Don't come crying to me and other sayings from our parents.

My Mother hated me chewing gum. She said it was made out of Chinese fingernails?? I also liked to fill in the letter O when reading the newspaper, just a bad habit ,and my Mum said i would end up in jail. I don't know where she got these silly sayings from.

My mother was big on forcing her food tastes on me, and even when I was a child forced me to eat certain foods “before you get anything else.” But that’s for a thread on abuse…

For lesser food fights, my mother used put-downs and disparagements. If I declined a certain food, she’s taunt, “Aww, you don’t know what’s GOOD!” More piggishly, if I’d decline a certain food, she might say, “Good then, more for ME!

Yessir, meal times could be fun times in my childhood! It was all about control, really…😩

whats for dinner........bread and pullit..........
dont pick your nose........your eyes will fall out .......
if lightening strikes, your face will stay like that ...when pulling faces

I heard so many of these! Must have been in the 1950 version of the parenting handbook. When I wouldn’t eat my crusts of bread, she told me to think of the starving Armenians. She never told me why they were starving, or how eating my bread crust would help. I once offered to send my crusts to Armenia. It was not received well. Never did that again.

Boy, didn't you hear me calling you?....I'll slap you so hard you'll think that lightning struck....so you think that you're grown enough to talk back?....how come there are no A's on your report card?....eat everything on your plate.

I heard so many of these! Must have been in the 1950 version of the parenting handbook. When I wouldn’t eat my crusts of bread, she told me to think of the starving Armenians. She never told me why they were starving, or how eating my bread crust would help. I once offered to send my crusts to Armenia. It was not received well. Never did that again.
Everybody had different starving people to worry about.

For us, it was the Starving Africans, because that's where our church's missionaries were. According to my mother, an entire African village could live for a week on what was left on my plate and would be grateful as heck for it.

My late husband was Catholic, so he got shamed with the Starving Chinese Babies. A hundred Starving Babies could be raised to adulthood on those breadcrusts he left on his plate.

My dad said it was the Starving Armenians for him. Apparently, they could convert an uneaten helping of spinach into a village feast.

Like Carol, offering to send your leftovers to Africa, China or Armenia didn’t quite do the trick and often meant no dessert...."IF YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY ENOUGH TO EAT THOSE LIMA BEANS, YOU MUST NOT BE HUNGRY FOR JELLO!!!

No wonder I'm fat.

When we would ask my Granny, "what is that" (usually for the umpteenth time) she would say "It's a layover to catch meddlers". No idea what that meant - and I think that was the idea.

My favorite nonsensical saying of hers was, when talking about going somewhere:
"If you get there first make a mark on the door. If I get there first I'll erase it."

My dad would say "don't kick a man when he's down".
My mom would count crows and say things like "don't get caught short in the woods"
When my grandmother heard the clinking sound she would say "who's in my candy dish?" Not really a saying but she said it a lot.

At the bus-stop I was earwigging two women.

One said to the other, "Whatever you do, don't get too close to the manager, his breath smells so bad, it would knock a horse out."
The other said, "You want to smell the other end."

They both turned and gave me one of those looks when they heard me laughing. 😊

"It's a beautiful day!"

Uh-oh. This meant we'd be locked out of the house for several hours.
Wow. That's horrible. We kind of had the opposite, not released from the house or yard for weeks. Both are wrong. And I'm sorry that was done to you. Kids should be allowed to go out and play and allowed back in what is supposed to be their home when they want to.

Back