in and I hope that the grandkids and great grandkids from our generation say the same as they get older.

My grandparents grew up without indoor plumbing, and so did my parents from time to time.

I'm still not convinced that self-driving cars will be a thing, electric or not (also dubious for many reasons). More likely the urban anthills where they'd be practical will just ban private vehicles and go all mass transit and bicycles.

Most people hadn't a clue about personal computers through the 1970s, forget the 17th Century.

The bigger changes were things like central heating, air conditioning, frequent long-distance travel, and mass produced products. The average smug "gardener" probably buys more crap and leaves behind a bigger trail of garbage than most other people do.

But urbanization and the resulting de-emphasizing of having and raising children probably means even more of our economy gets spent on infantilized slave animals. At least until robotic alternatives that can be shut away when they get in the way even easier become prevalent. The Planet Of The Apes movies suggested this was the downfall of mankind, but many others warn about the dangers of robot "pets and slaves" taking over.

No. I think the modern world is making people superficial and whiny over too many things. The grandkids are champion whiners already. They strike out at their parents if told to do something they don't want to do. I realize they are just little kids, but man they get away with a lot. I tell my son, better to correct them now than wait for the Judge to do it later. Of course I only tell him stuff like that when he whines about it during our text sessions. He works for the state prison, so he knows what I mean.

While I don't worry about my grandkids, I do worry about civil unrest and the possibility of WWIII. That said, the previous posters all made some good points. I grew up in Chicago, and learned at a very early age that if you want something, you have to work for it. That attitude was shared by many of my peers, and I believe we all did fairly well in life. What I've often seen with younger generations is the "entitlement" attitude, and I have a problem with that.

I have to add, many of our leaders have and continue to set bad examples for younger generations to emulate. It's mainly in politics, but also the entertainment world as well. I guess much of it comes down to is just a lack of respect, which is so prevalent today.

As I've said way too often the last few years, "I'm glad I'm the age I am" (79 years & 50 weeks).

YES!

I mainly worry about 2 things: that my grandkids will see military action first-hand, and that they'll live in an America that doesn't provide adequate medical care and is no longer one of the forerunners of advancements in medical research, technology and treatment. (already starting to nose-dive)

YES!

I mainly worry about 2 things: that my grandkids will see military action first-hand, and that they'll live in an America that doesn't provide adequate medical care and is no longer one of the forerunners of advancements in medical research, technology and treatment. (already starting to nose-dive)
how old are your grandchildren now , frank ?

Back