Don't Mess with Alabama

The BBC does not/ did not grab people out of their homes for non payment of licences. Where on earth did that notion come from??

The BBC employs a company which looks into the issue of licences. If it comes to light that fees are not paid, they then issue a warning and the matter then has to be taken before the Court system. Anyone who is “grabbed” from their home would certainly be involved in other illegal activities.

Interesting to note, there are millions of people who no longer pay for a TV licence and since the BBC cannot compete with other streaming services, they are at this point going to announce the UK government’s intention to abolish the BBC licence fee altogether!

About time in my opinion!

HC... my friend...I personally know 2 people who were jailed for non payment of the TV licence, one of them was a mother of 6 children .. who was arrested at 6am while still in her nightie. She was taken straight to Holloway prison, and 48 hours later when someone paid the fine.. she was released at 6am..out on the streets in the same nightie to wait for someone to pick her up

Semantics as to whether you can go to jail for not buying the licence or not paying the fine.. both are a criminal offence...

I should know having worked for the BBC for 30 years, and my husband still works there after 40 years..
I wonder where that leaves me. I have never paid a TV Licence. Have never been fined for not buying one, & never been to prison. I have registered with TV Licencing however, saying that I don't need one. As far as I'm aware, Ive never been visited by TV Licencing. If they have visited, I can only presume I was out away from home at the time.

I wonder where that leaves me. I have never paid a TV Licence. Have never been fined for not buying one, & never been to prison. I have registered with TV Licencing however, saying that I don't need one. As far as I'm aware, Ive never been visited by TV Licencing. If they have visited, I can only presume I was out away from home at the time.
that's all you have to do if you've never bought a TV..is to register to say you don't have one. Plenty people do.. and if they have no record of you having one, they'll generally leave you alone.

Last edited:

Back