Dump Cake

Everyone in my awareness range had been raving about dump cake, so I though I'd try to make one. I followed the recipe below, but when I took it out of the oven, the cake mix was just as dry and powdery as when I put it in to bake. What's going on?

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick butter

Spread cherry filling in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Add pineapple with the juice and spread this over the cherries. Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the fruit and dot with cubes of butter. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Let cool before serving.

I've never made one but I googled it and many of the pictures look similar to the one you describe.

I would put a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on it while it's still warm and keep practicing with different versions of the recipe!!!

Good luck!

You can mix the cherry pie filling and the crushed pineapple together, and then put the cake mix on top, or even mix it in with the bottom layer.
The butter needs to be put in small amounts all over the top of the cake mix.

Last edited:
Never heard of Dump Cake till now.

Question....does it stay together when sliced or is it served sort of like a crumble cake?

Think of it as cobbler .. After all this talk, I think I need to make one again

iu

Pre-diabetes days I occasionally made dump cakes. The friend who passed the recipe on to me said it worked best to (1) use real butter (2) put the stick in the freezer for a while (3) carefully grate over the top and spread well.

I think it more resembles a cobbler than a cake and would have called it that had I originally named it. Whatever it's called, it's wonderfully easy and hard to turn out a bad one. Good alone but fantastic with ice cream, whipped cream/topping or a rich vanilla dessert sauce - the kind that is only a distant memory for me now.

People seem to be dieting all the time. LOL

There wasn't that many in church this week and considering half leave after the service and don't stay for the coffee fellowship, I think some may have had seconds. It was a 9 x 13 inch pan.

I used to make them all the time for church pot luck suppers. They never lasted long and they are more of a cobbler than a cake. I called them a cobbler.

Back