Does Life Really Amount to Much?

To me this life is everything. I'm one of those who believe that our current life on this world is all that we are given. I balance trying to get the most out of this life as possible, working to be a positive point in the lives of those people I come into contact with and try to do things that will improve the lives of others and those who will come into this world in the future.

I think there are many ways to make ones life amount to a lot even if one is never remembered beyond the lives of those one has a positive influence on.

Here today gone tomorrow. If a person is truly remarkable they may be remembered by their grandchildren once in a while. After that most of us are forgotten. If that is all there is what is the point - we might as well be dust in the wind.

My hope comes in believing there is more to come.
Here today to ask the question Does Life Really Amount To Much beats never being. As for being remembered why does it matter, since being remembered as evil is a possibility.

I don't feel like this life amounts to much because we came into this world with nothing and we will go back out with nothing. I'm not concerned so much with that space in between. It would be nice to be happy and live a fairy tale life but that crap only happens in Lifetime movies. I believe there will be more than we could ever imagine in the after. I'm excited to see what's in store for me when I enter heaven. Mostly I just wanna see God. I wanna hug him and tell him how much I love him.

I think we need to just do the best we can to get through this life and leave a trail of kindness as we go. And hope for the best. What else is there to do? Sometimes I look at our lives and I often wonder what our purpose is for even being here. My life amounts to nothing. Must be some reason for it.
I think we are not here for ourselves we are here for others. Isn’t that why JC was born and died-not for himself but others. If I had not adopted my disabled boys I am sure my total care son would have ended up at the state hospital and maybe my other boy as well.

What would have happened to @Murrmurr foster child if he had not been there to take him?

Dont think in terms of yourselves, think in terms of the endless amount of other people lives you changed by simply being there. Your life amounts to a lot as does everyones.

I think life amounts to what you feel you need to do to make it the best life for yourself and for those that you influence.

In the broad scheme of things though
individual life doesn't seem to amount to all that much unless you have some kind of great influence.

My father always said that family was the most important thing and with my brothers and sister it has been that way but I really haven't had my own family except for my pet family which I hold dearly and try to do the best for. I don't know if any people will ever appreciate that but I'm sure my pets have.

I think life amounts to what you feel you need to do to make it the best life for yourself and for those that you influence.

In the broad scheme of things though
individual life doesn't seem to amount to all that much unless you have some kind of great influence.

My father always said that family was the most important thing and with my brothers and sister it has been that way but I really haven't had my own family except for my pet family which I hold dearly and try to do the best for. I don't know if any people will ever appreciate that but I'm sure my pets have.
Family does not have to be biologically related to us. I've had friends who were much closer than those who shared my genes.

I'm more concerned with the people that I remember and the impact that they had on my life.

I understand what you are saying and I see it when I visit the local cemeteries to put Memorial Day pots on family graves. The children, parents, and grandparents are often honored and remembered but beyond that there doesn't seem to be much recognition. I suppose that we can take some solace in the fact that without those forgotten people we would not have the more recent generations in our hearts and minds.

"You are part of a puzzle in someone’s life. You may never know where you fit. But, someone’s life may never be complete without you in it."
- Unknown

IMO, all persons on Earth have a legacy. For many living their life is a struggle to survive, and to help others also survive.
I've thought about dieing with no legacy. Three children I'm proud of, yeah, but I also hope my Essential Tremor (amateur) poetry will be part of my legacy. But then, after I'm dead, who cares! lol

Here today gone tomorrow. If a person is truly remarkable they may be remembered by their grandchildren once in a while. After that most of us are forgotten. If that is all there is what is the point - we might as well be dust in the wind.

If you reread this post I don't recall Gardenlover asking if we thought we had a purpose to be here for others. He simply asked if we felt like we personally had a purpose and that is how I responded. But thankyou for your input.
I think we are not here for ourselves we are here for others. Isn’t that why JC was born and died-not for himself but others. If I had not adopted my disabled boys I am sure my total care son would have ended up at the state hospital and maybe my other boy as well.

What would have happened to @Murrmurr foster child if he had not been there to take him?

Dont think in terms of yourselves, think in terms of the endless amount of other people lives you changed by simply being there. Your life amounts to a lot as does everyones.

The question does life really amount to much? Only humans ask a question as this, makes me wonder why animals don’t ask themselves the same question? Perhaps animals have better things to do unlike inquisitive humans.
I wonder if animals are happier than humans or they just don’t care? Personally I want to know if life is worth it, or perhaps the question is merely a philosophical exercise in determining how we feel about ourselves today.

Last edited:
Life, is what it is for each of us. Your life may seem not so hot to your self, but for all you know, someone else and many others gain a good mood having you around (even if they don't seem to you to show it). Why bother contemplating if life is worth it. Satisfied with life or not, my hope for you is you find life worth it. :)

Gardenlover...Great question and one i think we all have considered at one time or another. I remember when it dawned on me that if there was nothing I would 'never know'.. lol don't ask why but for some reason that was a reassuring and somehow reinforced my belief in life after life..I have read so many philosophies and religions that now I do not comprehend how anyone does not believe in an afterlife.

My pets are not biologically related to me but they are my family and they are who really matter to me now. People not so much. Well, some people do matter to me--the ones I matter to also but there aren't many. And that is okay.
Animals are certainly easier to live with than people!

Back