Does Your State/Country have a FREE downloadable library for its citizens?

SeaRaven

I live in NH, we have a free state library of downloadable books and audiobooks through the LIBBY app. All I need is my library card to access. Best sellers have wait times but thousands of other books and magazines can be downloaded for free immediately. Just wondering if this is prevalent all over?

I live in NH, we have a free state library of downloadable books and audiobooks through the LIBBY app. All I need is my library card to access. Best sellers have wait times but thousands of other books and magazines can be downloaded for free immediately. Just wondering if this is prevalent all over?
I use that all the time! It's a great resource! I'm just finishing up a Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, which is the biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer that I got from Libby through the Denver Public Library.

I use that all the time! It's a great resource! I'm just finishing up a Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, which is the biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer that I got from Libby through the Denver Public Library.
You know what's REALLY great about getting free LIBBY books? You don't feel guilty about returning them when you don't like them. No Money Spent!

Well I'm just learning about this, someone in another thread mentioned this and I've just signed up with the Houston Library and Overdrive.
Is Libby better than Overdrive or does it matter???
Anyway I'm just feeling my way around for now, seeing how this works.

Well I'm just learning about this, someone in another thread mentioned this and I've just signed up with the Houston Library and Overdrive.
Is Libby better than Overdrive or does it matter???
Anyway I'm just feeling my way around for now, seeing how this works.
I think it's the Overdrive Library at LIBBY. It saves lots of money; you return books whenever you want; you have the books for 7-14 days depending on popularity; put books on hold; cost is your library card.
When my granddaughter visits, we download kids books and I return them when she leaves in a day or 2.

I'm not sure if our library system has it or not but I wouldn't use it anyway. I'm used to that tactile feeling of a book and I can keep it for 3 weeks with a 1 week extension. While I'm at the library, I will pick up DVD's as well. Physically going to a library gets you out of the house and you get some social interaction, and just browsing around you might find something you hadn't considered.

I don't go to the library anymore. The internet has many free books on the subjects that I am interested in. More than I will probably ever be able to finish. Try Global Grey. All the books are free or you can make a small donation if you like. No pressure. 🙂

I'm not sure if our library system has it or not but I wouldn't use it anyway. I'm used to that tactile feeling of a book and I can keep it for 3 weeks with a 1 week extension. While I'm at the library, I will pick up DVD's as well. Physically going to a library gets you out of the house and you get some social interaction, and just browsing around you might find something you hadn't considered.
Libraries ARE a great place to go to get out of the house. Many people still prefer the feel of paper between their fingers as they turn pages, along with the heft of a book in their arms

Many cities and states have lending libraries. Look under "Resources" at your local library's online site.
You just might be surprised at some of the offerings there. There also is a site that allows access to millions
of publications as well as audio and visual offerings, and even much, much more. Try - The Internet Archive

Libraries ARE a great place to go to get out of the house. Many people still prefer the feel of paper between their fingers as they turn pages, along with the heft of a book in their arms
I prefer ebooks, simply because I can adjust the font to make it easier for my eyes to focus. I have a stigmatism in one eye. Otherwise, I'd probably prefer print books.

Then again, with ebooks, there's no waste, so it's more environmentally friendly... noting to dump into landfills when you're finished with it.

But mainly because of my poor eyesight.

I think it's the Overdrive Library at LIBBY. It saves lots of money; you return books whenever you want; you have the books for 7-14 days depending on popularity; put books on hold; cost is your library card.
When my granddaughter visits, we download kids books and I return them when she leaves in a day or 2.
Thank you, SeaRaven, for the reply....I use my Android tablet as a reader and have Kindle and Book Buddy downloaded....I read a lot mostly when I go to bed at night, with Book Buddy, I hardly ever pay over $3 for a book....I've got used to this system, but it looks like the library will offer a better variety and at no cost, so I'm certainly going to give it a try. Thank you again for the good info.

Illinois is very organized for this. Mainly around chicago area. I Share network lists library holdings. Also hoopla and kanopy for videos. You can also check worldcatorg for your zipcode or nation. If it is a member of worldcat

Back