Don't Wait Too Long To Retire

"If you can afford it" is the key element. However, assuming you can afford it, there is still the issue brought up by Babs, "..but after two months of not having a job...he didn't know what to do with himself and went out and got a part time job".

I was fortunate in that I learned from my Dad's mistakes. He retired, finished up on a Friday, went to the dinner, got his gold watch, and went home with a big grin on his face. Saturday he raked the leaves (no change). Sunday he went to church and watched football (no change). Monday morning he looked out the door and saw Harry going off to work as well as, Mary, and others. He got himself a cup of coffee and relished his ability to not head out on such a cold, drizzly morning. - - - - - That got old fast.

Dad had figured out what he wasn't going to do when retired (work) - but not what he was going to do. It wasn't long before he was sitting behind the counter in the local liquor store.

Learning from that I headed south to Florida to a community loaded with contemporaries - all wanting to enjoy life. That was 22 years ago and I haven't doubted my decision for a minute.

I've been retired 9 years. Boredom has never been an issue.
I worked full time till I was 75. I did not want to retire but due to the taxman I was advised to by a financial adviser.
Since retiring my late wife and I had some wonderful holidays. Travelling Europe.
I am now 89 and am a very lucky man. I can still walk for hours, I need a stick though as I tend to wobble without one. Although I wear glasses I can see as well as the next man, I still have good hearing, I still do all my own housework in spite of living on my own, I do my own cooking and laundry. I still drive and have done so since 1945 and have never had a claim made against me or had to make a claim. I suffer no serious illness. I spent eight years in His Majesties army and served in Italy, Egypt and Malaya. I have to admit I have slowed down rather a lot now and no longer itch to go away for a holiday. I am quite content to stay as I am.

I worked full time till I was 75. I did not want to retire but due to the taxman I was advised to by a financial adviser.
Since retiring my late wife and I had some wonderful holidays. Travelling Europe.
I am now 89 and am a very lucky man. I can still walk for hours, I need a stick though as I tend to wobble without one. Although I wear glasses I can see as well as the next man, I still have good hearing, I still do all my own housework in spite of living on my own, I do my own cooking and laundry. I still drive and have done so since 1945 and have never had a claim made against me or had to make a claim. I suffer no serious illness. I spent eight years in His Majesties army and served in Italy, Egypt and Malaya. I have to admit I have slowed down rather a lot now and no longer itch to go away for a holiday. I am quite content to stay as I am.

You sound quite content. :)

I retired at 55. Spent the first two years of retirement in Uganda where husband volunteered. Since then we go on long trips, short trips, keep very fit, go on long bike rides.....etc.

I eased myself into retirement.

Was working full time until age 65, then just gradually eased off into part time work until I was 69.

Decided then that I really didn't want to go out working for the little return of income, so cut the final link.

I still go out a few times a week, to do volunteer work, but I have time for my garden and my home.

I retired six years ago, almost seven at 59....now have a part time hardware job (4 years)...still enjoyihg the days there and the money helps as well....it is all going into our ira

There are many people in many different financial situations on this board.

As I've mentioned I have not been as smart with money as I wish I had although I've never gone into debt. My own insecurities stopped me from buying a condo fearing I couldn't afford it even though I was making decent money as an RN. That was 1999' When I started looking again it was 2001 and every thing was sold sold sold. Ended up buying a house in another town in this county. Miserable choice. When I finally decided I had enough of harassment by neighbors and put it on the market, it was 2008 and it sold early 2009 just as everything in real estate tanked. I would be in better shape had I had enough two years earlier.

Still, I'm better off than many.

Back