Does the age of your ancestors at death tend to foretell your life expectancy?

Well, lets see. 3 of my grandparents were dead before I was born. The fourth died when I was 4. Mom died at 66 and dad at 79.My oldest bro is in his 80s. I am 69 and middle brother died at 72. One uncle died at 44. Others lived into 70s and 80s/

My Maternal Grandfather lived to be 98. He smoked for most of his life. My mother used to roll his cigarettes when she was a child.

My Paternal Grandfather died at 70, but he was a lifelong alcoholic with a history of heart issues.

My Paternal Grandmother died at 75 from Alzheimers.

My Father lived a healthy and mobile life to 78 but passed away suddenly from a twisted bowel that could have been corrected. He could have lived a lot longer if it had properly diagnosed.

My Mother lived to 89 and was mobile into her early 80's. She had TIA's and epileptic seizures for over 30 years. She passed away from congestive heart failure.

Based on the genetics passed on from my parents, I'm hoping to live into my 80's if nothing unforeseen happens. I'm 65 now. We'll see. Medicine continues to advance.

Both grandfathers died of cardiac events in their late 50's, both grandmothers lived into their mid 90's.
My father died at 83 of pancreatic cancer, Mom at 94 of congestive heart failure.
Both of my brothers checked out at 73, one four years after the other....of cardiac failure.

None of them took very good care of their health and wellness........poor diet, sedentary lifestyle and overweight. Dad was a secret drinker and we all pretended we didn't know.
I however have never been overweight, eat a Mediterranean diet and do 30 minutes of moderate cardio exercise every night and about 15 minutes of moderate upper body muscle building every morning. And quit a heavy drinking habit 22 years ago.

My father died at the age of 81 from Parkinson’s Disease and it’s complications.

My mother died at the age of 90, longer than anyone in my family’s history had ever lived. She had dementia at the end, and was about to enter the “memory care” unit at her assisted living center. She shunned doctors, never had recommended health screenings, and drank heavily. My sister and I joked that she had preserved herself to the age she reached with alcohol… 🍺

I forgot to mention that nobody on my side of the family died of cancer or even had it.
On the other hand my husband died of colon cancer and there was a lot of cancer on his side…not so good for my kids!
They both started getting colonoscopies early.

In my case I don't hope so. Both of my grandfathers died at a young age. My father died at my present age. At least I still would have half a year to live 🤣.

Last edited:
Nope, they all smoked! I have already outlived my dad, older sister...but I still need a few years to outlive my late mother. She was very sick for a few years before dying due to emphysema...

Does the age of your ancestors at death tend to foretell your life expectancy?​

Not really!

My very distant caveman relative, Harry, was eaten at the age of 22 by a sabre toothed tiger, but there are no sabre toothed tigers living in my area. 😊

Back