Dumb thing you did as a kid?

Someone upthread mentioned gum getting stuck in hair. I was about 6 and had a huge stash of bubble gum hidden under my bed. Next morning when I tried to lift my head the pillow came with it. My poor mom was scurrying trying to get all of us fed, dressed, etc.
OMG, then she discovered my mess.😱 😥I pretended I was sick, didn't work. Somehow we made it to the bus stop.

When I was about 10, I coordinated the decorating of our living room walls with dozens (hundreds?) of old Christmas cards held up with flour & water paste. Dad was not pleased. 😱😠 My younger brothers and I had to undo that mess.

I would often go into the large woods nearby for the day, all by myself and look for anything interesting to bring back home. Sometimes I had one of the dogs for company. But never worried about being alone, and back then didn't think it was dumb.. 😄
Oh, the good ole days....

Last edited:
Racing the neighbors Jersey bull across his pasture to the best fishing hole on the local creek. It was a matter of calculating the respective starting positions of the race participants while estimating our initial acceleration, expected average speed over the ground, trajectory angles and intercepts and variables such as mandated cow pie avoidance

Over my boyhood, this race was held many times (always after enough time had passed since our last meeting to allow me to stop shaking and stop uttering little squeaks of terror at unopportune moments}. I genuinely believe the bull enjoyed the encounters because of the spirited way in which he participated. While I, on the other hand, was content to end up laying in one piece on the grass as a panting quivering lump of boy, with the barb wire safely between myself and Mr. Bull.

Was it worth the risk? Sure, after all, the fishing was fantastic at that hole, and the return trip was always easier because that old bull never could see well in the dark which made it much harder for him to properly lead his target.

Last edited:

Back