Drop-ins (unannounced visits)

I can remember that too. Usually it was family. They would just walk in too. Door was always unlocked. Not anymore. At least not where I live. And today especially would not want a drop in. What if someone in the house is unwell?
I would not do it.

I can remember that too. Usually it was family. They would just walk in too. Door was always unlocked. Not anymore. At least not where I live. And today especially would not want a drop in. What if someone in the house is unwell?
I would not do it.
See I find that so terribly odd. My parents locked the doors of the house & the cars my whole life. And I do too. I don't know how anyone could feel safe just leaving their door unlocked where just anyone could've walked in. Even back then.

See I find that so terribly odd. My parents locked the doors of the house & the cars my whole life. And I do too. I don't know how anyone could feel safe just leaving their door unlocked where just anyone could've walked in. Even back then.
I get your point. But I grew up in small town USA. We did not lock our doors during the day if at home. At night, locked. Now is different. If I am home, door is locked. If I am out sitting on my deck, front door locked. I always lock my car too.

I get your point. But I grew up in small town USA. We did not lock our doors during the day if at home. At night, locked. Now is different. If I am home, door is locked. If I am out sitting on my deck, front door locked. I always lock my car too.
We did too Marie. And it was always the people who left everything unlocked that got robbed. LOL

The back door was unlocked if us kids were out playing but the front door was locked. Mom had one eye on her chores & one eye on us kids at all times.

I would love it if someone would drop by for a chat or coffee or whatever and bring their kids as well. When you think about it. It's a compliment. They value your company. If you lose your life companion you lose all her friends as well. As you get older there's not too many around. Some people resent their own kids coming over. Others complain they don't see them enough. There's plenty of time to be alone.

No drop-ins here. The place is locked up. Even my son has to go to an open window and yell "Hey Mah". Used to be I'd be in the bathroom with the door open and they'd just come walking up the steps. WTH? Give me a sec.

Why not? Why not lock your doors? What is so difficult about door locking? What was the point of Not locking doors? Hard to remember to carry your keys? Afraid of being locked out?

Well I think now with the advent of the virus drop-ins are definitely a thing of the past, even if some folks were still doing that.

after I left my ex and had my own house, my teenage kids would have friends over all the time. There would be no call no check in, some kid would just show up at the door looking for one of mine. Of course they were always welcome no matter what was going on. My house was a safe haven for everyone.

Those same teens, now adults some with kids of their own, know they’re always welcome, but very seldom drop in unannounced, of course we’re talking before the virus and quarantine. No matter what they would always call first, primarily because we always had a busy social life and weren’t always home.

But if they needed a pit stop or wanted to borrow something, they all know the key code so they could just come by anyway.

Why not? Why not lock your doors? What is so difficult about door locking? What was the point of Not locking doors? Hard to remember to carry your keys? Afraid of being locked out?
The reason we didn't lock doors in the good old days is because there wasn't the threat that there is now. It's just something you never thought of. I used to ride a bike to high school. Hundreds of bikes in the parking lot. No one locked their bike and no bikes got stolen. It was a different time of life. Nowadays you have to lock up your bike and even then they will steal them because they have cutters that can cut the cable. I have had four bikes stolen at my apartment. Now I take the front wheel off and lock it as well. They won't steal a bike they can't ride. So what do they do? They slash the seat in frustration. Steal a car? Unheard of. Now they hijack cars and your life is in danger. They get arrested now, and are out on the street the next day on probation and then they are arrested again for breaking probation. The jails are revolving doors.

Exactly the same for me. I also have a monitored home alarm system and five security cameras.

Remember when people just showed up/dropped in for a visit, without calling? Heck, I used to do it and plenty did it to me. "Just stopped by to see how you're doin' "There was a time when it was very common. Sometimes people would show up with their entire family. It was rare for anyone to say "We can't have company right now, we're getting ready to eat dinner". My parents often took us to visit people without calling, and people (usually relatives) did the same to us.

Things changed......now I would be very displeased. No excuse for not calling or texting in advance! People might be in the bathroom, eating dinner, in the middle of a disagreement, asleep, 'busy', getting ready to go out, ......whatever. It's very poor manners to just "show up". :mad:
I'm with you on the second section, but not the first. In the areas where I lived, dropping in unannounced was always considered to be bad form.

Doors were locked when we were out. Only unlocked during the day when we were at home. Again, I grew up in a very small town

when i lived by myself i use to have a lot of drop ins---i had a ex sister in law that hadnt called me in years she said she would come over some day-i said call me first-she wanted to no why--i told her i might be laying down or taking a shower-she came by anyway with out calling i didnt answer the door--she knew i was home because my car was out front-i caught her looking in my window--i havent heard from her since-thats been 12 years ago

Back